Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that I've had quite a few ENFP friends throughout my life; I've noticed a lot times my ENFP friends vs. my other friends would be like this:

most of my friendships would develop really really slowly; it would take forever to enter a dynamic where we would be calling/texting each other on a regular basis. They might be like "Hey, you're pretty cool. Lets hang out." and sometimes we'd hang out..... eventually, and sometimes, I'd just never hear from them again

But with ENFPs it's usually more like: "Hey, lets hang out, why don't stop by this afternoon?" and by the time I leave we've already made plans to do something within a week. The last ENFP I made friends with; I had only started texting her on a regular basis and she was inviting me all kinds of places and even stated, "I really enjoy your company!" I thought that was kinda cool.

I can see how starting relationships with people really fast could be an ENFP thing in a ways cuz of Ne (being constantly on the lookout and getting really excited about new possibilities, such as a new relationship) and Fi (quickly determine what you like or don't like, or what you consider good or bad, and acting accordingly)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I used to feel like I was friends with everyone I met and had the smallest connection with. We can really open up to others and have others open up to us in a genuine way that is rarer than... I guess we realized.

I also have been in situations where I met someone only for a few hours and they became a lifelong friend. We just connected and there was no building up or making sure we did things together in order to build the friendship. It was like, straight off the bat, our friendship was what it is now. So yeah, I can make friends quickly. :)

That said, I've kind of stopped making new friends as I really want to focus on the relationships I already have. I think with an ENFP, it's really easy to feel like you are close to us because it seems like we are sharing EVERYTHING... but I think it's tough to get close to us for an extended period of time. I have a lot of friends, fewer close friends, and some super-intensely-intimate close friends. Right now it's enough... but hey, it doesn't really bother me if you consider me one of your close friends! It makes me feel kind of warm and fuzzy! :)

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I definitely make acquaintances very quickly. Much like everyone else, I don't have very many close friends. I'm pretty warm and enthusiastic, and I have a way of making people feel really comfortable around me (so much so that people usually tell me they feel like they have known me forever, even if we'd only met an hour before). But, I mean, the charm doesn't always work on everyone. I can sense when someone has their guard up about me because I come across as too friendly. I usually try to tone it down a little so they can ease into it, and it generally works. But yeah, if I like someone 's company, I don't see why I can't just hang out with them or invite them to a social event. And if it turns out that we become good friends, all the better! :) :)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I do not reserve friendliness and kindness to friends only. I enjoy chatting with others and learning more about the people around me. Some of my best conversations have been with complete strangers in an elevator; people I will obviously never see again. So, to reflect what others say, it is very easy for me to make acquaintances.

Takes me much longer to develop a trusting, reciprocal relationship with others though. Anytime I rush a friendship, it always fizzles out badly later. I want to know the people that I have in my life will give to me and respect my decisions (as I will do the same for them). I want to know that no matter what distance and time separates us, they will still be there in some way.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I feel much the same as other's here have said. I make acquaintances easily, I know a lot of people. But I am only close friends with very few. I love people, getting to know people, and am genuinely interested in everyone I come across. I don't know if it is the time factor or what, but I don't have much of an interest in a lot of very close and deep relationships.

Maybe, if I didn't have such a large family of my own I would feel more inclined to have more close friends but I have the feeling I would still just be like I have always been. :)

I do love people, though.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Like a lot of other posters, I make acquaintances very swiftly. I'm very laid back and friendly unless you give me reasons not to be. The people I hang out with as buddies aren't necessarily my friends. They've all stood the test of time; a very important test indeed :).

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
yeah. Certain people tend to gravitate towards me so that's how I end up making friends. The other way is to get to know someone and find them interesting. then I'll want to be their friend.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I make friends with the right people really quickly. So I don't really have many friends because I'm so picky about who I'm friends with.
Yeah, this is kinda what I suspect of my ENFP friends too; I find they realized pretty quickly that I might've been one of the "right" people so they'd open up to me really quickly, but I've observed that weren't necessarily like that with everybody.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Yes i do. Although i think the word friend and its meaning isn't the same for everyone. For me a friend is someone who knows me well, has been in my home, knows my husband/ family etc. People relate to me as a friend when i don't think of them in that same regard. This is a weird concept for me honestly, people will treat me and talk with me as if i've know them forever after just meeting them. I guard myself for the most part, don't let people get close too fast. I could have a billion friends if i wanted too, i just don't have the emotional energy to invest my time with so many. I don't make a good friend for those who feel they know me better than they actually do. I distance myself away making myself look like a douch bag, i don't feel good about that either, but...that connection needs to go both ways, and some people just don't get that. I'm picky, if i connect it will be instantly and they won't be confused about that.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I've noticed that I've had quite a few ENFP friends throughout my life; I've noticed a lot times my ENFP friends vs. my other friends would be like this:

most of my friendships would develop really really slowly; it would take forever to enter a dynamic where we would be calling/texting each other on a regular basis. They might be like "Hey, you're pretty cool. Lets hang out." and sometimes we'd hang out..... eventually, and sometimes, I'd just never hear from them again

But with ENFPs it's usually more like: "Hey, lets hang out, why don't stop by this afternoon?" and by the time I leave we've already made plans to do something within a week. The last ENFP I made friends with; I had only started texting her on a regular basis and she was inviting me all kinds of places and even stated, "I really enjoy your company!" I thought that was kinda cool.

I can see how starting relationships with people really fast could be an ENFP thing in a ways cuz of Ne (being constantly on the lookout and getting really excited about new possibilities, such as a new relationship) and Fi (quickly determine what you like or don't like, or what you consider good or bad, and acting accordingly)
Ha! I don't think my Fi determines anything quickly, let alone a life long friend. A truly bad egg however, I can come up with that decision pretty quickly because it's obvious to me.

A true friend takes a really long time for me to develop. I like observing more. And I don't mind keeping people at acquaintance status either.

This is why I would never instigate seeing someone again right away. I need time to sort out my thoughts after experiences. Usually it is other people trying to pull me back out to do things.

I might instigate a first meeting with a new aquaintance "Let's hang out!". We might hang out after they've followed up on it. But after that, I'm pretty much gone for a huge breather, unless they need my help or support.

I usually like the ones that come back into my life after about three months and say "Hey let's do that again". We don't miss a beat when we are together again. If that pattern continues, they probably will end up a life long friend.

I think your ENFP friend must really trust you in a big way in order to want to hang out again so much and right away. She must think you really understand her.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wouldn't say I "make friends" that fast... but when a connection exists, I do tend to jump all over it. Sometimes this turns into a friendship, sometimes it's just a great day or two, and sometimes it really freaks people out and they run. So the relationships that happen? They are awesome. But just as often all my efforts to develop a deep relationship turn to naught. so it really depends on who you're talking to and what's going on in their life...

However, in the right situation, I can connect quickly and very deeply with people. Twice I've had guys think we had an earth shattering connection when for me it was just a good conversation. They felt that way because they apparently told me things they never tell anyone... I have a way of drawing people out.

With all of my close friends, I've had several 4-8 hour conversations that have cemented our relationships. My fiance and I probably didn't have a conversation that lasted under 2 hours for the first month we knew each other.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Being openly warm and friendly makes people feel close to me even if I don't necessarily feel close to them. I would say I have a lot of good acquaintances and only a couple of close, trusted friends if I'm honest.
Precisely. The world is hard enough as it is. If I can brighten up someone's day, regardless of how much I'm planning on being around them, I will. Sometimes people just need a bit of hope to keep on living. Every chance I get to be that hope, I take. However, few of those people ever end up becoming close friends. As optimistic as I can be I never try to delude myself. Most people don't see the world the way I do and those few that do I hold onto.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts