Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering. I always give my dog a steak on his birthday and without fail he ALWAYS looks up at me and wags his tail beofer he eats it...

I think they do... I'm in a debate with someone who thinks different.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
All I know is my cat used to bring me dead rodents all the time and look very proud of himself.

Maybe that's his way of showing loyalty (or perhaps appreciation) to the leader?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's not thinking, "Oh thanks, you're feeding me steak on my birthday." He's thinking, "Awesome, my pack leader is giving me first dibs on the food tonight."
still appreciation though, right? In his own doggy little way...

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All I know is my cat used to bring me dead rodents all the time and look very proud of himself.

Maybe that's his way of showing loyalty (or perhaps appreciation) to the leader?
Yeah, that's his way of saying thanks, but it IS a thanks, right? A cat thanks , but a thanks never the less ...

·
Registered
377 Posts
still appreciation though, right? In his own doggy little way...
I suppose. I think it might be a bit different for every animal.
I've given my horse peppermints (her favorite treat) on her birthday, and she's more concerned about how fast she can inhale them.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The guinea pig me and my ex used to have used to start wheeking whenever it heard the fridge open. She knew that if she wheeked, it would get a delicious treat, in her case, Belgian endive. She loved that, for some reason. Anyhow, animals are plenty smart when it comes to food, and will show behavior that makes humans more likely to give it. At my parent's pond, the carp were smart enough to recognize people by their footsteps. Worse, they knew whether it was me or my sis- I'd feed them, my sis wouldn't, and come to feeding place if it was me. Not bad for animals whose higher brain functions are in an area the size of a pinhead.

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Grunt
22,954 Posts
I gave my feral born cat (Nigel) smoked salmon on his birthday each year, first of all because I knew his birthday (1st Nov) and secondly because he makes these incredible attacking and pleasure noises (that make me giggle) and shakes it around like its a toy.

My dog was given to me around 8 months old....I think she may be April-May *shrug* I like giving her mashed potato every now and then because she makes squee noises too (that make me giggle).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts