Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, ever since I can remember, if a character is supposed to have gotten physically or emotionally hurt, I'd feel it. I assumed everyone did because, well, mirroring and empathy and such, and just didn't show it but after talking to various family members I've learned no one else did. Empathy? Yes, but not actual pain or a rush.

So...is this normal for NFs in general? Or am I just the freak that's convinced herself it's real? How exactly does it work?

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I get it as well. I don't watch much TV news because I find it emotionally painful (so much sensationalism of violence). I am careful about what I watch so that I don't accidentally throw myself into a funk. My T family members don't get it but my F family members do. The SFJs I know don't like unhappy endings but they are usually less hard-hit by emotional ups and downs.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Ok, ever since I can remember, if a character is supposed to have gotten physically or emotionally hurt, I'd feel it. I assumed everyone did because, well, mirroring and empathy and such, and just didn't show it but after talking to various family members I've learned no one else did. Empathy? Yes, but not actual pain or a rush.

So...is this normal for NFs in general? Or am I just the freak that's convinced herself it's real? How exactly does it work?
Not so much with regular TV. Mostly the empathy is with characters in a movie on TV. Examples include Entrapment, The Illusionist, Bicentennial Man, and The Village. There's a real rush of emotion at different key scenes; like your are swept away. Usually it's near the end, but, some movies have several such peaks.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Not very much from TV. I find watching distress on screen, like an animal suffering can be hard for me. I empathise a lot. When I was very busy building a career in my 20s I quit watching TV at all. I started watching more when I was in my early 30s. I had roommates who watched TV in my living room kitchen area at that time, so it was hard to avoid. I couldn't enjoy 98% of what my roommates watched. There were too many negative feelings and emotions involved and I failed to see what they saw in these shows that they liked. I'd retreat to my room to save me from losing my mind. I bought my own TV after the first year, because I discovered that watching TV now made sense for my University lifestyle. I spent several hours a day reading and in classes, so sitting in front of a TV was a way to unwind, because it was passive and didn't require much thought.

The kinds of things I liked to watch were things that made me feel pleasant emotions. I got into watching foreign films. Compared to American media, it was very full of emotions I enjoyed. I even enjoyed the parts that made me cry. Sometimes watching a gay themed European film can fill my heart with love and empathy. I tend to fall in love with the characters. Often, by the time the movie is over, my heart is open and filled with joy. I guess that's an emotional high.

So yeah, it can be an emotional high, or low.

EDIT: I had to laugh at myself after writing this. I had the sound off, so I'd forgotten I had it on. Right now I have my tv on "Intervention". I love watching this show. I don't seek it out, but I accidently changed the channel earlier, and now I'm on the 3rd one. So many feels, I love it.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Perhaps sensitivity or HSP is the word you're looking for? I am, but luckily I have gotten a lot better at managing it.

Yesterday I watched a documentary with my parents about a DNA researcher who had extracted DNA from the oldest known skeleton in America and with it proven that 80-90% of all Native Americans today were descendants of his family, showing that they in fact were the first humans on the continent. He then visited many different clans to tell them the news, and in one of them they met a preservation officer who told the story of how his whole family and friends had all died from alcoholism. The amount of tragedy one man had suffered was more than I could bear. It was so, so touching. And while he was telling all this I heard my mother make some uncomfortable noises that made me think she was in as much disbelief as me... until I realized she was simply moving on the couch.. people. tsch.

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
@UnicornRainbowLove It is a HSP trait :) One trait doesn't make you ( @great_pudgy_owl ) an HSP but it certainly wouldn't harm if you would read about it. Do you also struggle with your senses? Are you easily overstimulated?

I am a HSP and I can relate to what you write in your opening post. Yesterday I watched the movie Still Alice, a film with a very emotional story, and afterwards I felt emotionally drained. It felt like I was part of Alice (who struggles with Alzheimer) her family and that I was somewhat struggling with her condition as well.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@UnicornRainbowLove It is a HSP trait :) One trait doesn't make you ( @great_pudgy_owl ) an HSP but it certainly wouldn't harm if you would read about it. Do you also struggle with your senses? Are you easily overstimulated?

I am a HSP and I can relate to what you write in your opening post. Yesterday I watched the movie Still Alice, a film with a very emotional story, and afterwards I felt emotionally drained. It felt like I was part of Alice (who struggles with Alzheimer) her family and that I was somewhat struggling with her condition as well.
Well, that's interesting, just read a little about it. I don't think I'm like that. For instance, I don't like violent movies, typically because it's needless and adds nothing to the plot, yet I like swordfights and some scenes. Horror movies and anything that suggests torture freaks me out, though I usually won't show it, what's the point of that? Do some people really enjoy that disgusting stuff? Though a lot of other people don't either.

Will typically avoid stories that won't end well all together. As far as the characters go, it's mainly a physical reaction I'll feel, sometimes I like the feeling, other times, if the character's obviously sold short, I do get emotionally drained. Know this--it's incredibly embarrassing if you're the only one crying for a TV character, becoming good at hiding it though. Remember at 11 crying when Spock died, a lot. He was everyone else's favorite character, but was the only kid that did. :/

Reactions: yippy

·
Registered
2,436 Posts

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
Well, that's interesting, just read a little about it. I don't think I'm like that. For instance, I don't like violent movies, typically because it's needless and adds nothing to the plot, yet I like swordfights and some scenes. Horror movies and anything that suggests torture freaks me out, though I usually won't show it, what's the point of that? Do some people really enjoy that disgusting stuff? Though a lot of other people don't either.

Will typically avoid stories that won't end well all together. As far as the characters go, it's mainly a physical reaction I'll feel, sometimes I like the feeling, other times, if the character's obviously sold short, I do get emotionally drained. Know this--it's incredibly embarrassing if you're the only one crying for a TV character, becoming good at hiding it though. Remember at 11 crying when Spock died, a lot. He was everyone else's favorite character, but was the only kid that did. :/
Read about it a bit more :) Don't dismiss it because you like sword fighting scenes, I like them too in fact. Lord of the Rings movies are probably my favourite ever films. There are hundreds of traits associated with the HSP, you won't have every single one of them thank goodness. But. If you recognize yourself in the majority of traits then you might be a HSP and knowing that you are makes your life a lot better :)
@UnicornRainbowLove I wonder who would win in a game of nitpicking. The INTP or the INFP. Don't underestimate our attention to detail, especially when we talk about subjects we are passionate. Hmmm. I suddenly realized I am preaching like an INFJ haha. Perhaps I should get that membership card...

·
Registered
3,767 Posts

Clannad managed to get me to tear up.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Read about it a bit more :) Don't dismiss it because you like sword fighting scenes, I like them too in fact. Lord of the Rings movies are probably my favourite ever films. There are hundreds of traits associated with the HSP, you won't have every single one of them thank goodness. But. If you recognize yourself in the majority of traits then you might be a HSP and knowing that you are makes your life a lot better :)
It's not just that, but now you've knocked my straw wall down and I'm really unsure now. Maybe you could help?

I think my main confusion is the descriptions suggest a lot of negativity in sensing for HSPs? Overload, having to be alone for long periods and such. It's harder for me to decide mainly because I'm home schooled and can generally have as much alone time I want without concerning anyone else, so I have no solid comparison...at least for a few more months anyway

However, when I am spending time with a lot of people, I tend to get pretty excited but generally very quiet and internally jittery. Tend to relax and have some pretty good conversations and tend to miss home and get tired, but like how you might keep hopping on your favorite amusement park ride when you're hot, wired, and pooped, I keep talking. I haven't yet experienced or had the need to experience disappearing from the world for a few days because it happens anyway.

I guess what makes me consider the thought more seriously:
I do think I enjoy things more than others though--almost every time we go anywhere, I'm loving every sight, scent, feel, and sound out there and often comment on how fantastic the weather is, fair or storming because it's all great. Negative emotions and loudness does get me eventually. Normally don't mind loudness, and I'm prone to slowly raise my voice, but if it's too constant it affects me weird--sort of painful, sort of shaky and surreal mentally. Every time I'm around someone who complains too much I get pretty withdrawn and often very tired mentally--which generally results in me either doing everything I can to ignore the noise or say something stupid or rash for it to stop. Yay, concluding sentence

Reactions: yippy
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.