Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys feel like you're pressured to be a certain way because of the stereotypes put on NF? Same with any S user, do you feel pressured to be a certain way because of the sterotypes of your type? I'm really specifically asking about Fs but Ts can tell me too! I really just want to know which type/cognitive function feels the most pressured to be a certain way for others/be accepted, even if it's just for themselves.

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
I think that among those who take typology very seriously, yet don't take the time to really learn about it, there's an expectation that I'll be a certain way. When I'm not, they'll either tell me I'm mistyped or they will try to describe my behavior in terms of their understanding of theory. I have seen others adapting themselves to stereotypes though. I try to be careful not to do that myself.

·
Banned
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Stephen: yeah totally that's what we SHOULD all do. haha but I think that the less someone knows about the certain types or the details of the beliefs the more they would stereotype because they just read into the way they just learned the over view of the theories, which I'm honestly guilty of doing myself.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
I've often felt pressured to be a type other than the one I am, even before I knew about the MBTI, but since learning that I'm an INFJ, I've only felt a kind of relief. It used to seem as though maybe I was broken or something, as though society in general expected me to be an ESTJ/P, and since I obviously am not, something had to be wrong with me, right?

I don't get into the typology debates around here. I don't particularly care one way or another whether anyone else thinks I'm an INFJ or not, and I'm not going to bully someone whom behaves differently than myself but identifies as another INFJ anyway. For one thing, a lot of people who get elitist about their type don't take enneagrams into account. A type 4 INFJ is going to be distinctly different from myself, a 9. Even a 9w8's going to be different than me, a 9w1.

For another, it's really no one else's business how you ID yourself unless you ask for it to be. People should really learn to be more respectful of each other. *shrug* I'll end my rant at that.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've often felt pressured to be a type other than the one I am, even before I knew about the MBTI, but since learning that I'm an INFJ, I've only felt a kind of relief. It used to seem as though maybe I was broken or something, as though society in general expected me to be an ESTJ/P, and since I obviously am not, something had to be wrong with me, right?
-----That was my experience, too.
I don't get into the typology debates around here. I don't particularly care one way or another whether anyone else thinks I'm an INFJ or not, and I'm not going to bully someone whom behaves differently than myself but identifies as another INFJ anyway. For one thing, a lot of people who get elitist about their type don't take enneagrams into account. A type 4 INFJ is going to be distinctly different from myself, a 9. Even a 9w8's going to be different than me, a 9w1.
-----Do you mean you've had people call you out or something? For being a peacemaker (Type-9)? What do they say, "Hey buddy, you're just too damn accommodating and kind and calming, time for a beat down!"?
-----I'm a Type-9 INFP, so I can kind of come off Fe. I know some Type-4 INFJs, and they can come off kind of Fi. But there is a wide range of type behavior, and I think I often see some people coming at it from both extremes, either that MBTI doesn't mean anything, or that unless someone corresponds exactly with what their conception of a particular type is that person must not be that type. Both positions miss the point of personality type--it's flexible enough that there is a 65-75% correlation of the traits associated with type and a person types as that type (so there's room for difference), but it is specific enough that the traits identified mean something significant.
-----Supposedly the mistyping that occurs as to the four letters is still over 75% likely to be in the same core personality type, so it seems like you're talking about NF on NF crime if people are getting bullied. Since depending on the study, we are somewhere between 4% and 12.5% of the population, can we really afford to be cruel to each other? Since you are a Type-9 (I'm a Type-9, too), I can guess your answer (though it's still just a guess). : )
For another, it's really no one else's business how you ID yourself unless you ask for it to be. People should really learn to be more respectful of each other. *shrug* I'll end my rant at that.
-----I think a fundamental question is always, "What does it mean to be x type?" For me, "What does it mean to be INFP?" It's a personal journey, but, like you say, sometimes there are still casualties.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
I don't take MBTI outside of the forums, so no i don't feel any pressure in that regard. Here, nah, i think NF are generally admired by basically everyone. And those who say they don't are only fooling themselves, grins*

·
Banned
2,728 Posts
Do you guys feel like you're pressured to be a certain way because of the stereotypes put on NF? Same with any S user, do you feel pressured to be a certain way because of the sterotypes of your type? I'm really specifically asking about Fs but Ts can tell me too! I really just want to know which type/cognitive function feels the most pressured to be a certain way for others/be accepted, even if it's just for themselves.
Sure, my NF temperament seems effeminate coming from a male. Myers-Briggs only goes so far in describing human behavior accurately. Many people value developing the many sides to their personality but it's not always an easy task. For instance, I feel very insecure around over-bearing, macho, or emasculating types who are over-competitive and image-conscious. The reason for this is mainly because I cannot relate, or don't feel inclined to conform to that behavior. I'm perfectly content being a masculine nurturer in my own family and friend circles, but outside of that, yes, it can be difficult.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
-----Do you mean you've had people call you out or something? For being a peacemaker (Type-9)? What do they say, "Hey buddy, you're just too damn accommodating and kind and calming, time for a beat down!"?
To me, personally, no. But I've seen elitism on these forums. I've seen people go out of their way to declare someone else isn't x-type because they "said something that way instead of this way" or they "looked in the wrong direction on the video" or they sneezed when they should've coughed or whatever other silly nonsense it is they claim.

And how many times does someone mention in a post that "x-percent of people in this forum are mistyped", as if they have any real idea or authority to say that? This especially I see in the INFJ forum, where people have this inane idea that they should be exceptionally rare, unique little flowers. Why are there so many INFJs on the forums? Because it's the internet, and there's a disproportionate amount of introverts. Not to mention that those who feel outcast from society will gravitate to places such as this where they are hoping to finally be accepted.

I'm sure several type 4 INFJs have thought me to be something other than INFJ because I'm a laid back 9. I'm non-confrontational (especially in comparison to some of them), and I probably appear to be an Fe-dom because of my need to keep harmony and peace within a group. *shrug*

Anyway, I could rant about this til the cows come home, but I'll just leave it now as is. People don't need written permission, three forms of photo ID, and a state certified license to be whatever type it is they've decided they are. And if they happen to declare they are of your type, it does nothing to tarnish you being your type just because they... wear purple or whatever the hell gets under your skin. :eek:P

·
Registered
616 Posts
To me, personally, no. But I've seen elitism on these forums. I've seen people go out of their way to declare someone else isn't x-type because they "said something that way instead of this way" or they "looked in the wrong direction on the video" or they sneezed when they should've coughed or whatever other silly nonsense it is they claim.
And how many times does someone mention in a post that "x-percent of people in this forum are mistyped", as if they have any real idea or authority to say that? This especially I see in the INFJ forum, where people have this inane idea that they should be exceptionally rare, unique little flowers. Why are there so many INFJs on the forums? Because it's the internet, and there's a disproportionate amount of introverts. Not to mention that those who feel outcast from society will gravitate to places such as this where they are hoping to finally be accepted.
I'm sure several type 4 INFJs have thought me to be something other than INFJ because I'm a laid back 9. I'm non-confrontational (especially in comparison to some of them), and I probably appear to be an Fe-dom because of my need to keep harmony and peace within a group. *shrug*
Anyway, I could rant about this til the cows come home, but I'll just leave it now as is. People don't need written permission, three forms of photo ID, and a state certified license to be whatever type it is they've decided they are. And if they happen to declare they are of your type, it does nothing to tarnish you being your type just because they... wear purple or whatever the hell gets under your skin. :eek:P
-----That last paragraph cracked me up. You made great points. I can't speak to the INFJ experience, of course, but the rest of it I understand (and as to the INFJ experience I am now a little more informed).
-----It seems like you are talking more about passive-aggressive attacks. Okay, I have seen that. I don't think it's my INFPness, but I usually choose to disregard passive-aggressiveness. I see it as "if you can't say it clearly and directly, then why should I hear it?" It's pretty much how I survived childhood. There's too much aggressive-aggressiveness out there to lose any sleep over passive-aggressiveness. *sigh* But I know you're right that passive aggressiveness makes lots of people very uncomfortable, which isn't fair or nice.
-----Your comment about people who say, "x-percent of people in this forum are mistyped," reminded me of the following exchange on The Simpsons:
Newspaper Tour Guide: And each paper contains a certain percentage of recycled paper.
Lisa: What percentage is that?
Newspaper Tour Guide: Zero. What? Zero's a percent.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I don't take MBTI outside of the forums, so no i don't feel any pressure in that regard. Here, nah, i think NF are generally admired by basically everyone. And those who say they don't are only fooling themselves, grins*
This surely brightened up my perception of NFs, and me, an NF. Sometimes I get the sense many don't admire my NF qualities, or they are taken for granted and not as respected as NT qualities. In any case, thanks for an uplifting comment.

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
This surely brightened up my perception of NFs, and me, an NF. Sometimes I get the sense many don't admire my NF qualities, or they are taken for granted and not as respected as NT qualities. In any case, thanks for an uplifting comment.
I <3 NFs. I'm considering making a T-shirt. No, seriously.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I think we should be proud of what we're. After all, world is incomplete without one another.

Reactions: Geoffrey

·
Banned
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I <3 NFs. I'm considering making a T-shirt. No, seriously.
I wanted to quote both you and @MuChApArAdOx but I'm not sure how to double post haha,
thats my point though, high expectations, everyone loves them, everyone respects them. Doesn't that get stressful for you guys or you don't really care you just take what you have and love it! :) lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts