Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets say you are in a situation similar to being home alone, and you don't have the care to spare for procrastinating on whatever you are working on.

Even in such situations, where other people aren't really around to be affected by it, do you find the so-called 'INTJ deathstare' improves your capacity or effective focus?

·
World's biggest INTJ fangirl
2,314 Posts
The 2 INTJs I know, as a general rule, aren't even aware they're 'death staring' in the first place. They just sort of switch off to the outside world and death stare at whatever their heads are pointing at. If its in the middle of a conversation, people generally get scared and then make an excuse to leave - it's the funniest thing to watch.
Try and snap them out of the stare by asking them a directed question and it's generally followed up by the 'deer in the headlights' look.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Lets say you are in a situation similar to being home alone, and you don't have the care to spare for procrastinating on whatever you are working on.

Even in such situations, where other people aren't really around to be affected by it, do you find the so-called 'INTJ deathstare' improves your capacity or effective focus?
I'm incapable of focusing at home - it's far too distracting there - but I have a spot at a coffee shop near my house where I'm often found. It's in a corner near the bathrooms, and I sit facing into the rest of the shop, usually with my journal open, but most of the time I'm death-staring at nothing in particular. I think of it as looking at something which can't be seen, which doesn't physically exist. In that way, the death-stare is really an intense focus-stare at an entity within oneself. As @Nafatali pointed out, it's not really directed at anything.

The purpose of death-staring is all about focus, but specifically it's my self-reflection face. Self-reflection is an intense and purely mental activity, and so it makes sense that I disappear from physical awareness in that time.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

Even in such situations, where other people aren't really around to be affected by it, do you find the so-called '' improves your capacity or effective focus?
I think you've got it wrong. The "INTJ deathstare" isn't about staring. It's a facial expression or more to the point, a lack of facial expression or a "default setting" as associated with that of a dead person, hence the name.

...I have a spot at a coffee shop near my house where I'm often found. It's in a corner near the bathrooms, and I sit facing into the rest of the shop...
I've always had a tendency to choose corner seats. In college I would sit the same seat in the cafeteria despite the hundreds of seats. Being extremely introverted I chose to sit "alone". If it was taken I would choose one of the other 3 corner seats. Taking a test on masculine/feminine brain years ago, this was one of the questions. Another similar question was - when sharing bed, would you sleep on the side closest to the door? (protecting your woman from potential intruders). Things like this really increases my interest in Evolution.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4
6,497 Posts
The 2 INTJs I know, as a general rule, aren't even aware they're 'death staring' in the first place. They just sort of switch off to the outside world and death stare at whatever their heads are pointing at. If its in the middle of a conversation, people generally get scared and then make an excuse to leave - it's the funniest thing to watch.
Try and snap them out of the stare by asking them a directed question and it's generally followed up by the 'deer in the headlights' look.
[email protected], you made me snort out loud at my desk at work.

Reactions: Nafatali

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4
6,497 Posts
I'm incapable of focusing at home - it's far too distracting there - but I have a spot at a coffee shop near my house where I'm often found. It's in a corner near the bathrooms, and I sit facing into the rest of the shop, usually with my journal open, but most of the time I'm death-staring at nothing in particular. I think of it as looking at something which can't be seen, which doesn't physically exist. In that way, the death-stare is really an intense focus-stare at an entity within oneself. As @Nafatali pointed out, it's not really directed at anything.

The purpose of death-staring is all about focus, but specifically it's my self-reflection face. Self-reflection is an intense and purely mental activity, and so it makes sense that I disappear from physical awareness in that time.
This.
'Nuff said.

Reactions: EyesOpen
1 - 12 of 12 Posts