Personality Cafe banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I find voices incredibly comforting, and I like them to be on in the background during most parts of my day. Have it be a TV show, or a radio show (like Loveline) or a YouTuber, I just like them back there, and I don't really know why.

I guess it makes me feel less alone during times when you are alone? Or maybe it gets me out of my head? But I also do this at night. Most people sleep to music, which I do from time to time, usually ambient music, but a majority of the time I turn on a show or something with a familiar voice. It feels comforting. Like someone is there.

Does anyone else do this? I know this is kind of a Fe thing, but sometimes I might even feel like I know the person (not in the creepy way, just in a familiar way).

Anyone share this? :3

·
Registered
61 Posts
No, not really that much but two years ago we had the elctricity cut for four days because of a winter storm. It was right after christmas, we live in the countryside and it is very silent and dark around here in that time of the year. I was surprised how nervous I became when the kids were sleeping and not a single machine made any sounds in the house. No refridgerators, no freezers, no nothing. I burned candles in the darkness and felt this creepy unease.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found them comforting and relaxing too. I love music and most part of my day I spend it hearing music. If not, I like to watch series, Tv sounds,...I also love to ask people to tell me storys. I love people to tell stores. When there's no coversation flowing, I ask people for a tale, to tell me the last Tv showm, series or film they saw,.... Hearing their voices for a long time, makes me happy and comfort me.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Yes. I especially respond to the voices of people I am close to. Sometimes I'll play videos they've recorded just to hear their sound (I don't watch it, and I don't process it. I just listen).

The best way, though, is listening to someone speak while your head is laying on their chest. extremely comforting. It's funny, but sometimes I find myself wanting an SO just for that experience alone.

·
Banned
1,646 Posts
That's odd... yesterday I was on a phone conference, and the guy giving the presentation had a voice that was downright mesmerising. I dun even know what that conference was about!

Just kidding, I know. But I did think, man, I wouldn't mind if you read the phone book to me. Dayum!

I'm a sucker for a good voice - they are too rare, unfortunately. But I don't need to hear voices around me all the time. I enjoy the silence the most.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Usually I don't mind. In fact the only reason why I have the tv going or music when I'm doing something else is to get better at multitasking.

However sometimes my thoughts scare me, especially when they take on different voices than my own and I can hear thousands of them. It's like hearing bees swarm in my head ._. Dunno if I hear thoughts of others (very unlikely) or am just having a mental overload (very likely) when this happens...

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Does anyone else do this?
Sometimes. At work, I'll often have music going into my ears so that I'm hearing something that prevents me from nodding off or being too much in my head. There is something to be said for what kind of conditioning one has with this as I don't do this when I go to bed as in that situation, I tend to be more in my head and wanting to stay there so that I can rest on some level.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
Other peoples voices, yes, I do find those comforting. The voices on TV, in music, of people in my house, I find those very comforting. I even find my own voice comforting.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I spend a lot of time in conference calls throughout the day and I do find comfort in familiar voices, especially during meetings with a lot of people I don't know. It's kinda like when you're at a party with a ton of people you've never met and the one outgoing person who you do know (usually the common thread) comes by and makes you feel more comfortable... just to a lesser extent.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I find noise comforting. Now that I think about it, people noises make me feel comfortable.
I can't really fall asleep without something going on, preferably noise. My ideal situation is hearing ocean waves coming in and my girlfriend singing.

Reactions: Sidhe Draoi

·
Registered
INFJ
1,326 Posts
There’s a Youtuber named Gentle Whispering ASMR, and I find her ASMR videos very relaxing. I will usually put her videos on to help calm my mind and fall sleep since I have trouble falling asleep sometimes if my mind is too active:

So I guess yeah, I really do love a soothing voice. I also love the sound of rain, or the sound of like a busy traffic street (from developing countries with the Tuk-Tuks lol). I guess you could call it a form of white noise? There’s this one acupuncturist from India, I use to listen to his videos just as background noise LOL This is an absolutely random video LOL:

I’ve been told I have a nice voice, it’s something I’ve heard quite a few times over the course of my life, but I don’t know how true that is. I think when it comes to voices, it’s all a preference; I feel like my voice is quite deep and rather masculine? I wouldn’t say it’s high or girly.

I took a phone all from a guy on OKCupid:
Him: “Whoa, nice voice.”

Ventrillo chat on Video Game way back in the day:
Two Girls: “Hey, no homo but you have a nice voice.”

I made this 8 minute tutorial video for my INFP girl friend to teach her how to do something and her comment from our Discord chat:

INFP: dude you could make big YouTube money, you have a nice voice and explain things really well
Me: -tells a story-
INFP: LOL yeah idk why i never said anything i guess i didnt wanna seem creepy
Then I proceeded to ask her if she paid any attention to the video at all? :mellow: LOL I was more concerned about whether or not she learned something :laughing:

I didn’t realize how OFTEN people notice voices? I guess for me, when I’m interacting with someone IRL, I’m more focused on other cues (too busy absorbing them) to notice the sound of their voices. I only truly notice someone’s voice when it’s isolated (like on a phone call).

·
Registered
Sore wa himitsu desu
1,583 Posts
Yes.. :unsure:
I dont know how to describe how much I love voices.

I swear one time my grandmothers niece said I had a voice like an angel. and my aunt agreed like.. yeah...
And people have occasionally come up to me asking me if I was a singer.

It doesnt happen often enough for me to feel like I must have a good voice for tv or radio or internet, but.. I do work out my vocal cords often because I love to sing.

but when I listen to music, the thing that stands out to me most is the vocals.

and I have an ear for voice actors. =]

Ive got a very low voice, and I used to be really timid though.. and I didnt really share my voice with others very often. so most people wouldnt really be able to tell if I had a good voice or not.

Reactions: Ethanol

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yes, at night I like old recordings of the late night BBC Radio 4 shipping forecast and obligatory music 'Sailing By' (reminds me of my childhood)

I also like rain on the roof, and the sound of wind outside - it makes you appreciate being in a warm bed all the more.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Actually, I can't relax if I hear people talking. People talking mean a response is needed, or a response could be needed soon. It means someone is interrupting what I'm doing, or could soon interrupt me. I prefer silence, or the sounds of nature.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts