Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought of this as something out of the ordinary, although I suppose it is to other people.

My ENFJ (35 year old) sister was here for a few minutes. I went out to the garage and sat down. She came out and asked what I was doing out there.

The conversation transpired somewhat like this: (she leads)

"What are you doing?"
"Thinking..."
"Don't think. It's depressing."
"It makes me happy."
"It depresses me, with my sad life."
"There are sadder out there..."
"Like what?"

So we walk outside... (my lead)

"That tree has been alive for ten or twenty years – growing, shedding leaves year by year, growing them back, supporting wildlife... then all of a sudden something goes wrong and it breaks"
"Sad...", she remarks.

I continue:

"Then after breaking, it's allowed to stand tall and proud for just one more day... when it is reduced to a bunch of stumps where limbs used to be... finally, it is reduced to a single stump"
"Depressing...", she says.
"But that's not all!", I continue yet again, "even though it's a stump and lives a life tethered to the ground, stuck in one place, no longer standing proud... it's alive."

I walk back in, she gets something out of her car, walks in as well, we sit down and carry on casual conversation. It was rather enjoyable.

Recalling the story to mysterysolved, however, she seemed to think it a bit unusual. Not bad unusual, just something you wouldn't expect.

Do other INTPs do this or am I all alone? Take note that I hadn't really considered anything about the tree before I decided to give this monologue. It just sort of ... happened.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Doesn't sound too unusual, just rarely wise. I'm familiar with it, I do it often - if my observation flows that way. (Nice little speech, though; I liked it.)

·
Banned
596 Posts
I THINK about giving monologues, but never actually do it.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Rarely, but after I give one, I generally see people staring at me oddly. They tend to be more or less impromptu, though, like a small streak that surfaces several times every year or so. Those are the only times I tend to be insightful in the least, at least when I am talking. Most depressing.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I'd rather listen and observe to understand than dance with my own ignorance.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd rather listen and observe to understand than dance with my own ignorance.
Are you not so good at sharing observations? My observations fit the subject, and they were my observations. The tree wasn't special in any way. It was just... there. It probably won't get much discussion, so I believe it was in for positive reinforcement. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I go off on too many tangents to be able to deliver a speech like that. I would have gotten distracted talking about some other tree. (Incidentally, your story really resonated with me because my parents just had a tree that's been around since my childhood taken down recently.) I just don't think I could have delivered something so poignant and precise off the cuff like that.

Those kind of things come to mind occasionally though. But it's more like a movie or TV show voice over. They are monologues, but they rarely make it out of my head. Wow. I need to watch less TV; it's started to permeate my regular thought process.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Are you not so good at sharing observations? My observations fit the subject, and they were my observations. The tree wasn't special in any way. It was just... there. It probably won't get much discussion, so I believe it was in for positive reinforcement. :tongue:
I’m prone to the occasional monologue but prefer to listen than to express my own biases. Of course, I’m a human and need to express my opinions and observations, but I’d rather learn from other perspectives, rather than constantly “running my mouth like verbal diarrhea.” I did enjoy your speech and found it philosophical and ambiguously moral. Perhaps I’m selective with who I share my ignorance with.

Reactions: username

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I prefer listening to talking by about 10:1, but when I talk I make sure it's a worthwhile pursuit.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
I don't give monologues because I don't assume anyone wants to hear my thoughts. But I used to write a lot of poetry when I was younger, and I liked reading it to people, so I guess that's kind of like giving monologues.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I rarely do, I prefer to just shut up and listen, and most times I really struggle with translating my thoughts into words. If my inner translator is up and working and I know what I want to say, I forget the words I want to use.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts