Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good gods, I need help. :unsure:

I live very much in my own head (as I would guess most INFJs - or perhaps all - do).

Sometimes it feels like mental torture. I have all these ideas and know what I WANT to do (and SHOULD do), but...I don't DO them.

I've been thinking about writing a series of nutrition and weight loss guides that I'll sell via a website I own with two other people. I'm certain they will sell like mad and will bring us in a lot of money, but...I just can't seem to get STARTED on them and make this happen.

Do you do this too? Have you found a way to overcome this? Unfortunately, the two women I own the site with procrastinate worse than I do, so I can't look to them for a push. lol

Help? :frustrating:

·
Registered
144 Posts
This happens to me all the time. I find I need to write it all on paper first because being at the computer just reminds me of things I should re-think, or re-research. Being out in nature or just playing music to help drown out the worries that I haven't accumulated enough information. I type like 100 words per minute so I know I won't have a problem re-writing what I put on paper on the computer.

I blame my electronics for the reason being I can't switch off and just act. :dry:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Holy cow, yes, definitely, especially in recent years.

As work is winding down and I'm ready to go back out into the world, I'll make plans to go to WalMart, then get some groceries, then stop at someplace like Jimmy John's on the way home.
What actually transpires 90% of the time is that I'll change my mind and head straight home, instead (especially if I've had my share of socializing at work already).

I can make a list for the coming week that includes the beach, a walk here, a drive there, some errands here, etc., and by week's end, I might not have done any of them.

Sometimes I think I need to find a less social, energy-draining job to see if I can alter the cycle a bit, because I'm often at the point where the only thing that will get me out as promised is if I am out of toilet paper. :shocked:

Even in the past (especially with vacation-planning), I would either over-think plans from five simple items up to 70 of them (alas, I once went on a 31-day vacation) or I would get overwhelmed by the expected results of my plans (will there be a lot of people there I don't know ?; will I be welcome there ?; will I look foolish for being by myself again ?;, etc.).

In all, I'd have to say that I am guilty of planning things and acting upon them on a ratio of about 15:1, (with the '1' usually being either toilet paper or gas in the car). :laughing:

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
When I was in high school, I struggled with over-thinking, over-researching, pretty much doing so much prep that I never got around to the actual thing. Somewhere in college, juggling multiple jobs and a full course load taught me to act when I could, and that knowing enough and acting on it was better than being the most knowledgeable person to never do anything.

Still, the instinct is something learned. I love watching people with that talent and trying to refine that ability. Te-doms, in particular, blow me away with their natural ability to take control of the situation and shape it to their benefit. When I get the chance, I'm always picking their brain, trying to dissect their processes.

Loosely related, but I seriously enjoy all the reality shows where people do odd jobs and rely on personal experience/expertise/bargaining ability to make a buck. Things like American Pickers, Shipping Wars, Storage Wars, Pawn Stars, etc. Its exactly the kind of thing that makes me want to do it myself.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Just to make you feel better, I haven't done laundry for more than 3 months. I just keep buying new underpants and clothes. It's true. I am not joking.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discipline -- where's the paddle?

Many people get stuck in this cycle and tend to look for is motivation or inspiration to really set things into motion -- you're at a stand still. Sadly, it's hard to say when you'll get that jolt of energy so in the meantime you sort of feel like crap with things lingering over you and likely stacking up. , sort of like this idea of cleaning the house from top to bottom, but you invest yourself so much into it that you dread the idea of having to do it again. Once and awhile you'll get that zap of motivation all of a sudden you're a race horse just barrelling past everyone to the finish line. When you're there, you're spent and catching your breath, but standing still once again. You dread the idea of the next race...

For someone that's disciplined though, they basically jog through everything. No stand stills and no sprinting involved, they take everything at a manageable pace. If you're much of a jogger in the real world, you'll know there's a certain point where your chest starts to hurt and your body wants to quit, but if you keep pushing for about 10 mins your body actually switches modes and adjusts. Whereas if you sprint and try to force it your body literally will fail at a certain point.

General advice is try to get into routines and don't listen to the excuses you tell yourself to try to get out of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think that it's a combination of answers that others have given. The discipline is very necessary. At the same time, I struggle with gathering knowledge before doing something because I'm terrified of being unprepared. Maybe you can relate? I think that I need to work on realizing that it's good to gather a little knowledge, but if that's all you do, you will never get around to actually doing anything. People aren't nearly as harsh of critics in the real world as they are in my head, either! The best way to learn and to get things done is by DOING. Thinking is wonderful, but it doesn't cut it all by itself. Good luck!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discipline -- where's the paddle?

Many people get stuck in this cycle and tend to look for is motivation or inspiration to really set things into motion -- you're at a stand still. Sadly, it's hard to say when you'll get that jolt of energy so in the meantime you sort of feel like crap with things lingering over you and likely stacking up. , sort of like this idea of cleaning the house from top to bottom, but you invest yourself so much into it that you dread the idea of having to do it again. Once and awhile you'll get that zap of motivation all of a sudden you're a race horse just barrelling past everyone to the finish line. When you're there, you're spent and catching your breath, but standing still once again. You dread the idea of the next race...

For someone that's disciplined though, they basically jog through everything. No stand stills and no sprinting involved, they take everything at a manageable pace. If you're much of a jogger in the real world, you'll know there's a certain point where your chest starts to hurt and your body wants to quit, but if you keep pushing for about 10 mins your body actually switches modes and adjusts. Whereas if you sprint and try to force it your body literally will fail at a certain point.

General advice is try to get into routines and don't listen to the excuses you tell yourself to try to get out of it.
This. Just start your project, and it might not even be right at first, but you can always edit what you wrote. Who knows it may even come out right the first time. Even if you don't have motivation, start, because motivation isn't always reliable when something needs to be done. In fact the motivation might even come after you've finished. When you start, you'll also be an inspiring catalyst for the others to get started. :happy: The more and more you do, the more and more you'll influence them to do more.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Oh my gosh, I relate so much. I had to write this research paper which was part of my final exam and I knew exactly what I wanted to do, what the result would look like and what conclusion would come out. Somehow it took me WEEKS to actually start writing it! I don't know why; I guess I was just scared the final result wouldn't meet my impossible standards.. It did, though, in the end - my paper came out exactly as I had planned and I got a 10/10.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
Type 6 problems :unsure: :crying:

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
I used to have that. For example I wanted to ask my gf to marry me but couldn't. Now I suffer from not doing stuff. I get stuck in doing mode and can't stop. I guess you can't have it all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts