Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IN_Js have said they find their Ni is highly visual. From this nature of our thinking tends to stem a strong fondness for aesthetics which can manifest in any number of ways.

For myself this feeds into a long time hobby of drawing and painting, a love for anime animation and styles, the art of capturing realism (Rembrandt, Vermeer), an affinity for ambient musical pieces, an interest in music theory and my habit of listening to a song on repeat to appreciate all of the elements, my knowledge of clothing coordination and how I dress myself as a means of self expression, a passive but long time interest in architecture and home design, time I spend admiring just all the environment details in video games or movies, a strong love for nature including the harmony of biology, my hobby of biking to relax [I could go on].

As an INTJ do you have a profound need for beauty in your life? How so?

(If an INFJ stumbles upon here you are of course more than welcome to share your own perspective)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love music, fashion, architecture and nature's beaty.. I love all forms of beaty (natural, human) and I personally think that it can relieve much of the suffering our everyday life poses to us or it can at east distract us from it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm close friends with an INTJ and we have a similar fondness and ideal for aesthetics. Most of our conversations actually revolve around this topic :laughing: We both appreciate beauty, fashion, movies, music, and I never really had a chance to share this same appreciation with other types.

But from my perspective, I think my INTJ friend's need for beauty in life is more reserved compared to how I need it. Although there is a possibility that she may just be less verbal about it.

[/COLOR]
For myself this feeds into a long time hobby of drawing and painting, a love for anime animation and styles, the art of capturing realism (Rembrandt, Vermeer), an affinity for ambient musical pieces, an interest in music theory and my habit of listening to a song on repeat to appreciate all of the elements, my knowledge of clothing coordination and how I dress myself as a means of self expression, a passive but long time interest in architecture and home design, time I spend admiring just all the environment details in video games or movies, a strong love for nature including the harmony of biology, my hobby of biking to relax [I could go on].
^ you've just described how the importance of aesthetics plays into my life right there. Sometimes, I would get lost just appreciating sceneries or landscapes 'til the tiniest detail and wonder why nobody seems to appreciate its beauty too.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
IN_Js have said they find their Ni is highly visual. From this nature of our thinking tends to stem a strong fondness for aesthetics which can manifest in any number of ways.

(If an INFJ stumbles upon here you are of course more than welcome to share your own perspective)
You could be me, writing that! :)

Reactions: catthatbarka

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think so. My concept of beauty might not be society's ideals though. I actually have trouble finding something beautiful because of my odd inner working, but having my senses captivated by beauty is definitely something significant to me. I'd say I continuously need, and am seeking, beauty in an indirect way.

Ah, hedonism...

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Absolutely

I have a very strong reaction to architecture and the whole urban planning angle. I love seeing paintings and prefer the more abstract ones. The photo reproduction type only moves me when the subject is human (facial closeup or upper body). Fashion is my outlet to mix colors, shapes, textures, and proportion.

Human body is also fascinating. It never fails to amaze me how male and female body can give out such opposite effect. I observe people and notice how aging process will shift a body into a new shape. Consequently, dance is my prefer exercise. The body in motion is the most beautiful to behold. I am often bothered by people who sit or walk with poor posture.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Most of the time, I am too absentminded and inattentive to look at paintings etc.
I do have a thing for Japanese art, though.

ETA: ... and Pre-Raphaelite art. ... and Classical Greek statues.

·
Banned
255 Posts
I have a strong need for beauty in my life. Beautiful home environment -- furnishings, artwork, the architecture itself, the surrounding trees and garden, a sense of flow and space amidst a high degree of functionality. I like beautiful cars, the night sky, getting out in 'nature'. I like to present well; I take good care of myself, have beautiful clothes, accessories etc. Even how my closet is arranged, with minimal things well spaced, is aesthetically driven. I also love elegance in non material things like an idea or a well worded line or a formula. I see the beauty in things without looking for it. Ugly things are almost as bad as dysfunctional things. Okay, possibly worse.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
Yes, not only do I crave to look at beautiful things, but I find that I understand better if I can actually see what I'm trying to understand. I guess you'd call that a visual learning style. I think it's mainly a part of Se, the mental pictures associated with Ni are probably products of both functions working together.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
You should see my backgrounds folder. Beautiful scenery that is absent of humans and usually some fantastical, out of place elements. I also appreciate nature taking over in abandoned places.

·
Registered
235 Posts
As I have gotten older, I've come to appreciate beauty in all of its forms.

For example, I currently live in a rural area, but I did not develope an appreciation of my surroundings until very recently. I've come to see the countryside as truly beautiful.

Of course, I like things that are aesthetically pretty. However, I hold the term "beauty" to mean something three-dimensional in appeal: have meaning as well as please the eye. In terms of people, I'm reluctant to call someone beautiful unless I see in them a truly exceptional soul. To me, THAT is beauty.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a strong passion for boudoir photography and a lot of my passion for that comes from the beauty I find in the female form

·
Registered
218 Posts

I have always liked drawing. I sometimes like to draw really "ugly" people. It's interesting. But beauty makes me cheerful though. Beautiful sceneries, architecture, art. Nature. I don't know if this is connected to being an INTJ, perhaps. Are you Dutch by the way?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have always liked drawing. I sometimes like to draw really "ugly" people. It's interesting. But beauty makes me cheerful though. Beautiful sceneries, architecture, art. Nature. I don't know if this is connected to being an INTJ, perhaps. Are you Dutch by the way?
I'm a British human and I'm half Swedish ^^;

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have conformed all of my happiness and sorrows into beauty already. Regardless to the state of the situation, even in vast suffering, I see beauty in it--even my own death. This naturally leads to a perception of optimism and extreme confidence, and then a return of happiness. I see it as one of the interpretations of Camus / Kafka (absurdity) and Dostoevsky / Nietzsche (overman).

There are certainly many tiers beyond that I've logged in my personal journey, but that is the first I've experienced. The rest may take off like an exponential curve, and sine wave (in repercussions upon accepting and adapting to belief systems). The hardest part in my experiences, and the few to come, is that your world will crash down upon you, and you may easily travel from the simple suicidal ideation we all know and love, to homicidal, as your moral compass will be shattered many times.

Then, the hardest part about this process is the organization of what's happening to your mind. I, naturally, wish to create a timeline of my mind. It's very challenging, when you're happy, to care about sharing what has made you happy--especially when it covers so much suffering. Do you revisit your suffering to course a journey, and inadvertently disrupt your own (ignorant?) happiness by systematically evaluating what made you happy? And we are known for tenacious integrity towards logic. All are merely ideas after all.

Edit: I've also recently acquired a strong affinity for Romanticism. From Thoreau and Emerson, to Rilke and Blok, Dickinson, or Lord Byron, to Shakespeare! So much awesomeness to derive and develop beauty!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts