Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read an article Why are Americans Afraid? | Just One Opinion

It got me thinking about how persuaded we are of our fear of things that may not even exist over our love for the good things we have. I remember watching a short video of one of those big bushy bearded Indian wise man who summarized an interesting point of us never living life because we live in fear of the imaginations of what could happen. We fear things that merely exist within our mind and not in the present and that fearing things that do not exist is insanity though this form is a socially accepted insanity.
I found this rather resonating with myself as I minimize the potential for reward and risk in living a lesser life due to my fear of the bad things and not focusing on the positive outcomes. My fear of making mistakes confines me to a life that isn't really living at all.

So my question to you all is do you feel safe to walk through your neighborhood during the day? The night? Are there people who make you uncomfortable to be around simply by how they look? Are their places that you notice everyone else avoids or has a bad reputation for but isn't as bad as they say?

I know that my city is growing in junkies and drug users, theres lots of people on our social welfare called the Dole and theres plenty of people of a less refined humanity with poor attitudes to people and life in general living in lower socioeconomical areas and these places get a bad wrap on being unsafe and a threat to your wellbeing.
I realized these people exist but I still have walked my streets drunk late at night many times without any fuss and have no issues with people in any area.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Generally, I feel pretty safe, but there are some things I just won't do. I was very sheltered growing up. My parents didn't allow my brother and I to play in the street until we were teens. We always locked doors. We never went out after a certain time of night. Even now as an adult (albeit, an adult who has moved temporarily back in with her parents while I try to get another job), my parents try to keep me from driving around at night, or going downtown, or opting to walk somewhere instead of drive (even in daylight!) .

It really affected my outlook on the world, and since I was (am) already introverted, those fears caused me to retreat even further into myself. I still lock doors, and I don't take walks at night alone, but I love driving aimlessly at late hours. So I take small steps like that. It's not in my nature to be reckless, but I do want to live life, so everyday I try to make that happen a little bit at a time.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes I generally feel pretty safe. Granted, I live in a small town right now, but I have lived in the city before and felt safe then too. Like JZfs720, I tend to not be reckless, so maybe that's part of it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yes actually. I feel safe in general in life. I have had many a friend/boyfriend/mother shake their head at me. Like, oh, poor naive little thing. And I'm smart enough to realize they are somewhat correct. But I know terrible things happen to people every day, and that the world is not always a safe place. However, I feel safe innately. And I like to go with this because even though something could harm me, I don't want to live my life in anticipation of harm possibly coming to me. I lock my door at night, I don't walk down dark alleys or anything like that, but thats about it. I feel safe and I'm glad I do.

·
5,120 Posts
When it comes to violence I usually feel safe, I limit my life way to much because of irrational fears of other kinds, socially related etc. But I very rarely fear anything when walking alone at night etc. I like walking alone throught the city at night, nothing has ever happened this far, some car has stopped with someone suspicious trying to "give me a ride home", but as long as not being stupid enought to get in a car with some complete stranger at night, I don't think I have that much to fear. The work I have had the last years often means walking around late at night alone with lots of keys to peoples homes, sometimes a grocerybad full of medicines even, sometimes visiting potentially dangerous people alone in their homes, still nothing has happened to me, a few collegues has had some trouble, but put in proportion, no life has ever been threatened or anything of the sort, there is just not anything to win in being afraid. I think one should always weigh those things against each other: potential threat vs. what one loose by being afraid. When it comes to the job the only thing I feel is worth changing because of fear is delivering the medicines, I don't hand them out at night any longer if it can be avoided. It can be done in the daytime or by car without any loss to anyone.

We have a door that locks itself, and as many live here and it is difficult to know if anyone is still home it is convenient, but when I lived in other places we never locked the door when home, it seems like more of a risk than protection, if there is a fire none can get in to save you etc. I think this even though I had a breakin when home alone once, the burghlars didn't know I was there though, they had been watching and knew the others living in the appartment had left for the evening. I was a bit afraid after that for a while, but got over it, noone was hurt and the insurance covered the things stolen after all. This was in an area of the city that is known to be a bit rough, lots of crimes, but I felt safe there, people were kind, always offered to help carrying things up the steep hill etc. After the break in I felt a bit unsafe as I was a witness and the neighbour and his gang seemed to be involved and they watched me when I came and went, felt threatfull. But going around being scared won't protect anyone, people that want to steal stuff will find a way, if you lock the door they will get it opened, if people drive instead of walking they will steal from the cars etc. That is what I think anyway. But then of course it is one thing to come to the conclusion that one ought not be scared and to make yourself actually not feel scared, it need to be worked on.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
I have always been a fearful person and I grew up in a very paranoid and sheltered family. I wasn't even allowed to go outside by myself until I was 14 1/2!

I have an interest in missing persons cases, and from reading those it's kind of scary to see how easily someone can disappear. I refuse to go outside at night alone unless it's completely unavoidable, or it's a well-lit area with lots of people around. I won't even go outside alone at night to take out the garbage. I have my fiance go with me. I always let my fiance know when I'm going somewhere, when I expect to be back, and when I get home. If he and I are going somewhere we wouldn't normally go, like hiking or something, I will let someone else know, like my mom.

However, I don't usually feel afraid going outside in the daytime. I live and work in urban areas so there's always people around. Even in the suburban neighborhood where I grew up, I didn't feel unsafe going for walks alone during the daytime.

My neighborhood isn't terrible (it used to be a lot worse...my fiance grew up here and when he was 14 he almost got hit by stray bullets from a gang shootout), but there are some suspicious characters around. We've heard homeless people fighting at night in the park near our house, and there was at least one occasion where this really sketchy guy was standing on the street corner near where we were about to park, and he looked so sketchy that we both decided to find another parking spot. We have to have our mail sent to a PO Box because some scum of the earth lowlife once stole two packages out of our mailbox. But I feel like most of the people in our neighborhood are just regular people. I'm mostly just afraid of serial killers.

I used to be more reckless when I was younger. Like for example once I went to a party with someone who I didn't really know that well, I didn't even know what town the party was in, and I got REALLY high at the party and actually accepted a ride from a stranger to my boyfriend-at-the-time's apartment because the person who I went to the party with was unable to drive me. It was like 2 AM too. I didn't even know 75% of what was going on, I could barely see (when I got out of the car I had to find where the apartment building was by process of elimination) and I wasn't even able to talk properly. Luckily the guy who offered me a ride was just a Good Samaritan and not a serial killer or rapist...but it could have turned out way different. I could have easily ended up as one of the unidentified bodies on the Doe Network.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm mortally afraid of the hairy hippies roaming the local jungle at night looking for glowing bushes under glowing bushes. Never go out past sunset!

That one is not even wearing pants (the horrors)! All the more reason to arm your children with whatever sharpened instruments you have available. More to the point, I tend to always be wary (possibly related to being 6w7). I actually prefer it when there is a known danger because then I have less to imagine and prepare for. I am not actually afraid of personal danger as much as not being prepared.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts