Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Since I am a pessimistic :p,
I feel sorry for this rhino and I think the realists too will agree with me on this one.

But what about the optimists?
Can you still find something positive in this?

Tell me! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

I feel sorry for this rhino and I think the realists too will agree with me on this one.

Surely the very point of the picture is to mock people who aspire to unattainable goals. A rhino is never going to become a unicorn, but then unicorns don't exist, so maybe there's something in there about the deception of altered images of models too, but let me get back to answering the question. No, the picture doesn't depress me, but I dont find it that funny either.

We need to be realistic about what we can achieve, but my personal perspective is that most people underestimate (rather than overestimate) what they are capable of.

It still hurts me to remember when my dad (who had no formal schooling) had the idea of taking a school certificate in maths. He shared this idea in front of a family friend (who with her husband both have PhDs). The lady just laughed at him, and said "What, at your age?!" like it was a joke. I know she didn't mean harm, and maybe wanted my dad to just accept himself as he was. But I still felt his sense of humiliation and sense of being a joke wash over me. I actually think he would have enjoyed studying for a maths exam. He was a quick learner actually. I think the certificate would have given him a small sense of pride, although perhaps useless in itself. I don't believe in ridiculing people for their dreams. Sometimes we never know until we try.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Unicorns don't exist?! :shocked:
-------

I find it a little heartbreaking but also cute because the rhino is cute lol. I didn't think it was meant to be motivating but to prove a point about trying to attain an unattainable image like Songs unsung said. However, I also thought it was possible that he might just be trying to lose weight (he's not as skinny as the unicorn). I showed it to my hubby and he said the same about it being sad/cute and the possible weight thing (without me sharing my thoughts first). He said we don't know enough about the rhino's true desire here to make a full on judgment lol. For all we know, he could just be trying to get a date with the unicorn :p Is that unattainable too? :p

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
-------

I find it a little heartbreaking but also cute because the rhino is cute lol. I didn't think it was meant to be motivating but to prove a point about trying to attain an unattainable image like Songs unsung said. However, I also thought it was possible that he might just be trying to lose weight (he's not as skinny as the unicorn). I showed it to my hubby and he said the same about it being sad/cute and the possible weight thing (without me sharing my thoughts first). He said we don't know enough about the rhino's true desire here to make a full on judgment lol. For all we know, he could just be trying to get a date with the unicorn :p Is that unattainable too? :p
Your post just cracked me up, lol. Sweet. I need more vivid melodies in my life. So, the rhino wants a date with the unicorn, is it an ENTP I wonder :laughing:?

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,601 Posts
For me, I feel it's kind of funny but mostly depressing. The picture does have a true message about reaching unattainable goals. I feel really bad for that Rhino and think he deserves a rest and a drink of water. It's such an adorable little cartoon Rhino. Maybe I relate to him because I've never been the most athletic person in the world. That artist did a pretty good job of getting the point across.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I agree with others that it's probably about reaching for unobtainable goals, but I also thought that the rhino could be in prison because the unicorn decided to cooperate with the authorities and testify against the rhino. Now the rhino only lives for his chance to take revenge against the unicorn informant.

That's probably why unicorns are so rare, they're all in the witness protection program. :shocked:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i agree with others that it's probably about reaching for unobtainable goals, but i also thought that the rhino could be in prison because the unicorn decided to cooperate with the authorities and testify against the rhino. Now the rhino only lives for his chance to take revenge against the unicorn informant.

That's probably why unicorns are so rare, they're all in the witness protection program. :shocked:
lmao! Xd

revenge of the fallen!

Reactions: mp2

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
-------

Meh, POSSIBILITIES!

Lol

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I don't find the picture motivating, nor depressing. I think the rhino shouldn't give up on their dream. Perhaps they can't become slim and fabulous as the unicorn, but at least they are trying their best. What if a fairy pops up and transform the rhino in an unicorn? :kitteh: I mean, what is the point of being realistic towards a picture like that?

What is the point of being realistic at all? Reality is boring.

·
Registered
304 Posts
This picture depresses me, looking at it just makes me think negative things about the world and life so the motivation of the pig is shadowed.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
It depresses me. My ideal is for dreams to be realistic, otherwise they are just another drug made to cloud vision.

·
Registered
980 Posts
depressing and motivating depending on the outcome

I don't mind that the rhino is following his own dream I just hate the caption as it reminds me of psycho-coercion or psycho-compulsion. Then it looks like the rhino has been initiated into a positive thinking course, "success is the only option", "we're getting there" and "smile at life" designed to break him and destroy his soul.

Rhinos are thick skinned enough not it let it bother them, I hope he will just keep running after the unicorn forever. You never know maybe this is the way he eventually becomes a unicorn.

Maybe this is the way we all become our own unicorns

·
Registered
2,957 Posts

First and foremost, I find this comedic. Secondly, it is physically impossible for a rhino to become a unicorn. There are distinct physical and biological differences (namely, a unicorn is a horse with a horn and a rhino is... well... a rhino. I'd actually sooner associate a rhino with an elephant than with a horse).

However, it does get pretty sad when you compare it with the nearly unattainable (and probably unhealthy) standards that women in modern america feel pressured to fit.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
I think it's cute, but the next thing I thought of was anorexia. That rhino's a healthy weight for being a rhino, mmkay!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I sympathize with the hippo and I know how he/she feels, but but...
I also find it ridiculous that he/she would want to follow the trends of beauty and not to be beautiful the way he/she could be.
It's sad that society pressures people to be something they're not supposed to be.
Other than that, I'm neither depressed or motivated, just find it thought-provoking.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts