Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To mess with people's minds just to see a reaction? I know it sounds immature but every so often I can't help myself.

Like there was this INTJ girl I worked with and she knew I was introverted. In fact when we first met I believe we had a conversation along these lines.
Her: "You don't talk much do you?"
Me: "Nope." /conversation
We were a pretty good team, we'd get the job, we'd do the work quickly with no nonsense or real conversations we'd just work, and as a result we'd finish quickly. That lead us to having some free time on this one day and I was bored and felt extroverted, so I just started talking to her and it caught her off guard. When I noticed that I caught her off guard I decided to be even more extroverted. Her reaction was priceless, without saying anything she was like 'WTF why are you talking? You don't talk.'

This can become a 'finish the sentence' thread afterwords if you want.

Reactions: niss

·
Banned
160 Posts
Yes I do this with my friends all the time. My humor is very dry and it is always worth the looks on their faces when I lay out my one liners and jokes. I do the opposite of what they expect in a natural way but obvious at the same time (if that makes sense).

·
Registered
324 Posts
To mess with people's minds just to see a reaction? I know it sounds immature but every so often I can't help myself.
Yes, i have done the same thing. Unfortunately some people believe the stereotype of the quiet person that its good to just totally throw them off. Usually i will say something smart or something that is shocking that the look on their face and more importantly how they react to me is priceless.

Have to keep them guessing:laughing:

Reactions: niss and Achi

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Not really given to this. *shrugs*

Reactions: Achi

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Yep. I do that as well.

But I am glad that that INTJ girl wasn't me because that's a very typical way I would have talked to some introvert initially- relaying my observation and analysis to get them comfortable. Probably my reaction as well if you started talking nonsense or something unexpected and I had no idea how to react.

·
Registered
295 Posts
No. I do joke with people, but I wouldn't call what I do "messing with people's minds".

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I'm the victim of such ploys. People mess with my mind.

They seem to find it particularly entertaining that I literally believe just about anything I'm told. Then they'd tell me they were kidding just so they'd get to see me disappointed/ puzzled/ mildly frustrated.

Sigh.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I'm the victim of such ploys. People mess with my mind.

They seem to find it particularly entertaining that I literally believe just about anything I'm told. Then they'd tell me they were kidding just so they'd get to see me disappointed/ puzzled/ mildly frustrated.

Sigh.
This is very similar to my experience.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I don't mess with people's minds, but I'm not above playing the odd practical joke, as long as it is harmless and all in fun.

And I do the dry humour thing.

Basically, ISTJ people can be FUN! Those are all good people skills to develop.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been known to mess with people's minds. People have done the same to me. Either way it was done in fun.

Yes, ISTJ's can be fun. :laughing:

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
This is very similar to my experience.
Same here.

However, the ONE time I pulled a joke at work it was epic.

I went into a coworker's office around April Fools' Day (she wasn't there) and turned EVERYTHING in her office upside down - books, telephone, papers, you name it.
It took her two weeks to figure out that I'd done it - in the interim, she questioned the usual practical joker (the ENFJ) ... except he hadn't done it (although he was impressed with "whoever had"). She also questioned every single person in the office ... except me. Apparently I have a reputation as the most serious person on the face of the planet, and so therefore she never even considered that I'd do something like that.
Anyway, eventually she realized that I'd done it, and everyone at the office was completely speechless. I pulled this stunt about six years ago and people are STILL talking about it.
Therefore, it won't be necessary to do anything of that nature again; I've established that I do in fact have a sense of humor, contrary to what they may have thought previously :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts