Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering what intp's gain from spirituality.

i guess im kind of an atheistic theist. i dont believe in the existence of an actual god, but i believe in the psychological phenomena of god, and pretty much everything that christianity teaches. except the existence of an actual god.

ive also found buddhism to have much the same conclusions ive came up myself with, through psychology.

i also acnowledge the existence of what chinese call "chi", but i think its just subjective emotional experience of the atmosphere an environment causes to you.

telepathy is also something i do with some when my mind is strong enough to, although i dont see anything magical in the process. its just unconscious prediction of anothers mind state, based on external cues picked up.

i also understand how jesus's "healing" powers work, and i can do similar tricks to "heal" people. trust me, its not as amazing as bible depicts. (its based on the fact that pain is illusion, and its possible to overcome this illusion. pain is just humans imagination creating an appropriate damage report based on the sensory signals, which in most cases doesnt even go right. since we are a simulation brains produce, we _dont_ experience the external world, at all. its just our imagination making it seem real, to immerse us into a survival mode.)

it has been my main focus area for a year or few now, to understand everything "supernatural".

although even as much as i wished i found one religon thats perfect for me, i havent.

how'bout you?

·
Banned
2,728 Posts
The Bible says Jesus brought a man back from death and gave vision to the blind.

Can you achieve this?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm a zen buddhist.
I like it because it allows my brain to shut the fuck up for a minute when I meditate (I think a lot more than the usual person so I'm under a lot of stress and I don't even know if this is normal - p.s. not proud about this at all) and I become 20% more sane afterwards.
Also it teaches me why it's not cool to be an asshole (mainly through meditation).

·
Banned
2,728 Posts
Spirituality gives me nothing.

In my world 'spiritual' is synonymous with 'delusional until proven otherwise'.
As is consistent with your choice of username lol

Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

·
Banned
618 Posts
i also understand how jesus's "healing" powers work, and i can do similar tricks to "heal" people. trust me, its not as amazing as bible depicts. (its based on the fact that pain is illusion, and its possible to overcome this illusion. pain is just humans imagination creating an appropriate damage report based on the sensory signals, which in most cases doesnt even go right. since we are a simulation brains produce, we _dont_ experience the external world, at all. its just our imagination making it seem real, to immerse us into a survival mode.)
Pain is an illusion, eh? So if I saw off your fingers, toes, limbs, and ears one by one, and then proceed to throw battery acid on the wounds, you'll feel no pain?

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
As always, I start reading your post, and I'm kind of in agreement, and then right in the middle, you hit me with some of your strange powers, and then I just sigh...

I'm a Christian who does believe in God. But even if I didn't, the Bible is atleast a great book of philosophy or however you put it (to prevent argument, I want to stress that this is my opinion. I'm saying that even if I didn't believe in God I personally would still follow the more humanistic passages of scripture). There good stuff in there for good living. The book of proverbs, ecclesiastes, the teachings of Jesus, etc. I guess I gain peace having a relationship with the almighty. And whether it turns out that God is real or if, as you put it, the almighty is a psychological illusion, I'll have no regrets in the afterlife. I'm happy.

The Bible says Jesus brought a man back from death and gave vision to the blind.

Can you achieve this?
lol. The Bible says Jesus brought himself back from the dead... can the op acheive this?

@Calvin I get what he's trying to say about pain being an illusion. And for my knowledge of medicine, anatomy, physiology, whatever, he is correct. pain is just chemical-electrical signals being interpreted by the brain to tell you that you are being damaged and to give you incentive to get away from that damage. Now for his ability to just... turn it off... The CIA could use him. No worries about information being tortured out of him. :)

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
welllll... this thread is going about as well as expected, for one claiming in the INTP subforum to being an atheistic theist and having telepathic and healing powers.

---

EDIT: Just for my own view of things:

... I can identify with believing in the main values espoused by Christianity, I just have a huge breakdown right at the point where I end up struggling between faith and knowledge. Sometimes I still have conversations with God (while wondering if I'm just talking to myself or to nothing at all), and I would like to believe it to be true (beyond just certain concepts about life being true), but Christians in general insist on saying that their faith is factually true because they have chosen to believe in it (faith), where intellectually i think such statements are empty ones. I don't know how to reconcile that. I have chosen to pursue certain values because I think they make sense, but I can't be sure about anything that must be followed just on faith.

And unfortunately I have no superpowers that would make me a candidate for Xavier's school for gifted mutants.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Another superb round of mystical NiFe trolling.

l think a part of you is into a little Ti beatdown ;) Do you even believe what you're saying, or just wanna get INTP's hot n bothered?
he's not getting me hot and bothered. That's one thing I don't understand about some people because I myself: If You state an opinion that sounds ridiculous to me, I just shrug and move one. Now that's excluding opinions that will affect me. Like if someone gave an opinion before the court or something about me... if it immediately affected my destiny, I'd argue it. But stuff like this... Let him have his delusions.

but you gotta admit, that was an enjoyable read. I always love when he posts about his powers.

·
Read Only
795 Posts
If I were a spiritual person, then I would have both a sense of purpose and a sense of comfort. I would understand whom I was living for, and I would have security in knowing what happens after I die (Or at least I'd be granted the illusion of knowing these things.)

That being said, my mind rejects all things spiritual for the time being. Perhaps I just enjoy the mystery in life.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Can you achieve this?
you know, youre supposed to ignore the parts that make no sense, and see only what makes sense.
same applies on any theory, religious or not.

cause nothing is perfectly correct.
and theres truth even in the crasiest of peoples talks, if only you can filter the nonsense. and there are 15 other mbti types on top of yours, so youd be an absolute fool if you thought it is all made in _your_ processing language.

visons to the blind sounds possible, yes.

Pain is an illusion, eh? So if I saw off your fingers, toes, limbs, and ears one by one, and then proceed to throw battery acid on the wounds, you'll feel no pain?
if my mental world is in an absolutely perfect condition, yes, im able to ignore the pain entirely.

I will not respect your opinion on spiritual matters until you learn to use decent grammar.
i will never respect anyones "intellect" who asks that which is impossible from another, based entirely on a _subjective_ preference that has no rational basis.

As always, I start reading your post, and I'm kind of in agreement, and then right in the middle, you hit me with some of your strange powers, and then I just sigh...

I'm a Christian who does believe in God. But even if I didn't, the Bible is atleast a great book of philosophy or however you put it (to prevent argument, I want to stress that this is my opinion. I'm saying that even if I didn't believe in God I personally would still follow the more humanistic passages of scripture). There good stuff in there for good living. The book of proverbs, ecclesiastes, the teachings of Jesus, etc. I guess I gain peace having a relationship with the almighty. And whether it turns out that God is real or if, as you put it, the almighty is a psychological illusion, I'll have no regrets in the afterlife. I'm happy.

lol. The Bible says Jesus brought himself back from the dead... can the op acheive this?

@Calvin I get what he's trying to say about pain being an illusion. And for my knowledge of medicine, anatomy, physiology, whatever, he is correct. pain is just chemical-electrical signals being interpreted by the brain to tell you that you are being damaged and to give you incentive to get away from that damage. Now for his ability to just... turn it off... The CIA could use him. No worries about information being tortured out of him. :)
even if one masters this ability, it can only be used when you are on your 100% mentally. they find a way to cut off a single percent, ****, it doesnt work anymore.

but yes, there are said to be people like the original buddha who achieved complete nelightenment, so perhaps its possible to be in that state permanently.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
What do you call a no-limbed man tossed into shark-infested waters?
1. Bob.
Alternate answer: 2. Chum.

Yeah, I think this also highlights technical truth vs realistic truth. Who really cares if you can manage to "shut off pain" (suggested by the OP) from having your limbs sawed off? You're still the guy with no limbs, for the rest of your life, when all is said and done. And the pain and inconvenience lasts the rest of your life. That seems far worse than the initial moments of pain. Doesn't seem so spectacular in light of that.

If I were a spiritual person, then I would have both a sense of purpose and a sense of comfort. I would understand whom I was living for, and I would have security in knowing what happens after I die (Or at least I'd be granted the illusion of knowing these things.)

That being said, my mind rejects all things spiritual for the time being. Perhaps I just enjoy the mystery in life.
Yeah, basically I feel that I need to live in the ambiguity and the mystery (which actually is kind of intriguing) and just take life at face value, even if I choose to have some other things at play. I want to make sure that i am proud in a healthy way of who I am and how I live, regardless of what happens to be true after I die. I think if someone is doing things they don't actually believe or respect just to conform to some reward/punishment system after death, then they are not living authentically.

he's not getting me hot and bothered. That's one thing I don't understand about some people because I myself: If You state an opinion that sounds ridiculous to me, I just shrug and move one. Now that's excluding opinions that will affect me. Like if someone gave an opinion before the court or something about me... if it immediately affected my destiny, I'd argue it. But stuff like this... Let him have his delusions.
I'm mostly more curious about why he's choosing to post this in an unsupportive location. What purpose does this serve, and why is that purpose being pursued?

but you gotta admit, that was an enjoyable read. I always love when he posts about his powers.
It does tend to bring out the worst in the INTP experimentation mindset.

"OH, you can do this? Okay, let's test it."

At least he didn't say he could fly. That could get messy to test. Although I suppose the pain thing isn't pretty either. :tongue:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What do you call a no-limbed man tossed into shark-infested waters?
1. Bob.
Alternate answer: 2. Chum.

Yeah, I think this also highlights technical truth vs realistic truth. Who really cares if you can manage to "shut off pain" (suggested by the OP) from having your limbs sawed off? You're still the guy with no limbs, for the rest of your life, when all is said and done. And the pain and inconvenience lasts the rest of your life. That seems far worse than the initial moments of pain. Doesn't seem so spectacular in light of that.
yep, that has been my attitude always in life too. pain has never been a thing for me. that which lasts, however....

as a child, psychologists were shocked because i didnt take pain seriously, lols.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I can understand where you come from.
I too have had this obsession with debunking supernatural stuff. Have thought a lot about death and what happens after and all that.
I'm still - constantly - working on it, thinking, writing, losing my train of thought and starting over again.

