Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does his happen? Test are supposed to prove that this information has successfully entered my head? Why does it feel like a purge? I spill my guts out on the paper and its like i have nothing left.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I want to say you crammed. Studying... what, 30 minutes after a lecture, using deeper questions to encourage application of what you've learned, digging into the whys of which information is useful, etc. Helps bring information into long term memory with better clarity. Loads more study techniques and whatnot.

Let's say that isn't the case: I usually forget things after a test because the subject material itself was rather bland to me. So the purpose of retention is now served and no longer important after a test. "I forget to recall that which has no need to be remembered," kind of thing.

Education sucks. At least, structured, institutionalized education does. Self-education for the win!

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
The average person will forget a majority of what they've learned three days after taking an exam. This is due to school being a place for inauthentic learning, not authentic learning.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to say you crammed. Studying... what, 30 minutes after a lecture, using deeper questions to encourage application of what you've learned, digging into the whys of which information is useful, etc. Helps bring information into long term memory with better clarity. Loads more study techniques and whatnot.

Let's say that isn't the case: I usually forget things after a test because the subject material itself was rather bland to me. So the purpose of retention is now served and no longer important after a test. "I forget to recall that which has no need to be remembered," kind of thing.

Education sucks. At least, structured, institutionalized education does. Self-education for the win!
True, however self tought is not worth as much on your resume as formal education.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I usually do. However, when I see the same test again, I could easily become familiar with the question again and quickly answer it. However, this rarely happens.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
True, however self tought is not worth as much on your resume as formal education.
I know right? Fuck working for someone else. Work for yourself. But in case your current situation in life does not permit this pursuit because of how risky/unrealistic it is, then yeah, a resume helps.

I do want to share that in my experience, I've never needed a "resume" that has all the formatting and whatnot. Not saying you don't need a good resume, but "who you know vs. what you know" really applies to my life story. Actually, that was a major case of depression for me while I was in college, realizing that I would likely end up dropping out. Took me about two years or so to realize none of that really matters, I'm still alive and doing well for myself.

The shitty part about it all? When you actually get a job, your degree doesn't mean anything. Skill > credentials. Most of your education in the workplace will come from co-workers (mentors), Google, and YouTube. Hiring managers want people with experience, but young people don't have experience, so they need credentials. How do you even gather job experience, if you can't get hired in the first place?

So dumb. The system sucks.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know right? Fuck working for someone else. Work for yourself. But in case your current situation in life does not permit this pursuit because of how risky/unrealistic it is, then yeah, a resume helps.

I do want to share that in my experience, I've never needed a "resume" that has all the formatting and whatnot. Not saying you don't need a good resume, but "who you know vs. what you know" really applies to my life story. Actually, that was a major case of depression for me while I was in college, realizing that I would likely end up dropping out. Took me about two years or so to realize none of that really matters, I'm still alive and doing well for myself.

The shitty part about it all? When you actually get a job, your degree doesn't mean anything. Skill > credentials. Most of your education in the workplace will come from co-workers (mentors), Google, and YouTube. Hiring managers want people with experience, but young people don't have experience, so they need credentials. How do you even gather job experience, if you can't get hired in the first place?

So dumb. The system sucks.
Good to know Im wasting my time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts