1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you know any?

Do you get along with them?

Anything about ISTJs that annoys you?

Do you feel that when you communicate that you're not speaking the same "language"?

I'm trying to understand how an INTP works. Any additional information is welcome.

·
Registered
673 Posts
1. Do you know any?
Honestly don't know, I really don't take the time to type everyone I know.

2. Do you get along with them?
We get along with everyone :)

3. Anything about ISTJs that annoys you?
Everyone annoys us at one level or another.

4. Do you feel that when you communicate that you're not speaking the same "language"?
Yes, with just about everyone regardless of type.

5. I'm trying to understand how an INTP works. Any additional information is welcome.
We are driven by logic almost 100%

·
Registered
672 Posts
I've read some of your forum's "You know you're an ISTJ when..." and I'm trying to think whether I've ever met one...I don't work with one at the moment for sure.

One thing shouted at me from reading. Flexibility. You guys don't seem to have much. This would irk me, but what I would be tempted to do is reorganise your desk one day. For fun.:crazy: If you can see the humour, we'd probably get on.

Reactions: Qadosh

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4. Do you feel that when you communicate that you're not speaking the same "language"?
Yes, with just about everyone regardless of type.
Interesting. I didn't know if this was just an ISTJ thing or what.

5. I'm trying to understand how an INTP works. Any additional information is welcome.
We are driven by logic almost 100%
Same with ISTJs. We're very logical. A good example to show this is Spock from Star Trek. He's generally regarded as being an exaggerated ISTJ.

One thing shouted at me from reading. Flexibility. You guys don't seem to have much. This would irk me, but what I would be tempted to do is reorganise your desk one day. For fun.:crazy: If you can see the humour, we'd probably get on.
Ah, flexibility. We generally are not very flexible. I make an effort to try to be flexible but there are some things I'm just not going to budge on. I can get stubborn depending on the situation, but for the most part I think of myself as reasonable (who is going to think of themselves as unreasonable? :p)

As far as reorganizing my desk. I can see the humor in it if you did it simply for a laugh and I would join in and think it's funny that you noticed that I would be bothered by changing the location of things on my desk. Where I work a lady was hired on who deemed my desk area "unorganized and laid out wrong" and took it upon herself to completely rearrange my desk while I was gone for lunch. I was pretty upset because I did not agree with the layout and I couldn't find my stuff. There's a difference in doing it for humor and just being... annoying?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Do you know any?
I think my brother is ISTJ.

more so now that we don't live in the same house and don't see each other very often.

SJ-ness in general annoys me. we seem to understand each other okay on an introverted thinker level though.

Do you feel that when you communicate that you're not speaking the same "language"?
at times. it depends. we don't really communicate much. mostly just specific, short questions via email.

I'm trying to understand how an INTP works. Any additional information is welcome.
check here for information overload.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SJ-ness in general annoys me. we seem to understand each other okay on an introverted thinker level though.
Is there anything specifically that annoys you in general about SJs or just in general you don't like their "vibe"?

at times. it depends. we don't really communicate much. mostly just specific, short questions via email.
It's possible that this is only a one-sided issue. Maybe it's only the ISTJ that does not understand the "language" of the INTP and it does not happen in reverse.

check here for information overload.
Haha. Okay, I will read that. I actually read half way through that description last night but I started falling asleep because it was late. I wasn't sure how accurate it was but I assume that if you are linking it, you must see it as accurate.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
I don't think they're aware of the miscommunication issues.

All they'll likely know is they have a hard time getting along with them.

you'll also notice they have a tendency to answer questions without answering them.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Is there anything specifically that annoys you in general about SJs or just in general you don't like their "vibe"?
it's mainly their emphasis on convention/tradition/duty. I suppose it comes with a vibe, like they're imposing their view of how things are/should be on everybody. "what you are doing is unusual and therefore bad." "this is what you should do because this is what has always been done" or "because I said so and am in authority".

It's possible that this is only a one-sided issue. Maybe it's only the ISTJ that does not understand the "language" of the INTP and it does not happen in reverse.
I can see that.
one thing I run into with Sensors is that they seem to want to be more specific and literal, and I tend to speak more generally, conceptually, or theoretically. what I mean is that you are looking for more specific answers, but such answers don't come naturally. (the previous sentence was a deliberate attempt to be specific, LOL.) so I understand your specific questions, but perhaps my answers are clear as mud to you?

Haha. Okay, I will read that. I actually read half way through that description last night but I started falling asleep because it was late. I wasn't sure how accurate it was but I assume that if you are linking it, you must see it as accurate.
I think most of it as uncannily accurate. there are things that don't describe me specifically but probably describe other INTPs.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you'll also notice they have a tendency to answer questions without answering them.
I find this to be true when communicating with INTP/ENTPs. When I ask someone a question and they don't answer it, this frustrates me to no end. I just want to slap my forehead. Why would someone respond to a question without answering it? This baffles me to no end.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it's mainly their emphasis on convention/tradition/duty. I suppose it comes with a vibe, like they're imposing their view of how things are/should be on everybody. "what you are doing is unusual and therefore bad." "this is what you should do because this is what has always been done" or "because I said so and am in authority".
I can see this happening when an SJ is in a position of power over you (parent, boss at work etc). Personally, I don't think I do this, but I'm no one's boss or father. My standards are very high and if I were a in a position of power in a work environment I would be difficult to please. It's not that I would do this to be mean or anything...I'm just somewhat of a perfectionist and also critical. I know that I'm guilty of imposing my views onto people. It was not until recently that I realized this and since I have tried to change that, but it's very hard not to impose my views. I view my way as right and sometimes I don't want to consider another idea because I like mine.