Yet I've come to some sort of conclusion:
Faith or destiny
What people often believe to be faith is just chance(in my opinion). Chance is what has made us who we are. We're on a rock with the right mass and materials. Atoms sticked together to form molecules, that form together to form cells and over time we evolved till what we are now.

When you meet someone at the right time and place it's a coincidence. Stuff like that happens all the time, but you have to look; and sometimes think: is this a sign worth following?

The mind
In my opinion we're still animals. Most of what we do is animalistic: We sleep, eat, shit, fuck. That's what we do. That's what animals do.
As we have not only evolved physically, but also mentally, we've come to understand that fighting to resolve stuff might not always be the best solution. So we invented a social system. We didn't really invented it, it probably just came to be, but now it's here.
Lots of people focus their lifes around it.
They work a lot harder than they need to, to buy the car that impresses the neighbour. +1 on the social ladder.

Ever since I did acid(shiit, maaan, i'm tripping balls, you're such a hippie - Not.) I started caring more about spirituality.
Nothing to do with spirits or gods or ghosts or whatever, but more about what goes on in our mind.

I don't meditate often, or good, but I did start running. Running can make your mind so blank, while still feeling good about what you've just done.
I've tried making my mind blank with alcohol and weed, which also works, but it doesn't feel as healthy.

To sum it up: Mens sana in corpore sano.
What's a healthy mind? I don't know, but I'm working on it. I just realised that I haven't learned much about my own concept of spirituality. It's a neverending quest to find it. And should I one day find it, it's just going to be like finding another door and tumbling further into the rabbithole. Keep on pushing the limits.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
yep, that has been my attitude always in life too. pain has never been a thing for me. that which lasts, however....

as a child, psychologists were shocked because i didnt take pain seriously, lols.
This might be a side issue, but that can be both a good and bad thing.

Pain is a warning system to protect the body from harm, so it exists for a reason.

Lepers suffer various types of body damage because they can feel no pain in the affected areas and thus walk/stand in ways that do their body harm or actually experience wounds that they're not aware of.

Reactions: treschanna

·
Registered
4,796 Posts

I'm sorry man. I try not to laugh when I read your posts. But the whole time I'm reading, I see this... flapping mythical magical dragon in the corner of my eye... mocking me. lol. The dragon is saying the entire time, "do you believe this?" or "he's trolling you man. magic isn't real." or something like that.
I can't explain it. maybe it is like when you are reading a quote, and it sounds horrible, but you think maybe I am interpreting it wrong until you reach the end and realize it was quoted from Stalin or something.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This might be a side issue, but that can be both a good and bad thing.

Pain is a warning system to protect the body from harm, so it exists for a reason.

Lepers suffer various types of body damage because they can feel no pain in the affected areas and thus walk/stand in ways that do their body harm or actually experience wounds that they're not aware of.
i think the most rational reaction to physical stimulus (pain) is to ask yourself, where does this lead, is there any permanence, should i avoid it, does it even matter? and do whatever makes most sense, while same time not reacting to the pain at all, only intellectually analyzing it. this way i gain much more desirable results from my enocunters with pain, im not bothered by it, etc, its just something i know to expect, and something i know how to deal with.

I'm sorry man. I try not to laugh when I read your posts. But the whole time I'm reading, I see this... flapping mythical magical dragon in the corner of my eye... mocking me. lol. The dragon is saying the entire time, "do you believe this?" or "he's trolling you man. magic isn't real." or something like that.
hah! =D

no, i do not believe in magic, but i know must "supernatural" phenomenas are real and have rational explanations.

EDIT: UGHFF!! what is it with me writing things as they are pronounced? must = most. -.-

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
i think the most rational reaction to physical stimulus (pain) is to ask yourself, where does this lead, is there any permanence, should i avoid it, does it even matter? and do whatever makes most sense, while same time not reacting to the pain at all, only intellectually analyzing it. this way i gain much more desirable results from my enocunters with pain, im not bothered by it, etc, its just something i know to expect, and something i know how to deal with.

hah! =D

no, i do not believe in magic, but i know must "supernatural" phenomenas are real and have rational explanations.
I agree for a lot of supernatural phenomena. Now my worldview is colored by science/religion. Most ghost sightings I believe are delusions. But that isn't to say it isn't possible. from the scientific standpoint, we don't know. From the religious standpoint, the Bible condemns necromancy, and there is an instance where Samuel was brought back by a Necromancer. he was irritated, but he was brought back... temporarily. The Bible describes death as the soul going into a kind-of hibernation (for lack of a better term) until judgement, so I don't subscribe too much to ghost. Maybe demons... I did read an article about another possible explanation using the bible besides demons, illusions, and necromancers, but I can't remember what it was.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts