Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't ever particularly felt that "nurturing" was a significant trait of the ISFJs I know - if they were told that nurturing was their main personality trait, I think they would be offended. (I certainly would but I don't have anything well-developed except Ti.) Is my limited experience of ISFJs representative?

·
Registered
66 Posts
An ISFJ's nurturing aspect is rather subtle, I suppose. Our functions look at things from a realistic point-of-view and life is usually dull. Think of mundane things like cooking food for you, paying the bills on time, housework, cleaning, etc. It's a pragmatic approach and something that most ISFJs accept that that is how life is and will always be. Not to say that they don't have fun. Just that adulting sometimes take precedence over play.

I don't think that the title "Nurturer" is shallow or annoying; just that it's rather bland and pidgeonhole ISFJs as an unseen robot that tidies other people's lives. Other types get more exciting or interesting monikers that hype up their type; ours is more like "Oh, you're the responsible one. Carry on with your duties while we have fun". I think ISFJs would like to be included in the party as well.

Then again, our traits do live up to the "Nurturer" name to an extent. When the party is over and reality sets back in, who is there to clean up the messes (literally and figuratively)? Other people would walk away because they had their fun and don't feel inclined to help. The ISFJ would be there, who waited patiently in a tiny corner throughout the night, to approach the host and ask if they need help or anything when most guests have already disbanded.

I feel that our group name should be "The Connectors" or "The Harmonizers", as we do try to keep everything peaceful between other types or in our lives. We also try to connect with others on a deeper level over lengths of time, unlike some types who are okay with multiple superficial relationships and leaving it at that.

However, is being called a Nurturer a bad thing though? A healthy ISFJ can relax the environment/people with their presence, simply because they have no ill intentions or malicious thoughts. Other people pick up on this "aura" and lower their guards, baring their souls for the ISFJ to see that is otherwise hidden from the rest of the world. Plus, an ISFJ can create drug-like effects for the people in their lives despite the repetitiveness, elevating their happiness; if they ever walk out, it's like a drug addict going cold turkey for said person. Downside is that ISFJs can create co-dependent relationships.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Every isfj ive known has been and will always be a saint.

Reactions: Songs unsung

·
Banned
497 Posts
It's somewhat truthful, although if someone thinks they are going to take, take, take, and not give back if able they will be cut off. Priorities are always a few relationships and obligations. I like to do a good job by putting my heart and soul into things.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Annoying yes. Cause nothing dries pussy faster than a nurturing man, without ifs or buts.

Altough speaking for myself ISFJ are more selfish than people type them to be.

I'm no Hitler, but far from Mother Teresa

I mean look at this, how the fck am I supposed to like this?

NVm I'm ISTJ most likely in a Si-Fi loop

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I used to consider myself a "Nurturer". Now, I consider myself more of a "Pacifist".

One thing that hasn't changed over the years though is that I tend to have an INTENSE pacifier effect on children when they see me; especially those who are in the midst of throwing tantrums. It could be while standing in line at the grocery store or in line while getting food at a fast food restaurant. The end result is usually the same. As soon as they took at me and I look at them, something just clicks and they calm down instantly. Some of their tiny faces light up with joy, while others just look with intense look of awe and amazement. And every time, the parents of the child are like "Huh... That's weird. That's never happened before."

I can't really explain it very well. It's something one has to see, in person, to believe.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Cause nothing dries pussy faster than a nurturing man, without ifs or buts.
You are mistaken, my friend! :) My ISFJ husband is very protective and caring and I find it to be enormously attractive, both sexually and platonically so. What is more appealing than someone you trust with every part of you?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I haven't ever particularly felt that "nurturing" was a significant trait of the ISFJs I know - if they were told that nurturing was their main personality trait, I think they would be offended. (I certainly would but I don't have anything well-developed except Ti.) Is my limited experience of ISFJs representative?

I don't think it's shallow, and I only consider it annoying in that I don't really relate to being a "nurturer." Honestly, I think it'd be nice to be more like that, but it's not something that comes very naturally to me. It's not that I don't like helping people or trying to give off a warm persona, it's just very hard for me personally because I have really bad anxiety and I prefer to be more 'in my head' and not bothered by outside stuff too much. Also, I wonder if part of the reason this stereotype exists for ISFJs is because a lot of ISFJs are enneagram 2, or at least have it in their tri-type. If I did have more of that nurturing type of trait, I really don't think I'd be annoyed by being called that. I think it's an admirable thing.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Being labeled a "nurturer", within itself, doesn't "annoy" me. It's the fact that people automatically think I'm a pretentious prick simply because I make conscious efforts to make other peoples' "problems" my problems that annoys me.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I used to consider myself a "Nurturer". Now, I consider myself more of a "Pacifist".

One thing that hasn't changed over the years though is that I tend to have an INTENSE pacifier effect on children when they see me; especially those who are in the midst of throwing tantrums. It could be while standing in line at the grocery store or in line while getting food at a fast food restaurant. The end result is usually the same. As soon as they took at me and I look at them, something just clicks and they calm down instantly. Some of their tiny faces light up with joy, while others just look with intense look of awe and amazement. And every time, the parents of the child are like "Huh... That's weird. That's never happened before."

I can't really explain it very well. It's something one has to see, in person, to believe.

Well, I have read that Vin Diesel is an ISFJ. Maybe that would explain this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/52/Pacifier_poster.jpg

It would also explain why our forum symbol is a baby bottle. :p

Reactions: dhspn
1 - 13 of 13 Posts