Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you get annoyed if anyone tries to over define you even when you usually disagree with it? And then they keep pushing with their over definition?

I can be that way even with my closest friends. Once my best friend insisted that she thought I was fickle minded in some aspect. I got annoyed and simply redefined myself. I am getting used to the fact that certain people often underestimate my mind.

Also, there is this taxi driver I was quite familiar with. Once I was sad and I wanted to be allowed to be sad. He kept insisting as if he saw my sadness as me just being naive, and thought upon listening to his words, I should feel better enough. It really annoyed me.

I know from sociology and experience that negative self fulfilling prophecies can be devastating when they arise, all the way from the subtle to the real effects.

I think I should redefine myself again even if at the end people won't know who the hell I am.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm vindictive so when a person labels me to be a certain way that I know that I am not, I act that way until it annoys them as much as they annoyed me. Sue me.

Reactions: clear moon

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Typically it is incidents in particular that make them think this. This is where you put that Si to the test without the Fi. You need facts and concrete evidence to prove that these things are true of you. Analyze yourself too and don't go by moods.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
...Have you found my Facebook page? I just posted a status about this. :crazy:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
izzie said:
I think I should redefine myself again even if at the end people won't know who the hell I am.
I did this searching for methods to better help others a semester into my freshman year of college, and I have a more developed Ne through it. But I used to be stingy and inconsiderate, though. Now I'm more gentle and although I have (very strong) analytical and problem solving skills, I still go by my feelings over logic with personal matters.

Typically it is incidents in particular that make them think this. This is where you put that Si to the test without the Fi. You need facts and concrete evidence to prove that these things are true of you. Analyze yourself too and don't go by moods.
Now that Apollo mentions it, I do feel this way from time to time. I find a way to relate (agree) to anything until it touches my values in some way shape or form, near or far. I agree completely with putting Si to the test, even though I don't completely understand cognitive functions.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I am used to having my friends define me in very narrow, unflattering terms. Well, they used to be my friends, not anymore. They'd say stuff like, "you're not the kind of guy who can do hard work and stuff, you're more of an office guy." Just because I'm educated and it intimidates them. Then I do hard work at a shitty job and stay there without quitting, and they're like, "That's not hard work cause your boss isn't yelling at you all day."

Then they'd say, "you're going to marry the first girl you sleep with, she's gonna walk all over you." Nope.

"He's really smart with school stuff, but he doesn't have any common sense, he couldn't make it in the 'real' world."

"Your life has been easy, you don't know what it's like to have to make it on your own."

"I don't pay attention to politics and current events cause they don't mean anything, your just paranoid and can't accept that things don't happen the way you think they do."

"you're only moral and idealistic cause you can afford to be, in the 'real' world people aren't like that, you just have to learn to drop your standards." Okay no one ever said this to me but it is all implied. Some of my old friends were constantly belittling and misrepresenting me because I was different and it threatened them. Though they did it in an indirect way, as if they were giving me advice, but really they were trying to tell me that I was stupid and should do things their way.

Define your own self, people don't want you to succeed by doing things differently.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I find it amusing when people try to go all zen on me and tell me what I'm thinking before I think it.

Then it's fun to 'correct' them with something completely bullshit I'm supposedly thinking of.
eg:
other arsehole: "you're thinking of *obviously wrong thing anyway*" (probably how I'm supposedly feeling about something/someone/life)

me: "Actually I was just thinking about what would happen if you crossed a horse with a camel, or a donkey"

People who think they are mindfucking you are hilarious, I just play along.

Reactions: maxisokay

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Yeah, it can be annoying. I try not to see it as a threat to who I am. People perceive & define things differently, and so maybe from their perspective I am X way, but I don't see it way, and I'm not going to limit myself by that perception. It can be kind of how MBTI is sometimes used in a stereotypical way - creating false dichotomies.

One thing that annoys me is when my ISFJ mom and ESFP sister will say I don't like some cliche romantic movie or song because I have never been in love & can't understand it. I tell them, "No, that is just not MY idea of romance." I find it sappy & phony. Now that I've had some dating experience, they say this less, as they see I really do have a different approach and attitude towards romantic relationships.

I suppose I am irritated most when someone tries to tell me how I feel or what I understand or why I fee/believe something. Sometimes outside impressions can be useful though; I do want to know how I come across to others, so I know I am sending the message I want to send.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
This happened to me a lot, for a lot of reasons. I remember when I had this one friend and she was like,

"You have the perfect body. Boys must love you." (Some, not all. Tis' life.)
"Your life is so easy." (LOLOLOLOL)
"Why are you always so sad? At least your parents don't beat you."

People who jump into conclusions are just silly people, really.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Oh goodness. Story of my life.
One of my best friends throughout high school always goes, "You're not going to do it." When I make a plan.
Or "You always do that." whenever I do anything. She probably does understand me but she acts as if half the things I do are bad just because I'm not her and sometimes she's too quick to put me in a tiny, confining box. All the guy friends I had in high school don't understand me at all. Once they all got drunk and started saying I was the nicest person ever. I mean, I'm a nice person, but I just kept thinking they were oversimplifying me and didn't know much about me at all. I wasn't offended, of course. It just made me think.

·
Registered
337 Posts
My problem is my husband, despite my efforts to educate him on the subject, continues to insist that introversion and depression are the same thing. I've tried to get him to read about personality type, because through it, I've learned that I'm not broken, I don't need to be fixed. And he can't read more than a couple of lines before he puts it down. So I hear:

"You don't have much energy - you're depressed.
You like to sleep late on the weekends - you're depresssed.
You have a serious expression on your face - you're depressed.
You don't socialize enough - you're depressed.
You don't want to host my family for weeks at a time and cook a big dinner for them every night - you're depressed."

Nothing I say will alter that opinion. So I end up not wanting to talk, which, you guessed it, means I'm depressed!!!

To me, this says he thinks I should just tbe able to take a pill to become more like him, and everything would be fine. Nobody likes me anymore now that I'm saying what I really think instead of saying what they want to hear.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I hate it when people try to tell me how I am, or how I feel towards something. I guess it's my fault for leaving such little scraps of myself for people to understand me, but they just take those little bits and blow them out of proportion to try and label me or tell me how I feel/think. Sometimes those scraps are just random moments of strong T or J or other uncharacteristic traits, which just makes their analysis even more incorrect.

And then sometimes they just do all that just to compare themselves to me, and say how they're much more adept at a certain situation than I am compared to my "weakness/flakyness".

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
i don't mind people talking anaylazing me..aslong as it's true.the idea that people are trying to figure me out is nice-it shows they care

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I am used to having my friends define me in very narrow, unflattering terms.
Excessive whining is a side effect of the eternal dissatisfaction. It drives forth change like nothing else, though the whining gets annoying. It's not truly personal though, what targets you, that is. It happens to almost everyone who isn't understood.

I don't tend to be bothered with labels. If anything, I do the honor and carry out whatever I'm supposed to. People call me an asshole ingame when I mind my own business and don't get caught up in petty details I consider pointless in regard to winning, and then sometimes I become exactly that. It takes a lot of effort to ignore everything and just carry on, but I am working on it. ^^

1 - 14 of 14 Posts