one thing I run into with Sensors is that they seem to want to be more specific and literal, and I tend to speak more generally, conceptually, or theoretically. what I mean is that you are looking for more specific answers, but such answers don't come naturally. (the previous sentence was a deliberate attempt to be specific, LOL.) so I understand your specific questions, but perhaps my answers are clear as mud to you?
Yes, I am very specific and literal. Now I'm beginning to see the light. You guys are one of those crazy general, conceptual, theoretical types (I don't mean this as an insult). I do not think in that way so it is very difficult for me to see things in that way. If you explain something without giving me the details you might as well not tell me about it :). I'm unsure of what type my Dad is but he talks like this and it just frustrates me. I go and get out my notepad and ask him for the details and will not do what he wants until he gives them to me because when I go off of his crazy explanations I do not do it in the way he wants and he's left mad and I'm left feeling confused.

I appreciate you purposefully speaking specifically :wink:

xD

if you ask me, "can you give a simple 'yes' or 'no' answer to a question?", I will say "no".
Duly noted. I will incorporate this when the time calls.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
You guys are one of those crazy general, conceptual, theoretical types (I don't mean this as an insult). I do not think in that way so it is very difficult for me to see things in that way. If you explain something without giving me the details you might as well not tell me about it :).
I think my ISFJ best friend feels the same about it. Whenever he asks for a simple 'yes' or 'no' answer, I'll go on an overdrive, considering all angles and possibilities. It's probably more frustrating for him while I'll end up analysing the reason for him wanting a straightforward answer :tongue:

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Do you know any?
I know a tested ISTJ that is my mother's boyfriend.

I have no disputes with him (probably because he wants to impress my mother) but he occasionally seems too rule oriented. As long as he doesn't impose his rules on me, we are friendly.

No, beside his abidance with rules and conformity. Even though he seems to not enjoy obligations, he is traditional about male/female relationships, spends a lot of time with his family, always organizes events, doesn't like to change, speaks softly, and so on. These traits don't necessarily annoy me but may annoy others.

We hold different views but speak rationally to one another. We both have a similar introvert perspective about annoying parties and enjoy discussing news articles and technological discoveries and mathematics.

Don't tell us what to do or how to live and we'll be fine.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
I've got an ISTJ friend. As long as we're talking about something we have a mutual interest in, he's a fascinating guy. But when he gets off into his own world, he's hard to follow, mostly because of the S.

·
Registered
487 Posts
It's like trying to communicate with an alien who get's angered by silly notions that there could be extra terrestial life.

:frustrating:

My mother is one. Oh the joy. Though they do have their funny moments...

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
I find this to be true when communicating with INTP/ENTPs. When I ask someone a question and they don't answer it, this frustrates me to no end. I just want to slap my forehead. Why would someone respond to a question without answering it? This baffles me to no end.
Here's the dirty little secret.
They don't know what it is you're asking for.

Similarly when an INTP asks you a question you'll have no clue what they are asking.

Which is why INTP ISTJ conversations are endlessly amusing because both types are talking circles around each other.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Do you know any?

No close friends, but I do have one or two ISTJ associates/friendly acquaintances.

Generally yes, though we have our moments of friction over how things should be organized, the role of efficiency, the value of tradition, etc. Mostly we get long well, and I greatly appreciate how professional they often are.

The ISTJs I know annoy me when they defend tradition for its own sake, or when they present opinions I disagree with, and I present a counter-argument and ask for their response, they say something like "I don't think about that sort of thing." Lastly, sometimes they can be more organized than efficient, and not realize the bad designs of the systems they run. I'll re-iterate though that generally I get along well with them.

When discussing intellectual matters, yes, but in daily life we seem to be able to communicate alright.

Any specific questions? I'm happy to answer, though I hardly speak for everyone here.
:laughing:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Do you know any?

Yes! One is one of my bestest friends ever (Though she's right on the cusp of INTJ). I've also had a couple of ISTJ colleagues, past & present.

Usually not, with the exception of my friend. The ones I've worked with are VERY abrasive and disliked by many. I manage to get along with them, but I get along with most people, so that's not saying much.

Yes. I find they focus on insignificant details, don't see the big picture. Not good with abstract thought. Blunt to the point of being offensive. Will follow rules no matter how stupid they are. Take themselves very seriously and don't have much of a sense of humour. Classic hall-monitors.

Yes. I'm super close to my ISTJ friend, but she's soooo unbelievably literal and a lot of what I say goes right over her head. She fails to understand a lot of jokes or pick up on subtexts. Don't get me wrong - she's very smart and I adore her, but we're very different people.

I don't mean to slam ISTJs. I'm listing the worst things because that's what you asked for. You guys have a lot of good qualities too, of course. The ones I've worked with are hardworking and dedicated, and tend to keep things together when everyone else is slacking off. You remember EVERYTHING and picks up on all kinds of details that most people miss. There's a lot of good stuff there. :proud:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Do you know any?
Yep, my dad and perhaps my stepmom.

In small doses. My stepmom is far more tolerable, but I think she might be more ESTJ.

Yes. While both of them value logic, they're not willing to challenge what is commonly accepted as fact.
Religion is also an especially touchy topic for them.

Oh, definitely. For example, whenever I make some kind of witty observation, it will go right over my dad's head because he is thinking in literal terms.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts