Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, this is going to be a bit hard to explain, but..is it sometimes hard to put your beliefs or values into words? I think there's a reason ISFPs are labelled the artists of the MBTI. After all, art can be a form of self expression, as can music, writing, dancing, etc. Have you ever used these things as a form of self expression, or do you find it easy to explain/express yourself verbally?

·
Registered
114 Posts
No, I cannot articulate myself orally with any competency. It is probably why I get mistook for having some sort of cretinism. If I have to explain myself, it is best that I do so using written language. I like to use music as a way of expressing feelings however. I don't express emotions otherwise.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Someone asks me a question about something and sometimes i will struggle to find a way to get what i'm saying, out of my mind and into speech and most of the time i'll end up using a reall crap simile or analogy or whatnot and then a week/day/hour later the perfect way of phrasing what i was trying to say will pop up in my head.
We cant always use pictures or drawings sadly

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm so glad we all have this in common and I'm not the only one that struggles with this. I am not a good verbal communicator. I find it very hard to express my self. Sometimes I don't even know what it is I am feeling. Music is a big outlet for me. I have a hard time especially in romantic relationships. I tend to frustrate my boyfriend. I usually have to use physical touch to express how I feel. I also find that I can express myself better in writing and love writing letters to people if I need to get something of importance out. I am in a relationship with a.guy who is a great verbal communicator and he needs that from me as well. I feel very insecure at times and wonder how long this will last. This deficiency of mine will no doubt be my downfall.

·
Heretic
ESI 5w4 9w8 2w1
10,691 Posts
Not really, but I've had a lot of practice I would say.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes. I usually know somewhat of what I'm going to say, but I don't know how to structure it.

ESPECIALLY if I'm in some sort of a meeting and I'm put on the spot. Then I usually just sound retarded.

When there's something important I need to say I usually take my time and write down every fraction of what I'm feeling, and then I structure it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Although I love writing and language, I suck at conveying my thoughts and feelings verbally. I always prefer actions to words. Let's take relationships, for example - not just romantic ones, but also friends and family. I'm very uncomfortable telling how I feel for them or what I think about them, and simply can't put it to words. I prefer showing my care. Nice gestures, presents, physical closeness, helping them out, being there for them. Making them feel good. It feels way more natural than verbal communication.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
What I think and what I say are very different. The other day a guy walked past me, let's say we don't have the best history... he said hi to me, and I had no idea if he was being genuinely friendly or just mocking me in a funny way. In my mind, I thought "I don't like you and I don't want to speak to you but I want to make some funny remark in order to prove that I'm not a weakling who crumbles under social pressure" but all that came out was a weird mix between "Hi" and "Yo" so I ended up shouting "'AYOOO!" at him. I really don't want to know what he thought after that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
@Kitzara, this post totally made me Lol! I have experienced many of these awkward moments. As embarrassing as they may be, isn't it great to have something to laugh at? Awkward moments are very hilarious to me. I would like to hear more if you have any.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Extremely so! I cannot express myself properly no matter how hard I try :( even if I have a few minutes to rehearse what I'm going to say in my head it never works! I get tongue-tied a lot or speak too fast or say 'um' a lot and I cannot hold conversations at all. I have come to the final conclusion that I am a social retard. Bleurgh.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I hear you, kat91! I have never known any other ISFP's and I always wondered what is wrong with me and why I am so socially awkward. I just discovered the MBTI and personality cafe recently and am so amazed and thankful to find my people. I never felt like I belonged anywhere. Now I just chalk my behaviors up to just being an ISFP and its great. It feels like closure. I can accept myself and have pride in our uniqueness. I feel personal growth and confidence coming my way. I love you ISFP's! Of course I could never say that in person and so eloquently, Hehehe.

·
Registered
477 Posts
What I think and what I say are very different. The other day a guy walked past me, let's say we don't have the best history... he said hi to me, and I had no idea if he was being genuinely friendly or just mocking me in a funny way. In my mind, I thought "I don't like you and I don't want to speak to you but I want to make some funny remark in order to prove that I'm not a weakling who crumbles under social pressure" but all that came out was a weird mix between "Hi" and "Yo" so I ended up shouting "'AYOOO!" at him. I really don't want to know what he thought after that.
Sometimes those sorts of situations can result in a whole lot of dribble. Like the time where i was doing this walk around this esturary and there was this small walking platform and there was this couple and their dog walking towards me and the platform could only take the width of two people so they were walking single file and the woman walked in front and the man followed behind and when the woman walked past she didn't say anything so i thought "ok well they are just going to walk past without saying anything" and then the man walked past me and say something odd, like a combination of 'Hey' and 'Sup' -Heysup if i remember correctly. I quickly responded with something equally as retarded "Heylo". At least that is what i remember saying.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I hear you, kat91! I have never known any other ISFP's and I always wondered what is wrong with me and why I am so socially awkward. I just discovered the MBTI and personality cafe recently and am so amazed and thankful to find my people. I never felt like I belonged anywhere. Now I just chalk my behaviors up to just being an ISFP and its great. It feels like closure. I can accept myself and have pride in our uniqueness. I feel personal growth and confidence coming my way. I love you ISFP's! Of course I could never say that in person and so eloquently, Hehehe.
I think in real life we would sound more like "adshs n ummmm eji eerrrr...mmm...yeah" LOL

It's a pain, the one part of being ISFP that I really don't like - social awkwardness.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Voodo Chile and kat91- you guys are making me laugh. I love it! Here's my awkward story...I remember in junior high my friend dragged me to a school dance. My big secret crush was there too. He initiated a convo with me and I was so nervous. Anyways, I didn't know what to say and I asked him what school he attended, lmfao, and he replied "Um, this one" and there was this awkward silence and he was like, " I have to go find my friends. " hahaha

·
Registered
277 Posts
Voodo Chile and kat91- you guys are making me laugh. I love it! Here's my awkward story...I remember in junior high my friend dragged me to a school dance. My big secret crush was there too. He initiated a convo with me and I was so nervous. Anyways, I didn't know what to say and I asked him what school he attended, lmfao, and he replied "Um, this one" and there was this awkward silence and he was like, " I have to go find my friends. " hahaha
LOL poor you! I don't get why people always try to leave if someone's awkward though? It's not our fault...and it can be quite adorable lol we're not hurting anyone by being awkward, and it is quite funny :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
I think the only real way to counter any of this is to actually do something that doesn't involve talking

Reactions: alicat82
1 - 20 of 35 Posts