Votes: 9 13.0%
  • A little bit of both.

Votes: 51 73.9%
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was always wondering about this question for a while concerning INTJs. I know that there are people who love to spill out those obscure words to showcase their vocabulary and there are those who prefer to keep it simple in regards to their speech. I was wondering...what type of speech pattern do INTJs prefer on the forum?

For me, I prefer to keep things simple. Using fancy words just irritates people and confuses them to no end when it comes to an order. Keeping it straightforward helps ensure that my message has been relayed in a way that anybody could understand it.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I sometimes spill out words that other people think are obscure, when to me they're just part of my vocabulary. I don't do it to sound smart - it just happens. My family is chock full of NEEEERRRRRDDDSSS.

I mean, seriously, sometimes we resolve arguments by pulling out a dictionary or doing a Google search.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
I write the same exact way I speak.

My vocabulary in the act of speaking varies based on the audience, but never sinks below a general bar of proper, polite speech. I do not use slang, rarely contract my words unless using a euphemism, and I used to not curse (but after last summer I have changed).

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
I used to speak using larger words, then it was commented on and, as I was shy at the time, I changed the way I spoke. Now, I appreciate people who speak in simple terms about complex topics. If people use big words unnecessarily, or jargon no one but an expert can understand, I find it difficult to give them my time. I especially dislike overly complex words used in a debate (as someone did recently with me...). A lot of the time, people who use big words only do so to hide the fact they aren't really talking about anything.
(Of course, that's not always the case, but I still blank the big words and put on a 'filter' to get to the important information, if there is any.)

·
Registered
507 Posts
I simply use what works. Using more elaborate language can shorten the conversation significantly. It makes the whole thing much more neat and concise.

I don't care about impressing people with my vocabulary or something like that. If I can say it in a simple way I most certainly will.
This.

Compared to "normal" individuals I am sure I speak more fancifully than most. It is only out of need for efficiency and exactness.

·
Administrator
23,656 Posts
I tend to think that if you can't explain something in plain language then you aren't going to get your message across. The idea of talking is to communicate. Sure there are times when that one "fancy" word will come up and part of communication is for either party to ask WTF does that fancy word mean? If you/they can answer the definition for that word then you are communicating with each other.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Language is for communication, and simple words are easier to understand, so I usually use very simple speech. However, I also like using words that convey my meaning accurately, so sometimes I'll use more complex vocabulary to do so.

I also notice that my speech changes depending on who I am with. I spend a lot of time with children and people without much education, and my speech is simpler with them than it is with more intellectual people. I don't talk down to them - I just keep it simple. If I use a word that I can see confuses someone, I'll just rephrase, without making a big deal about it.

·
MOTM May 2014
7,026 Posts
Depends on who I'm speaking to and about the subject.

Technical language, both written and spoken, at work can become rather uninspiring, impersonal and tedious. Sometimes that spills over in other types of written communication, but not so much in my speech. English is not my native tounge, so I'll never be as good at English as I am (was) in Swedish.

We did the Stength Finder test at work a few years back and one if my strengths is apparently the ability to explain complex concept in a simple way. I suspect this is in part because I tend to use "simple' English due to mediocre vocabulary. Sometimes I stil find myself translating words internally, not finding a good translation and dumbing down my original thought in order to work around the communication issues.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I grew up in a family that valued reading and I think that that helped me to have a large vocabulary simply from exposure. I don't think that I use an ornate vocabulary around most people but no one shies away from calling me a walking dictionary and I'll get feedback at least once a week that I taught someone a new word when I thought I was using basic vocabulary.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Depends on who I'm speaking to and about the subject.

Technical language, both written and spoken, at work can become rather uninspiring, impersonal and tedious. Sometimes that spills over in other types of written communication, but not so much in my speech. English is not my native tounge, so I'll never be as good at English as I am (was) in Swedish.

We did the Stength Finder test at work a few years back and one if my strengths is apparently the ability to explain complex concept in a simple way. I suspect this is in part because I tend to use "simple' English due to mediocre vocabulary. Sometimes I stil find myself translating words internally, not finding a good translation and dumbing down my original thought in order to work around the communication issues.
I may have to recant my response to this thread after reading this! I forgot my privilege as a native English-speaker! :tongue:

·
Registered
25,970 Posts
A little bit of both, because I make up elaborate speech with very simple made up words.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
Rather poor answer choices, in my opinion.

I hate big words. I find people who use big words quite rude. And inconsiderate. Either intentionally rude and inconsiderate, or accidentally out of lack of intuition or something.

But I wouldn't call my speech simple at all. It's quite stilted, actually. I really, really like grammar, so I put effort into using grammatically-correct speech (at least when talking--not necessarily when typing). Which often draws attention to me, but I don't care. I love shoving it in other peoples' faces. Because grammatically-correct speech rocks.

And it is by no means basic-sounding. But rather it sounds a bit pretentious, I suppose.

^And if you notice, when I type online I very clearly prefer to make my sentences short and choppy. This is very different from when I write essays O.O. I make those sentences like 50 words long. Not even intentionally. It's just that my brain thinks differently when writing essays than it does when writing texts like this.

^also the goals are different. In essays the goal is the communicate a thought as poorly and drawn-out as possible so as to meet an arbitrary word-count requirement.

And here the goal is simply to spread ideas and information.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My cousin is an INTJ and we get along exceptionally well, but he's a very concise (meat and potatoes) type of communicator. So I try to steer clear of the elaborate explanations unless further clarification is requested from him. Others tend to let me ramble, and don't care to stop me if I 'go over their heads'.

That's one thing I like about J types, they demand clarity and that's one thing many P's fail in delivering.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Depends.

If I'm speaking with a intellectual, then my speech is fancy. If I'm having a casual conversation with a 'gangsta' from New York, I'll definitely tone down my speech. I won't adopt their manner of expression but I will make sure not to use words that may be beyond their understanding.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts