Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this among fellow INFJs already because I know I've experienced it and it seems many of us INFJs can relate, but now what I'm wondering is if its just an Ni thing or if types with Ne experience this as well.

Do you guys ever "just know" what will happen?

So examples...
Have you ever "just known" that you would be good friends with someone?
Have you ever "just known" that a certain job would be perfect for you?
Have you ever "just known" that when dating someone that it would not last beyond a given period of time?

etc. etc. etc.

Reactions: marzipan01

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes! but not so much with personal relationships (because I think I subconsciously make these things happen) but with other people's relationships or other things. & people get ticked at me if I say, oh Jon and Sherry aren't gonna last he's gonna cheat on her... and I am usually right. Don't know if that's the same thing. However my ENFP friend "just knew" she would like the University she is currently attending.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yes, yes, and somewhat to those three.

I get a certain feeling and know when there is a right fit when I meet a new friend.
If a job can get me excited about the possibilities it entails (i.e. creatively using your mind, different assignments given often) then I know its great from the get go.

With relationships, I have to say yes and no. If I don't see it happening, it definitely doesn't happen. If I see it working out, then it will work out for me. I know when I've found someone compatible for me so I don't second guess myself and make the relationship work. The thing is that I can't read the other person's mind and tell whether she sees the relationship lasting. That's the part that always catches me by surprise as I'm sure it does for most people who've ever been dumped.

As for Ne being able to "see" into the future, I think it has to do with our ability to see patterns and connect dots.
I'll give a simple, real life example: I hung out with my cousin all day one day. Had lots of fun and went home late. Next morning as soon as he woke up he had to rush to take out the trash because it was trash day. I know because I saw him running by my window and he lives next door to me. I also saw him cleaning something outside afterwards. A few hours later I walk over to his place and my mind says "he's taking a shower. He can't open the door for you". Sure enough that's exactly what happened. My mind didn't just know out of nowhere. It simply calculated the following:

1. He didn't shower yesterday so he had to shower today.
2. I was starving that morning so I suspected he was too since we spent the entire day together.
3. He's a lagger. Takes his time for everything.
4. I'm not a lagger so I took a shower fairly early.
5. Add all this up and I knew he was taking a shower at two in the afternoon. No mystery for me.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Yes, but people rarely believe me.
Luckily I'm an ass and think "I told you so" is the greatest phrase ever invented.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yep all the time.....I'm generally dead on about peoples behaviour and true intentions I think its because ENTP's can spot patterns very easily. I know I pick up on patterns of behaviour. Our MBTI type is called "The Visionary" as well as "Inventor". This link I read says the same thing.......

Portrait of an ENTP

"Using their intuition to process this information, they are usually extremely quick and accurate in their ability to size up a situation. With the exception of their ENFP cousin, the ENTP has a deeper understanding of their environment than any of the other types......

Although the ENTP is more interested in absorbing information than in making decisions, they are quite rational and logical in reaching conclusions. When they apply Thinking to their Intuitive perceptions, the outcome can be very powerful indeed. A well-developed ENTP is extremely visionary, inventive, and enterprising."

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'ma have to jump on the bandwagon on this one. I see almost everything coming now-a-days. I used to have it happen a reasonable amount of the time, but other times it'd feel kinda dejavu-ish. When I started to consciously notice its frequency I started paying attention to it. Now I'm watching for it all the time because I think it's such a fun game.

I actually have been training this phenomenon into my martial arts for the last 5-6 years on purpose. It's done wonders ... I mean I know we're talking about broader scheme things for the most part in this thread ... but let me tell you it can definitely be scaled down to a second by second effect as well.

Reactions: marzipan01

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ive watched Seinfeld (and many other sitcoms) so many times on TBS, I subconsciously predict upcoming episodes. This works by an image, or scene from a particular episode entering my mind, then a few days later it shows up. Obviously this isn't the 'sizing up' everyone is talking about, but it's the only example I could think of atm.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Knowing what I know about how memory works, I'm initially hesitating to agree with everybody else. We might THINK we "saw it coming" after the fact.

Plus, making accurate predictions about whether you'll like someone is most definitely not an ENTP-exclusive trait, I'm sorry to say.

Having said that, my own ability to preemptively know what people will think or feel or say has been described by many as "freakish," right along with my ability to instantly recall who's Catholic and who's allergic to soy. It doesn't feel freakish when I do any of it though. Just comes naturally.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Knowing what I know about how memory works, I'm initially hesitating to agree with everybody else. We might THINK we "saw it coming" after the fact.

Plus, making accurate predictions about whether you'll like someone is most definitely not an ENTP-exclusive trait, I'm sorry to say.

Having said that, my own ability to preemptively know what people will think or feel or say has been described by many as "freakish," right along with my ability to instantly recall who's Catholic and who's allergic to soy. It doesn't feel freakish when I do any of it though. Just comes naturally.
Well I think it's the same for all of us ... from our own perspective ... i think the "freakish" nature of it all comes in when viewing it from an outside perspective.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Ya, for the most part. I used to say "I just know" and did not know how to explain it. But, I'm able to explain things in detail most of the time nowadays, but I elect not to most of the time, cause it gets complicated, and when I do people look at me like this. :|

·
Registered
182 Posts
I say I 'told you so' too often. :/

But when I suspect something will happen, I have very solid ideas as to why. Its not a 'I just know' kind of feeling. The only problem with that is that it can be a bit fatalistic and when other people tell me 'I just know', I feel compelled to prove them wrong. Which I tend to also do and say...'I told you so'!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts