Personality Cafe banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I share this trait with my Dad (also an ISTJ). I often find it difficult to enjoy a film as I spot all the mistakes, historical and scientific inaccuracies, and stuff that is just obviously wrong.

For instance I watched "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" this weekend with my Girlfriend and noticed lots of mistakes. One howler- at the end of the film Captain Corelli and the survivors of his company are machine gunned by the Germans. Corelli's friend saves him by shielding him from the machine gun rounds at point blank range.

Sorry, that simply would not work. The bullets at short range would easily pass through two people killing both- the muzzle velocity and mass of heavy machine gun rounds is simply too high to kill one person then superficially wound the second. Then Corelli was rescued and operated on by a doctor (not a surgeon!) using mandolin strings to repair his bones (WHAT????) and without the benefit of proper sterile conditions, anaesthetic or any transfusion blood. I mean, come on!!!! He would be dead so many times over that the film would most definitely not have a happy ending!

Consequently, there are very few films I enjoy watching, and these tend to be carefully researched and authentic.

Sci Fi films for example, I would enjoy except a space battle should obviously be silent unless your own ship was hit, as space is a vacuum, and a vacuum cannot transmit sound.

Your thoughts please folks??

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
I share this trait with my Dad (also an ISTJ). I often find it difficult to enjoy a film as I spot all the mistakes, historical and scientific inaccuracies, and stuff that is just obviously wrong.

For instance I watched "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" this weekend with my Girlfriend and noticed lots of mistakes. One howler- at the end of the film Captain Corelli and the survivors of his company are machine gunned by the Germans. Corelli's friend saves him by shielding him from the machine gun rounds at point blank range.

Sorry, that simply would not work. The bullets at short range would easily pass through two people killing both- the muzzle velocity and mass of heavy machine gun rounds is simply too high to kill one person then superficially wound the second. Then Corelli was rescued and operated on by a doctor (not a surgeon!) using mandolin strings to repair his bones (WHAT????) and without the benefit of proper sterile conditions, anaesthetic or any transfusion blood. I mean, come on!!!! He would be dead so many times over that the film would most definitely not have a happy ending!

Consequently, there are very few films I enjoy watching, and these tend to be carefully researched and authentic.

Sci Fi films for example, I would enjoy except a space battle should obviously be silent unless your own ship was hit, as space is a vacuum, and a vacuum cannot transmit sound.

Your thoughts please folks??
now that you mention it. i do that but its never actually stopped me from enjoying anything.

Reactions: ZenBear

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I notice the inaccuracies, but I choose to view it all as fiction so, no big deal. I will bring it up in conversation if we are discussing a film's errors. But I don't let it bother me too much. If a film strikes a chord, I may go look up the real characters to see what really happened. I did this after watching "Tombstone" and found that the history was actually quite a bit more colorful than the movie.

What I can't stand is watching a movie after reading the book. Especially classics like "Gone with the Wind" or "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." All I can do is hate the movie. I guess that makes me a book snob.:blushed:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I notice the inaccuracies, but I choose to view it all as fiction so, no big deal. I will bring it up in conversation if we are discussing a film's errors. But I don't let it bother me too much.
I seem to follow this same idea; I let myself be taken in my the film and let go of the errors, but if a mistake completely changes the plot/point then I can get upset. However, I have one friend (who is likely an ISTJ) who finds errors in everyyyy movie we watch. My friends and I usually tell him before we watch one that if he has to keep his mouth shut for at least the first 30 minutes to see if a problem he spotted early on is corrected, lol. I think his main issue is that he sees watching movies as a waste of time in the first place. He feels he has better things to do, but will go along with the rest of us at times, though complaining the entire time. He catches all sorts of mistakes and points them out...loudly. Nice guy, but watching movies with him leads to murderous thoughts. :crazy:

With anything abstract and/or artsy I really retreat from my ISTJness. I prefer to paint abstractly, take photos with obscure angles, watch and read sci-fi/fantasy. It's sort of my retreat so that I don't drive myself nuts with order and perfection ALL the time. :wink: Of course...with my own art I do get pretty perfectionistic, but I enjoy it so it doesn't both me to take the time to get it the way I want it to be.

Reactions: ZenBear

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Given: Hollywood is filled with total crap, from there movies, to the events in the movies, to the actors.

Its best to take an ignorant stand against all inaccuracy spotting during movies, and not allow it to ruin your experience. There are just too many little things within a movie that are changed to allow other events to occur and make a story out of it, and make the story interesting. Take my point-of-view up that all their movies are a fantasy world as much as that movie Avatar and stop caring about the details.

I'm more of an A&E, History channel, PBS, NPR, Nat Geo as they're far different from Hollywood.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I just try to accept it for what it is, but there are certain things that can tick me off, but those things can vary from person to person.

I can be a bit of a book snob myself at times. I'm quite fond of the book The Dead Zone and I like David Cronenberg's films (Videodrome and The Fly are personal favorites), but I just can't get over the stuff that was left out including entire subplots that help develop Johnny's character. Then again, I liked The Shining (Kubrick's version) and that was even more away from the book than The Dead Zone was.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Being a Sensor is a double edged sword. Everything gets magnified. When inconsistencies detract from the story or style of a film it's a drag. But, as long as there's more to enjoy on the whole, it's not a big deal. On the flip side, I think that we get more out of a good film or drama. I loved the HBO series Rome. They played fast and loose with some of the historical facts, but it was done to improve the story line. The layering of visual details was amazing. It was a challenge to read the graffiti on the walls as the actors walked down the street, or to try and figure out what the extras were doing in the background.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I do this all the time. My family tells me all the time that I'm overly critical and it's just fiction. This doesn't stop me from enjoying a movie though! I just watched Toy Story 3 recently, and I couldn't believe how unrealistic it was. I accepted the fact that the toys could run around and talk to each other, but wouldn't the humans eventually find out? What if a toy was obviously out of place? Haha, I still loved it though! x]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Depends on how serious the movie is. If it's complete fiction I can let it go. But if it's based in any reality it might bother me, but I usually don't let ruin the whole movie. I'm bothered by propaganda that's blatant like Avatar. I hated that movie. About half way through I started seeing all the propaganda and I was just getting pist as the movie continued. It's one of the few movies that actually had me pist off leaving the theatre.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
I'm the same way. I'm ALWAYS spotting things in movies/TV shows that are wrong. If I really like the show or movie, I'm more willing to let it slide; however, if the plot is poor to begin with, well ... game on! (... btw, this is similar to when I posted about businesses making spelling errors on their signs outside.)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone! Some great comments. i can see that spotting every error in every film is an ISTJ trait. Maybe Hollywood could do with employing us as continuity experts. By the way, i can usually compartmentalise the errors and enjoy the film anyway. I did with Cpt Corelli's becuase of the scenery and photography which made up for the huge errors and wooden acting. Oddly, the film looked like it was made in 1951 rather than 2001, the acting was that "wooden" (= stiff, not believable, corny).

I can enjoy the film but sometimes find it difficult due to the errors. I particularly agree with the Avatar comments, apparently a thinly disguised, anti- industry, anti modern world, green propaganda film, I have not seen it for those reasons but heard the critique.

It is worse in the cinema as I like to be completely immersed in the cinematic experience as the big screen and big sound dominate my senses and I like to just be absorbed in all that and the story of the film and hate being jerked out of it by a bad mistake or inconsistency.

EG, I absolutely HATED Independance Day for those reasons, but really liked Men In Black because it was not meant to be realistic and had some humour about it.

Keep the comments coming!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm the same way. I'm ALWAYS spotting things in movies/TV shows that are wrong. If I really like the show or movie, I'm more willing to let it slide; however, if the plot is poor to begin with, well ... game on! (... btw, this is similar to when I posted about businesses making spelling errors on their signs outside.)
Yes, I even do this in supposedly factual programs on the TV, so I only ever watch documentaries and motoring programs.

I recently saw a series of documentaries on the SAS, including very good re-constructions of the action and actual footage of the events. This was FAR FAR better than any war film.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I remember a film critic using the term "suspending your belief" when watching movies. I dont have a problem at the time of watching the movie and letting things that could not possibly happen ruin the movie for me. After wards one can say this or that scene could never happen. That does not save some movies that just flat out "SUCK" though.

·
Registered
869 Posts
This is very ISTJ...I know one who can't see titanic because in real life di caprio and winslet (well the characters) would have been sucked by the vacuum the ship sinking would have created blah blah, so yeah millions of examples like this!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I do this too. For me, rather than detract from the experience I find that it enhances it because I can laugh about the odd inconsistencies in the movie while still enjoying the movie for what it is. Sometimes I don't feel like doing it so I turn my brain off (a trait my girlfriend finds bizarre since she doesn't know how anyone can do that, let alone me).

Given a choice, I'm equally likely to actively or passively watch a movie. It depends, well, on what I feel like doing at the time. There's not really much of a rational reason for me to do so, and that doesn't bother me much.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is very ISTJ...I know one who can't see titanic because in real life di caprio and winslet (well the characters) would have been sucked by the vacuum the ship sinking would have created blah blah, so yeah millions of examples like this!
That is the least of the problems with that film! Actually that film is not as bad factually and historically as some I can think of, but it is the unlikely story of poor artist seducing rich high society gal that I cannot stomach. Had they left that sugary romance nonsense out of the film and edited it down to below two hours it could have been a lot better. Oh and left out the CEline DION ballad.

·
Banned
932 Posts
haha yes.... my sister hates watching anything with me because I always laugh really loud at movies and make comments like 'psh... that would NEVER happen!' even though according to her it's 'just a movie!'- if she will watch a movie with me she makes me promise not to comment beforehand...

my friends and I also used to just rent really bad, cheesy movies so we could make fun of them - although I seemed to always be the one doing most of the commenting

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.