Personality Cafe banner

When someone doesn't return the favor, how do you react more often than not?

• I take the gift back.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I decide not to help that person again.

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • I'll pretend nothing happened. I help people without the intention of getting something back.

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • It's a split between doing nothing and taking the gift back.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I talk to the person about it to make sure that they understand my expectations.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other (please state).

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Are you:

someone who gives gifts with the expectation that they'll get a service or gift that's equally, or more, beneficial in return.
someone who gives gifts but then later takes it back (perhaps when the other person fails to appreciate the gift or return the favor, or for some other reason).

I'm not really talking about when you give something with the intention of taking it back. And I'm not talking about someone who is a giver but is also takes it back Also, the gift doesn't have to be material, it could be a service that you were going to do for the person.

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Libtard
22,420 Posts
If I want nothing to do with that person any more I certainly won't do them a service which involves me being around them, however sometimes I'll do that one last thing as a means to just feel OK (like I have unfinished business). Then have nothing to do with them.

I don't take back gifts. I don't buy them for myself. They can do what they like with it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I don't do gifts and if someone gives me one I ask myself what they really want from me and maybe they'll expect some sort of reciprocation in the near of far future. Thus I avoid this kind of persons and receiving gifts from them.

However, hypothetically, if I would want to give a gift to someone it would have to be a very, very, very special person and I would never expect them to give me something in return. I would consider it an insult.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I tend to do favors just because I'm able to at the time; I won't usually do things for others if I need to expend a significant amount of my time and energy. Doesn't matter who it is, as long as I know that the receiver won't keep bugging me for more after that. There isn't much emotional attachment involved in doing that favor in the first place.

Reactions: superbored

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have the weird tendency to always want to outgive the other. Its a type nine quirk I believe.
I don't think it's that odd. It's obviously not a competition but I have the same urge to outgive.
This also currently bothering me because somebody gave me a gift and I can't think of anything to give back. It's a bit ridiculous because I always win.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
This term is VERY offensive.

And the term came from white people who found it difficult to cheat the natives.

Please do not continue to use this term.

·
Registered
449 Posts
[/QUOTE]Are you:

someone who gives gifts with the expectation that they'll get a service or gift that's equally, or more, beneficial in return.
someone who gives gifts but then later takes it back (perhaps when the other person fails to appreciate the gift or return the favor, or for some other reason).

I'm not really talking about when you give something with the intention of taking it back. And I'm not talking about someone who is a giver but is also takes it back Also, the gift doesn't have to be material, it could be a service that you were going to do for the person.

[/QUOTE]

I chose OTHER. The reason is that my desire to take a gift back depends almost entirely on how the gift is received/treated. If the person I give a gift to (and bear in mind, when I give a present, it's f***in' NICE) acts like I just handed them a chunk of roadkill, or if they seem grateful but then let the item rot in the passenger-side footwell of their car...et cetera and so on...yeah, the second they're not looking, that shiny toy goes right back into my pocket.

Act like an ungrateful turd and I will get whatever-it-might-be back. If I am thanked somewhat earnestly and I don't see open abuse toward the gift, I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
When I 'give' something I give freely. I don't expect anything in return.

I know other people do though, but I don't think like that. If you're someone special to me and it's your birthday I just want to communicate "you're special to me so I want to make you happy today." I don't consider 'how nice someone else's present to me was' when I go buy a present for someone, that's completely disingenuous in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Just wanted to thank the op for changing the title!! <3

Reactions: MindBomb

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I usually don't do anything much. Taking back a gift just because you didn't get any gift in return is a bit rude...

·
Banned
2,064 Posts
Are you:

Depends, if the person is ungrateful about the gift received, YES, I want the gift back or something else in return, if he/she's not then I mostly do nothing it would be a waste of time anyways, in economics it's called sunk cost.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts