Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If someone offends you to the point of wanting to "get even" with them, and you are given the chance to retaliate and you succeed, do you find satisfaction in this? If so, why?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I have always seen revenge as a sort of justice, You get ignorant people who don't give a crap about other people, Are intentionally going out of their way to hurt or annoy others. And what are you suppose to do? turn the other cheek?

no, i think that if you try to rise higher than these morons, they are too stupid to even understand what you did. you must sink down to their level, to get them to listen and to understand, its the only language they understand.

·
Registered
461 Posts
No, I don't. Someone has to be the grown-up in a fight. Clue: No one else ever is

(Although I do like winning a verbal discussion with facts and logic, but no personal attacks)

·
Registered
492 Posts
I rarely get angry enough to want to damage another person. Even then, once I've removed myself from the situation, I can't maintain burning or freezing anger. It's not worth the time or effort. I don't try to "get back" at people. I'll close them out instead if I know they're trying to get to me.

Must people will get a couple of chances; but once they're gone, they're gone and you're no longer worth bothering with. End of story.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Revenge is a dish best served cold.

I get some pleasure, if years later I hear about someone I shut out because they did something... Dies, in a fire, because their car got crushed, from the big giant train that hit them while they were on the tracks trying to commit suicide with a gun because they lost all their money and their wife/husband left them.

Somthing like that would make me chuckle. Quite possibly brighten my day.

But if people want to piss around and play games, sooner or later I cut them out. End.

Basically the best revenge is to live well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Even for deliberate jackassery, I won't go far out of my way for revenge, but if the means are accessible and it's more a matter of waiting for the best opportunity to strike in a weak spot, I deftly take the opportunity, and relish in it.

Sadly, by that time, it's not even personal anymore, so the pleasure is kind of shallow. Maybe I just like having an excuse to manifest my infrequent, subtle violent urges. :eek:

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Libtard
22,602 Posts
I don't seek revenge from anyone. I have been on the receiving end of others reaping their revenge for imagined wrongs though. Exes who try to cut all your utilities off just so you will be utterly broke trying to pay full accounts and reconnection fees or the classic handful of screws put into my car engine because I've ended the relationships.

Both of these times the perps were trying to get back with me afterwards. Geezuz! Talk about sweet talk a girl.

No, I don't go for revenge. I get more satisfaction out of cutting people out and living well in spite of seeing and living through that type of bullshit.

·
Registered
599 Posts
If the wrong doings are directed towards me I just ignore / cut off people BUT if those are directed to those very few people that I care, there are very few things that I wouldn't do to balance the score / get justice. And in that case I would have to be absolutely sure that my actions are justified.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Not going to lie, I definitely would highly enjoy and find great satisfaction in it, but I won't actively seek revenge. Personally, it's because I'm a bit of a sadist and find the "eye for an eye" principle to be highly attractive. But logically, it usually only creates an even larger hell-vortex which is why I keep to simple, basic confrontation. Generally.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've found that living well is the best revenge.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If the wrong doings are directed towards me I just ignore / cut off people BUT if those are directed to those very few people that I care, there are very few things that I wouldn't do to balance the score / get justice. And in that case I would have to be absolutely sure that my actions are justified.
You and me both.

But, i find it odd that the OP puts the repliers in a strict scenario.
it basically says "ok, so revenge is yours, how do you feel?"
it's none of my business i know:mellow:

·
Banned
2,005 Posts
Same here. Actively seeking revenge for myself just seems like a waste of time and energy. It's easier to stop acknowledging that people exist when they piss me off enough.

I'm a douchelord when it comes to my friends/family getting hurt, though, and take immense pleasure in aspiring to new heights of vindictiveness. It's very much an issue of feeling like whoever needs to be put to justice, but unfortunately I'm so irrational when I get like this that I don't know when enough is enough.

·
Banned
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Revenge is a dish best served cold.

I get some pleasure, if years later I hear about someone I shut out because they did something... Dies, in a fire, because their car got crushed, from the big giant train that hit them while they were on the tracks trying to commit suicide with a gun because they lost all their money and their wife/husband left them.

Somthing like that would make me chuckle. Quite possibly brighten my day.
I am the same way, although I am hesitant to admit it. For instance, a girl from my high school recently died at age 29. It was unfortunate she didn't make it to live to see 30. I thought she was a former bully of mines, but I was mistaken.

If she were a former bully of mines, I would have laughed. Since she was not, I felt guilty, repented, and said three hail marrys (I can get a bit superstitious at times).

·
Registered
714 Posts
I don't like revenge and if I have the chance I hope I'm a better person to just be able and walk away. Though given my cognitive function I'd say I would be able to think things through and understand why they did what they did.

On a side note though, this question reminded me of this.

The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath: it is twice bless’d;
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.
’Tis mightiest in the mightiest; it becomes
The throned monarch better than his crown;
His sceptre shows the force of temporal power,
The attribute to awe and majesty,
Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings;
But mercy is above this sceptred sway,
It is enthroned in the hearts of kings,
It is an attribute to God himself;
And earthly power doth then show likest God’s,
When mercy seasons justice. Therefore, Jew,
Though justice be thy plea, consider this,
That in the course of justice none of us
Should see salvation: we do pray for mercy;
And that same prayer, doth teach us all to render
The deeds of mercy.

-Merchant of Venice-

·
Registered
35 Posts
I won't actively seek revenge, but at the same time I will never help them or acknowledge them again. But if fate hands me a chance to take revenge without me looking for it... I can't say I wouldn't seize the opportunity.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If it's offense against me, I'll just cut it off -- unless it was serious, then if revenge is the only means of justice, so be it.

If it's offense against someone I care about... you're dead. And I'll enjoy it.

I've found that living well is the best revenge.
Great perspective.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts