Personality Cafe banner

Do You Have A Good Memory?

6K views 24 replies 25 participants last post by  Janna 
#1 ·
Despite what’s said about intps and tertiary Si, when it comes to knowing yourself, do you feel like you have a good or bad memory?

Especially in terms of not putting in a conscious effort to remember something, do you find it easy to recall things.

Reactions: Froody Blue Gem
#2 ·
My memory is better than average, I think, but it is more specific than it is comprehensive. It is also focused on a lot of useless details, like where every Hidden Block in Paper Mario 64 is even though it's about 10 years since I've played it. On the other hand, I don't remember where my keys are, and I returned home less than an hour ago. That being said, there can only be a few places that I've put them, and I will find out quickly the next time I'm heading out, but still...

#5 ·
I used to have an incredible memory. I never studied for exams, and never understood why anyone needed to study. I always won trivia games, because I knew things I didn't even know I knew, like sports figures from the 1930s (and I have no interest in sports).

It's still difficult for me to understand how anyone could "forget" a task or an appointment.

But now I'm in my 60s and my memory has become more like a normal person's I guess, i.e., not so good.

#21 ·
<<<<<<<-------------------take it frum a koon!
When I was younger I had a photographic memory; what ever I read, witnessed, was apart of , etc remembered all of it with crisp iota and I pissed off everyone when they would embellish or leave out details to something I , too had seen or been apart of and would 'correct' their account.........

Now I'm in my 60's and the pictures have gotten a little fuzzy - not quite in sharp focus - 'ole man dementia?'

#6 ·
When it comes to remembering facts, colours, statistics, numbers, etc, then above average.

When it comes to remembering things, such as names, then under average.

It depends on what it is I am remembering.

Reactions: Froody Blue Gem
#8 ·
I can pull a lot of paraphrased facts, lines of movies, etc. On some things it's like I have a photographic memory and I'll be able to tell somebody exactly how a conversation from months ago went word for word.

Now if I need to know something that is not inherently interesting to me, but like for work, I'll remember what I learned short-term really well, but if I go a while without using it, then have to review.

I don't remember names very well unless I try, or unless the person is particularly memorable, either by charm or discharm.

Any thing routine, like locking the door, I often won't remember doing it 5 seconds after doing it. So I'll often stop, turn around and walk back to check.

Yeah, the keys thing mentioned above. That's why for the last few years the keys go exactly the same place at the house or at the office.

#11 ·
My long-term memory is vivid. Sometimes I remember entire swaths of childhood before bed. My short-term memory, especially when I'm rushing around, is terrible. I tend to forget the smallest details, especially errands or obligations. It's out of sight, out of mind. Luckily, I learn quickly and often remember the underlying ideas, the big picture. I seek out the patterns in ideas, the underlying logic, but names, specifics, and so on, are lost on me. Often, though, after practicing something for long enough, even driving to a certain place, I will not need to recall anymore. It will become part of my muscle memory, natural. I do have the ability to immerse myself in a subject, blocking everything else out, so there's no distractions. By painstakingly learning, by obsessing, I pick ideas up pretty quickly. If I lose interest in those ideas, and don't practice them, then I usually forget them. Sometimes, however, after taking a mental break from certain ideas and returning to them again and again, I see them with fresh eyes. My perspective is heightened because I took a break.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
wait, whatd op ask again? jk

i dread the memory game called tidal treasures on lumosity bc i literally dont miss anything and it never ends. idk how far i can get bc i purposely start failing just to end it. in 4th grade my memory was tested professionally prior to being placed in the gifted program...it was high college level, like the last college lv there is before the next bracket. whatever that means.

#18 · (Edited)
Yeah, here is my "si": I built am encrypted 8 terabyte raidZ2 home server, complete with redundant offline backup,owncloud on it. Even has a battery and pfSense firewall, in case of power outage. Stores every important bit of information I need to remember: my own written documents, notes, lists, including videos, books and so on. I can use it anywhere I can get internet access including my phone, which I use to keep track of stuff ,so I do not forget :smug:

Ok, seriously tho:

I actually have crappy memory, but Si is not memory, you have it all wrong here.

Quote from Jung: The predominance of introverted sensation produces a definite type, which is characterized by certain peculiarities. It is an irrational type, because it is oriented amid the flux of events not by rational judgment but simply by what happens. Whereas the extraverted sensation type is guided by the intensity of objective influences, the introverted type is guided by the intensity of the subjective sensation excited by the objective stimulus. Obviously, therefore, no proportional relation exists between object and sensation, but one that is apparently quite unpredictable and arbitrary. What will make an impression and what will not can never be seen in advance, and from outside.

TLTR: it just means your subjective impression of external stimulus, for example the subjective experience of comfort. Its unrelated to memory.

Your bad memory is probably down to bad nutrition lack of exercise and being a night owl aka not sleeping enough.

I'd say I'm pretty average memory-wise, 5+ years of smoking cannabis regularly/semi-regularly probably hasn't helped though.
I bet fapping hasn't helped either.

#19 ·
Depends to the point where I simply make the differential between 'active' and 'passive' memory.

If it's long term, then I can usually remember the contents vividly so long as there's a specific trigger phrase or enough descriptors of the event.

Otherwise, no. And I do not bother to try actively re-imagining the past.

#22 ·
I am pretty good at memorizing a lot of info, and random things. It's an attribute of myself that people have often complimented me on. While I make concept connections "this reminds me of ___" and making connections, connecting to prior events that have happened plays a role too. If there's an upcoming event, people have relied on me to make a mental note of it. I can remember conversations with people from years back. Not really word for word, but I can remember certain sentences word for word, and key points. I can memorize things from shows, books that I'm into, and about what I'm studying in classes.

When it comes to real-life hard skills, that is an area that I'm not too good at memorizing, and takes me a while to learn. While I can remember a certain location, having significance, I'm not very good with verbalizing how to get there. When it comes to in-the-moment tasks, I can be a big scatterbrain too. It takes me a while to memorize new names in a group too.

#23 ·
I have the worst memory. I've never even smoked weed but I have a stoner's memory. In fact, my husband smoked weed constantly for years and his memory is much better than mine. As my depression has gotten worse I think it's made my memory worse. The more depressed/anxious I am the more I am prone to forget.

Reactions: School
#24 · (Edited)
Short- to midterm memory is kind of weak, to be honest, but my longterm memory is nuts, I think. I forget many more things than other people, but once the information is absorbed, it will stick for a long time. Not only does this apply to information, it even translates to episodic memory, as well. I can oftentimes recall past events in vivid detail years after they happened, even though general memory recollection, for me, is hazy at best.

I guess my brain favors quality over quantity when it comes to memory, so I might be biased because of memorizing selectively (and therefore in great clarity, thus overestimating my abilities), but I'd still say that I'm above average in terms of raw memory capacity. Or maybe I'm just full of shit, it's not like I can testdrive other people's brains to see for myself..

#25 ·
My memory isn't especially good, but what I do is a whole lot of documenting. I keep a journal and have for 33 years, and having done that has been very educational. I've had to admit that my memories are often not very accurate, and as a result I'm also quite skeptical of the accuracy of other people's memories.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.