Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For what ever reason, it seems like I am a cameleon around other people. It is almost like I change my personality to match what they seem to be needing at that time. Don't understand how or why this happens, but it does. I thought it was because I am generally interested in people, part of that intuitive thing. It seems people are drawn to me, in our converstaions it is ususally about a problem they are having in there life and I can sometimes I help them see something different that they originally did not see at first. Has anyone else ever experienced this in there life?

·
Registered
114 Posts
yeah me i do that a lot when am with my family and certain friends.

Reactions: Jacob

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yeah. I'm pretty sure it's an INFP thing. I thought for a while I was an ENTP because I was hanging out with an ENTP friend. But, then I realized I'm just conforming to them to make them feel comfortable. Which is really weird because those two types are almost completely opposit. Anyway, this is the reason INFPs do so well with acting. We have the ability to move out personalities aside and take on another persona. WOOT! Example: Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp. Hello?!

·
Registered
73 Posts
A few of my friends have noted my personality and attitude changes somewhat when I move from one circle of friends (say, my gaming friends) to another (say, my costuming friends). I don't find it too problematic, though. They have different interests and different attitudes about the world, yet they are all still my friends. *shrugs* I do my best to still "be myself" though.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
yeah, this is one of my few specialties. i can mimic their feelings/thoughts to create a good mood. people always say that they feel comfortable and relaxed around me.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
A few of my friends have noted my personality and attitude changes somewhat when I move from one circle of friends (say, my gaming friends) to another (say, my costuming friends). I don't find it too problematic, though. They have different interests and different attitudes about the world, yet they are all still my friends. *shrugs* I do my best to still "be myself" though.
in a perfect world, we wouldn't need to change so often.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm the opposite... I'm so not a chameleon that I think it makes people uncomfortable. It's only once they see I'm being so perfectly honest and true to myself that they open up and appreciate me.

I can open up and become interested in people... which is good... I'm always interested in what those around me are doing. (to an extent... ) So I ask lots of questions...

But no one has ever told me or made any claim that I'm this great mimic of personality...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I chameleon myself, it's sort of that 'fear of a lack of acceptance' for why I do it.

Sometimes I'll also end up just being really bland and boring around people in order to hide who I am, and until I feel comfortable around them, I have a hard time not being that way.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad to hear that you can be yourself around others. When you say that what exactly do you mean?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I have good mask making skills. As such I develop masks for all occasions, which can be easily swapped out.

So yeah. Adaptability and flexibility easily describe me.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You have me thinking and I really don't know. I'm not around enough people anymore and I have been let down so much that I guess I don't really care about how they perceive me. I think largely it would depend on my mood at the time. I mean-Are we doing it to please people or is it coming naturally without any thought? From how people seem to be responding, it seems natural. I can't force it if I believe the company thinks I'm weird, doesn't like me etc. Just can't muster up the energy. I'll have to think on this some more.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
i do it mostly to have and hold a conversation so i can get to know people better. my social skills are somewhat lacking so this makes up for my ineptness.

·
Registered
224 Posts
This is a problem that sort of sprang up in high school/college and is starting to fade away. It was basically that I had completely separate groups of friends (wonder if this is common): old friends, older friends from different schools, band friends, drama friends. I was able to get along with everyone, but some groups I knew would be more accepting of me, where other groups I had to put on the "good" personality. I'm still friends with some people in the latter group and I think it's so weird because I know they don't know me at all...but they don't know it. :\

Now that I'm out of school I'm finding it easier to be myself more often, but I still have a tendency to go to that polite, sterile, malleable personality with most strangers cos, you know, I strive for harmony and all that, and I'm cerrrtain I would offend a lot of people if I were just myself unfiltered. It's pretty damn boring and annoying; I guess I'll just have to figure out how to strike the right balance.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts