Personality Cafe banner

Do You frequently Offend other People, when speaking the truth?

4K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  ENIGMA2019 
#1 ·
🤔 Do you find that you offend people easily with your TI truth?

#2 ·
Rarely if ever, there's always a way to explain things without pissing people off and that in of itself to me a talent, being brutally honest is too easy and doing that makes a lot of enemies, just because I have TI doesn't give me an excuse to be a dickhead 🤣. I don't blame the function, I blame the individual who uses the function in that manner.

#3 · (Edited)
I'm an INFJ, and... I rarely offend people, because I usually bend the truth enough so they can accept what I am offering. If I cannot bend it or say it partially, I usually keep it for myself because I rarely see any point in starting a heated open debate with them getting their feelings hurt.

But, when I was a teenager I was a rebel and, I had zero problems saying offensive things I've found to be true irregardless of what people think, sometimes I would tell them exactly because I knew people will find it offensive but thought-provoking, because they will have difficulties denying it. You can see similar behaviour in young Marlyn Manson, who is supposedly INFJ as well.

Today, I rarely offend, except when I really, really need to be so direct, such as in close relationships that are in a problem. EDIT: Or maybe if I had a really bad day and someone poked me right in the nerve.

#4 ·
Ti is Thinking within introverted attitude, which prioritizes subject over object.
It is less concerned with objective reality and, therefore, will less likely come up with a "truth" in an immediately intelligible to others form. And less likely will make one appear as an asshole as opposed to Te.
From video I got an impression that Ti is "independent thinking", while Te is just "group thinking" that agrees with others, which is wrong.

#6 ·
Yeah, Ti will more often confuse others and be thought of as nitpicky. Ti assholes say "this doesn't make sense" and then they describe why is a statement contradictory. Ti isn't really a "truth-spouting" function because, as you said, logic is made within internal paradigm, and not developed around a particular objective situation.

Ti doms and Ti aux are more about boldy proclaiming their own internal worldviews and carefuly crafted opinions. This can of course rub people the wrong way, especially Fi people that find their values attacked by logical critique, implying that they should change their values.

#5 ·
How I get away with demon Fe.

1. Proceed to say something offensive
2. Justify it to myself coz I'm merely telling the truth
3. Tell the offended person he/she needs to accept reality and stop living in the clouds and proceed to mock the over reacting fool
4. I become a comedian coz of all my inappropriate jokes
5. I start seeing people as NPCs
6. Wut is feeling?
:D

#7 ·
I can almost guarantee that nobody sees 'honest opinions' as being like an 'asshole'. THAT is determined by the rest of your behavior.

I've known some brutally honest, no-nonsense Ti types who call it like they see it (note: not "like it is", how they see it, that's key difference). Never have they acted like an asshole toward me tho. Maybe they are making an effort to be 'play nice' with me, idk, but if they do, that's out of their own volition. There are also types who, after getting their precious ego hurt when being told they aren't dropping the truth bomb they thought they were, proceed to go "waah waah well you're a bitch" - see the difference?

#8 · (Edited)
I don't believe truths, facts, and logic offend. I mean, what gives if 1+1=2. Nothing offensive.

On the other hand, making a point that a person is an inferior worthless piece of trash who doesn't have one ounce of intelligence nor of virtue, thus is undeserving of love, respect, and should be better off dead. Well, I'd say that'd be pretty offensive. When a "T subject" offends (no matter if the person is a T or F), it's rarely because it spoke the truth, but often because there was an implicit "I'm righter than thou and your opinion/character/intelligence is shit" along the way.

The "that doesn't make sense" sentence is a good example. There's a fine difference between saying "I don't understand your reasoning" and automatically dismissing someone's reasoning as "not making sense".

#9 ·
I don't believe truths, facts, and logic offend. I mean, what gives if 1+1=2. Nothing offensive.

On the other hand, making a point that a person is a worthless piece of trash who doesn't have one ounce of intelligence nor of virtue, thus is undeserving of love, respect, and should be better off dead. Well, I'd say that'd be pretty offensive. When a "T subject" offends (no matter if the person is a T or F), it's rarely because it spoke the truth, but often because there was an implicit "I'm righter than thou and your opinion/character is shit" along the way.

The "that doesn't make sense" sentence is a good example. There's a fine difference between saying "I don't understand your reasoning" and automatically dismissing someone's reasoning as "not making sense".
You are 100% correct. On the other side, when you look at IxTPs for example, many of them just aren't paying attention to how they sound, they don't work on their delivery, and they might not be aware of how aggitated they are for wharever reason.

For Ti doms it's often frustrating how nonsensical some people are because they are hyperaware of what is said on the surface, what does it imply, and they want precision and coherence.

High Ti people (especially NTPs) value truth and logic, and they rightfully think that allowing nonsense to prosper leads to societal issues, so sometimes they overreact without being aware and critique something they've heard bluntly and in an unfriendly tone.

#14 ·
@PersonaBelle
On the other hand TI...is originally derrived from within the mind of the thinker.
Which is exactly why it has higher chances to be "unrelatable" due to its heavy subjective factor.
What offends most is what is the "truth" that victim and offender can share because victim then is forced to accept these "facts".

With Ti it is usually easy to see this specific subjective perspective which has no obligations to model reality accurately as opposed to Te which is derived from object.
It is associated with the "consensus" simply because subjects frequently share the same objects and have similar tools (brains) to work with them.

Anyway, there are many ways in which one can be asshole, but my point is that the most offending ones will be object-oriented in their conclusions since "truth" in such form has higher chances to be "agreed upon", just like you said.

#16 ·
The reason why Ti conclusions have a semblance of validity is because the process disregards most personal attachment towards objects. The reason why it offends other people is usually because the conclusion and the chain of logic that leads to it are also in a form that disregards the other persons attachments toward objects. People usually just use the subjective source of information as a reason to ignore/critique it, it isn`t what they are insulted by.

I mainly just avoid speaking about my opinions completely, it is too stressful to figure out the emotional attachments of everyone I meet just to adapt all of my information to a form they can understand, so I only do it for the few people that genuinely try to understand my views. I usually just make up opinions to joke around because I want to avoid these issues.

#19 ·
It's a very common Fe practice to make Ti the villain. This thread is an example of it. They would try to do it "diplomatically" so that everyone else would agree with them, making us the bad guy. We TPs are easy targets because it takes a lot for us to actually do something harmful to others where it matters, i.e. physically or mentally. This is especially true for NTPs, which makes us their perfect punching bags. If they practice this stuff on TJs or even FPs, they would face real wrath.

#21 ·
Immature Ti users often believe that there is some kind of objectively provable, universal truth that can be applied to all situations. The problem with this view is that people aren't entirely rational, and may exhibit inconsistent behaviours. This can be frustrating to someone who seeks clarity and congruence between one's thoughts, statements and actions.

Ti users often worry that if there is no standard that can be debated and proven through logic, we will descend into a primitive state where might makes right and certain people get a pass due to their status and position in society.

#22 ·

Anger. Book illustration by Charles Le Brun (1619 – 1690)

It is always fascinating to observe people in conversation claiming the exact opposite of what they said an hour ago, proudly denying that they have changed their mind in the meantime (a = ¬ a). They apparently think that any nonsense is good enough for a conversation. I strongly disagree and will not let them escape. An hour later they are still angry about their loss of face, and they still refuse to accept responsibility for their nonsense.

#26 ·
No. I'm an older ENTP. I have learned a little tact with my tertiary Fe. I have learned that most people don't want to know the truth even when they blatantly ask for it. They merely want you to reinforce their comfortable lies. I generally do my best to not disappoint.

#31 ·
probably yes. usually I think I can pad the hard truth nicely but when I'm upset or just lacking patience (which is pretty often)I just generally blurt it out and the truth can honestly be offensive especially when it's of a critical nature. not sure what you mean about the FeFiFo TeTiTo

#32 ·
I mean, telling the truth is bound to offend someone in a society in which people are given leave for whole generations of people to militantly deny reality in favor of a preferred "truth" that's in alignment to one's own personal identity. Unfortunately, so many of these identities are "protected classes", thus most people aren't even allowed to tell them the truth without consequences.

It's never been a more dangerous time to be a critically thinking and honest person.

#33 ·
I take my car and go shopping. I end up behind a SUV that drives below the speed limit. The SUV doesn't use the blinker, can't take a corner, manage its speed, and thinks that driving slower gives some moral authority to keep annoying everyone behind. And you know what, I overtake the dumbass without waiting for an authorization.

And what happens next? They flash their lights all pissed off and even sometimes try to catch up, just in case I didn't notice they're stupid.

They're all outraged because 1) my car is smaller 2) I broke the legal authorizations 3) they didn't see it coming since they don't look around 4) they can't afford the oil consumption of their big idiotic car 5) they determine what is proper speed based on their pathetic driving skills and focus, 6) they liked the concept of pissing off people like me but I didn't let them do as they please.

That's a good allegory.

I mean it isn't about speaking the truth but pointing at somebody's incompetence.

#36 ·
95% of the time I do not intentionally do it when it happens but, it does happen. I will correct myself when there is a legit reason aside from someone taking it personally for illogical reasons. shrugs We are all a work in progress (or should be) and make mistakes aside from pinning it on a specific function.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.