Personality Cafe banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
While I find most reality tv to be pretty boring, I think there are a few exceptions to certain shows. I thought Project Runway was interesting, but I stopped at season four (I mainly watched for Austin Scarlett and Jay McCaroll). ABC's hidden camera series What Would You Do? is pretty entertaining to me-- it gives me hope that there are helpful people on this planet, even if most of the everyday heroes are from New Jersey(hidden cameras are usually set up in NJ). XD

·
Registered
15,648 Posts
I watch a lot of reality shows -- if these meet the definition: all of Anthony Bourdain's shows, Storage Wars, Hawaii Life, Hollywood Pawn, Extreme Homes, Pawn Stars, Counting Cars, Property Wars, Joan and Melissa. There's lots more.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I really dislike that I'm aware of who the Kardashians are. Like...seriously. They're taking up valuable brain space.

We all live vicariously from time to time through something - I do it through books or RPGs, so in that sense I understand why they exist. I think the coverage and the degree to which people talk about these things is pretty gross.

On the more practical side, it irritates me because it takes so little effort on the part of the programmers. They don't have to have any script writers or actors or even good camerawork. It's cheap to make and rakes in a lot of cash. So in that way, it feels a bit cheap.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I hate them, I find it unnecessarily time consuming. It's empty TV with dumb people. But that said, reality tv has the tendency to be my guilty pleasure. Despite how much I actually hate the shows, I sometimes end up watching them. Maybe it's the fascination of how different from me the people in the shows are.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I don't hate them, cause I've never watched them. I watched snippets of Jersey Shore on some react show and it looked horrifying D: I'm not sure if documentaries like My Strange Addictions (which is one of my strange addictions xD) are any better, but at least they're more interesting, in my opinion at least.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah I can't watch reality shows without shaking with rage. There's something about encouraging stupid people to act more stupid to entertain stupid people who think they're not stupid that really gets to me. I can't even watch overproduced documentaries without losing my shit and turning it off. I'm allergic to the bullshit the media are trying to spoonfeed us.

There are two types of show that are absolutely vile: talent shows, where they take natural talent and replace it with a markatable imitation; and shows like Jeremy Kyle, where disadvantaged and undereducated people are berated for being who they are by someone who either doesn't know or doesn't care about the sociological factors involved. They get humiliated, then walk away with a small sum of money. Excuse me while I vomit.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Oh god. I swear I can feel my braincells bursting one by one as I watch that sort of stuff. I can't even watch it to make fun of the people on those shows anymore - I just end up feeling this deep, unshakable sense of shame at the fact that I'm of the same genus as them.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I once tried watching keeping up with the kardashians and I just couldn't stand how bad it was. Honestly, i dont understand how people cannot see how overly dramatised and fake that show is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I must admit, I find it rather dull at best. At worse, it's predatory, upsetting exploitation.

The worst one I've ever seen is The Swan. Thank God it got canceled after it's first series.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
It's not that I hate them, it's just that i recognise that whoever is responsible for producing them needs to die in a fire

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
"Reality" shows are just entertainment-made shows under a different name. They are Fake shows and they are a real danger and poison to the intelligence of our societies.

Want a reality show? Try a documentary. Or even better. Go outside your front door and go for a walk.

·
Registered
10,977 Posts
I actually like them, though it depends from show to show obviously, and I know some of them are scripted to some degree. I like Ultimate Survival and Dual Survival. But I also like The Mole or Expedition Robinson or Peking Express in Belgium (they are like games on television).

41 - 54 of 54 Posts