Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in my 30s and have started exploring nightclubs. During my 20s I never liked it much, too much noise, pointlessness, and I used to not drink. But now, I've learnt to let go and dance whatever way I like. What is the forum's experience?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
No. I'm not into dancing. Especially not to bad music that doesn't move me in the slightest.

I went with friends a few times during college out of politeness/friendliness, and pretended to enjoy myself. But it was boring, conversations were difficult, and I wasn't going to find anyone I'd be interested in there either.

Those few times were enough to convince me that I couldn't be bothered to go ever again, and I'd be quite happy saying "nope" to anyone who asked.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
My patience wore thin on it by the time I was 25.

I will still go to tag along, but to treat a nightclub as a serious night out is a farce for me, mainly because there is so much noise that the conversation I'm having is pointless (I can't hear them clearly; they can't hear me), and I'm too self-conscious to dance or let anyone see me embarrassingly excited.

It works for others, and that's why nightclubs flourish. However, I'll take a beach and a book every available time. :happy:

I'm a bit repellent to the likes of Las Vegas, limousines, and high profile adventures, so it's natural for me to put nightclubs way, way down on the list.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I'd go to college dance parties and night clubs when I was in Uni. After college, I stopped going to college dances but I'd still be clubbing with casual friends (my BFFs are not into clubbing). The most fun I had was at a club in Koreatown. We danced to K-pop like tribal people, taking over the dance floor like we owned the place.

However, I would never go by myself or with 1 or 2 others. It had to be a sizeable group (10 to 20) before I'd say yes. Being with a group I had less to worry about. Guys usually would take care of us ladies.

I was a quick study, able to mimic people or go-go dancers on the isolated high platform simultaneously. Guys loved dancing with me.

It was a form of exercise. It didn't require talking (can't hear anyway). It's a chance for me to dress vampy and sexy. I got to grind into a guy, practicing my teasing skill. What's not to like (except the line outside of lady's room)?

However, I did not care for raves or anything that's out in remote, isolated area. There are too many drug pushers.

Now? My clubbing days are over many years ago. Ppl got married, moved away, started having children. Nobody I know right now goes to dance clubs, not once a week, a month, or a year; try never.

Does it make me sound very Se? As an INFJ I do have a high level of Se awareness.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Never really been into that lifestyle.

- I'm not much of a drinker and I don't really consider bonding with someone with a few drinks in them as genuine.
- Crowded areas just aren't my thing, not to mention it tends to be hot in there.
- Just too noisy for me.
- I'm strangely protective of my lady friends and most women in general. I'd probably be on surveillance mode trying to make sure everyone is safe and I always feel like I'd probably punch a couple sleazy guys out just because I know how they can get.

All in all, I just couldn't relax.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
I wish I could but I doubt they would let me in because everybody hates me

Reactions: WhyINTP

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The thought alone gives me shivers and the onset of a headache.

To be honest, I even dislike the mentality and behaviorism of people that frequent nightclubs out of their free will.
I've found a great way to get over it. Find a club with good music, and focus on the music. Forget the people and even how you're dancing. It gets better with practice. Then when you're in the music, have started to feel comfortable, try dancing with someone (if you're a guy you move into a girl's space, if you're a girl you wait for a guy to approach you). Its not that bad, I've found it can be relaxing and almost borderline meditation once you build rhythm.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've found a great way to get over it. Find a club with good music, and focus on the music. Forget the people and even how you're dancing. It gets better with practice. Then when you're in the music, have started to feel comfortable, try dancing with someone (if you're a guy you move into a girl's space, if you're a girl you wait for a guy to approach you). Its not that bad, I've found it can be relaxing and almost borderline meditation once you build rhythm.
Ehmm, you might not realize that I spontaneously break out into dancing with my GF (she's always up to my invitation); for example, in an Irish pub when a life band is playing or at any music performance.
The thing is I love dancing and am good at it. Doesn't matter if it's country, rock, blues or electronic music. If I feel like dancing, I'll dance, no matter where I am. Funny thing is that after we start, people join in.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Regularly? No. Do I enjoy it? Yes, when it's got music I enjoy but I prefer a bar/pub.

My first and only experience to date was last year. I went with my friends but none of us knew what we were doing. You know how there's always one "wild" friend in a group -- one who is more knowledgeable about the hotspots for nightclubbing, she was MIA that night. We ended up going into one after an hour or two trying to navigate our way, only to realise that it was Latino Night and it drew in crowds older than we were. Everyone was speaking in Spanish, we witnessed this significantly older man grinding a woman in her 30s... it was an interesting experience but we felt completely out of place and left after our first round of drinks. We then went club-hopping, trying to find a place to hang around and ended up in the gay bars and clubs, where it fit our taste in music.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not night clubs, but I did recently go to an event called "Cuban Night" and they had real Cuban food, traditional Cuban dancing and more modern style dancing as well. It was at a dance studio, so there were some really great dancers in the mix. I myself am not good at dancing at all, but I don't mind making a fool out of myself and I went with some good friends! So all and all it was a great night!

Reactions: HorribleAesthete

·
SAY MY NAME
INTJ
8,476 Posts
You can't smoke weed and discuss the reification of gender roles in post-colonial Jamaican music if you're in a nightclub, so no, I don't really like them. They do not allow me to furnish my two greatest vices: intelligent conversation and consumption of C.sativa.

I love the music at clubs though. That shit pound. And if it makes others happy, then I should oblige them by going when required and not being sour about it.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
No, not really at all.

I used to party a alot in private with my friends from 15-17. Then people started to go to the clubs and I did not really follow.

I have often thought about going these days, and am glad to hear that some have started to go more.
I am also rather self conscious, hard to let go.. Actually my self control rises the more I drink, completely focused on keeping my balance and watching my every step.. But people also say I begin talking ALOT more, which probably is true :laughing:.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Another not really here. I let myself be persuading three times: too crowdy, too noisy, too many strangers staring creepily at you...
Plus i leave with a headache and it's just not what i consider fun.

As a student i liked some of the student bars that also had loud music and no tables or chairs, but it was a lot more low key and you were amongst yourself. So a lot more fun.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts