Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if we have any similarities in our writing styles.

I know we have the tendency to use emoticons often.

My style of writing stays very gender neutral, that's why I have issues writing in gender specific languages. I tend to be very general in my writing to leave room for y'all to fit yourselves into it easier. I have a tendency to write writings usually addressed to the 3rd person to the 2nd instead, addressing y'all (the reader) as you/y'all/we instead of implying it with he/she/someone.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I guess you could say that I do. My writing style is actually pretty grounded in the way I used to write academic essays (which, thankfully, isn't the way that most people write them), just tweaked depending on the context. When I'm IM'ing, sure I'll use a lot of emoticons, but on the other side of things, I can go all-out faux-Victorian when I'm being facetious. Also, just like I'll make use of bad accents in speaking, I'll occasionally throw them out when I type. ("Think I'll have toim to take da dwawg out f'a wawlk and grab a cwawfee?")

Reactions: Danse Macabre

·
Registered
54 Posts
When I write I try to paint pictures with words. I describe everything too much :D I also use a lot of metaphors.
I've never thought about WHO i write to...
When I write about something I'm passionate about, some people find it very convincing. They say it's like hearing someone giving a speech. I guess it's because I write things as I think them and I speak as i think.

Reactions: ai.tran.75

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
To whom you speak, I know not, but--thoust thinks--mine own style of writing mayst be a tinge peculiar. Lo, I believe that thoust is fallacious in thoust's own reasoning, for mine writing is of normal rapport.

However, in general, I do not think I have too esoteric of a writing style. My vocabulary tends to be a bit different from the norm, but other than that, it's pretty normal, methinks.

Reactions: Nomenclature

·
Registered
627 Posts
Have you read my posts? Yah, peculiar is a nice way of putting it.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I guess you could say that I do. My writing style is actually pretty grounded in the way I used to write academic essays (which, thankfully, isn't the way that most people write them), just tweaked depending on the context. When I'm IM'ing, sure I'll use a lot of emoticons, but on the other side of things, I can go all-out faux-Victorian when I'm being facetious. Also, just like I'll make use of bad accents in speaking, I'll occasionally throw them out when I type. ("Think I'll have toim to take da dwawg out f'a wawlk and grab a cwawfee?")
This sounds just like me! Especially the faux-victorian and bad accents when typing xD My somewhat odd manner of speech is reflected in my writing. I just use words and phrases other people don't... "Jolly good!" "Well that's absolutely marvelous!" "Golly, is that the time?!" "Give me more time as I wish to relish my food!"...."Why yes thank you, I've had a SCRUMPTIOUS day!"

... that kind of thing. Heh. I think we use emoticons a lot because so much of what we say is said on our faces. If we don't use emoticons, then we feel like people are more likely to misunderstand us. ANd then maybe they'd get angry. And then we'd be sad =(

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I write how I talk, which isn't exactly proper english. Lots of "ionos" and "gonnas" and "gottas" and "gimmes" and etc.

I kinda write like this. I'm all like intellectually lazy about it and stuff.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I apparently have a very distinctive writing style, because on a different online forum on a "Guess the Member" thread I created, people are always able to guess the entries written by me very easily! :tongue:

As mentioned in the OP, I definitely overuse emoticons. XDDD One of the big (unfortunate) differences between communicating online to communicating IRL is that you can't see the person's facial expressions or hear their tone of voice, and so I try to make up for that online by using emoticons that accurately express what I'm feeling! I mean, just from a simple XD emoticon, there's a definite difference between saying "I hate you." and "I hate you. XD" The second one's obviously joking, but if you don't know the person well enough, the first one could be taken seriously.

The whole 2nd person/3rd person perspective thing that was mentioned is pretty interesting! o.o I too, tend to talk in 2nd person... even when I'm talking about something to someone one-on-one on IM - more than once I've had to explain to the person I was talking to that even when I said "you", I wasn't referring to them! XDDD;;

Hm... I also almost always use three periods (never more, but sometimes I'll use two) during typed pauses, depending on what I'm talking about I often use exclamation marks, and during IMs, if my last sentence in a message is supposed to end with a period, I just won't end it with any punctuation because that last period makes it feel too final and serious. :3

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
@etherealuntouaswithin this thread is for you.

But yeah, my teacher makes fun of me for "poor editor syndrome" because of my lengthy sentences. In fact, I fit so many clauses into a sentence to the point where a fellow student has said, "It sounds smart because I don't get it." Like I go on and on and on and don't quite know where to cut the sentence. :S For the most part, I tone it down on PerC, but it's REALLY obvious if you've ever read a formal essay that I've written.

It reminds me of this one thread that said, "You know you're an INTP when you can fit 6 commas in a sentence, and they're not for listing."

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,227 Posts
The interesting thing about my writing style is people read it as far more emotional then I intended. What's worse is I'm also told I write very "business-like" especially in emails. The result is a lot of other people misreading myself and getting emotional with me. In fact, I think the best description of it would be like a lawyer making a case...Which in MY case seems to be prosecution!

I think that's a function of a couple things. Yes, like Essay I've written a lot academically...Six years in university in business/psychology will do that to you. However, I also find the only times I really write to someone these days is when I do actually have a concern...Since text message/Facebook is so much easier for all the other friendly things.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I also keep very gender neutral or masculine. I can't seem to write females very well either. My stories are always slightly silly/humorous and then suddenly have a huge emotional bit that seems to surprise everyone.

·
World's biggest INTJ fangirl
2,314 Posts
On a forum, emails chat –whatever, I’ll write how I normally speak in real life (and yes, I use smileys and the like as a substitute for facial expressions).
In creative writing, I’m most comfortable writing in first person narrative. I take on different personas that way. I’ve been able to take on all kinds of types, from INFPs to ESTJs. However, I don’t much like writing from an ENFP’s perspective (too familiar and I feel it lacks creativity on my part) and I haven’t dared to step into the mind of an INTJ yet... seriously... it’s my Everest. I’ll get there one day... maybe...

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
On a forum, emails chat –whatever, I’ll write how I normally speak in real life (and yes, I use smileys and the like as a substitute for facial expressions).
In creative writing, I’m most comfortable writing in first person narrative. I take on different personas that way. I’ve been able to take on all kinds of types, from INFPs to ESTJs. However, I don’t much like writing from an ENFP’s perspective (too familiar and I feel it lacks creativity on my part) and I haven’t dared to step into the mind of an INTJ yet... seriously... it’s my Everest. I’ll get there one day... maybe...
What ever happened to that thread where you asked INTJs for tips for getting into our head-space... or at least as close as possible :p?

·
World's biggest INTJ fangirl
2,314 Posts
What ever happened to that thread where you asked INTJs for tips for getting into our head-space... or at least as close as possible :p?
Still working on it :D! (unfortunately I've got a lot of other projects I have to finish first). The character I was working on, the story wasn't from his point of view. So everything we know about him so far is through the eyes of other characters. Though he is shaping up to become a mighy fine piece of work. If I can pull that off successfully then I will advance myself to the next level and actually write from an INTJ point of view. :D!

In the meantime, I'm reading a book that was written by a confirmed INTJ and getting a grasp of his (very detailed/perfectly painted) writing style.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
i write how i speak - which is not always gramatically correct. i'm not lazy (in writing at least), and i'm not ignorant of the rules of grammar, i just find them confining.

sometimes grammar gets in the way of actually emphasizing what i want to emphasize or saying what i want to say. and often following it just feels so fake. i don't talk like that, why would i write like that?

my professors have gotten used to it. artistic expression, right? :)

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
In the meantime, I'm reading a book that was written by a confirmed INTJ and getting a grasp of his (very detailed/perfectly painted) writing style.
What book might I ask? Is this a book of a friend or a published work?

·
Banned
2,697 Posts
I write how I talk, which isn't exactly proper english. Lots of "ionos" and "gonnas" and "gottas" and "gimmes" and etc.
I'm the exact opposite. When anyone says these things, it drives me nuts. It's even worse seeing them written out. Blech. I think that it was the way I was raised and the schools I attended. People often laugh at my "properness" during online communication (via Facebook, AIM, and email).

While those "words" irk me, I try to simply ignore them, because I know that language is ever-evolving, and I must be open. I've become less of a grammar Nazi as I've aged, and I even force myself to end sentences in prepositions sometimes, because that's what people have come to understand the easiest.

Sometimes, my writing (in prose) can be confusing (I blame Ne), so I am usually trying to write shorter and more succinct sentences. I also use parentheses often in casual writing (obviously), and I use quotations to denote irony.

I don't use many emoticons at all, or explanation points unless they're needed. It drives me nuts when people use both obsessively. They lose their effect. Are you really shouting and smiling during everything you say?

When I write creatively, it is often avant-garde poetry. The style captures my thought-process well. And I use a lot of imagery.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm the exact opposite. When anyone says these things, it drives me nuts. It's even worse seeing them written out. Blech. I think that it was the way I was raised and the schools I attended. People often laugh at my "properness" during online communication (via Facebook, AIM, and email).

While those "words" irk me, I try to simply ignore them, because I know that language is ever-evolving, and I must be open. I've become less of a grammar Nazi as I've aged, and I even force myself to end sentences in prepositions sometimes, because that's what people have come to understand the easiest.

Sometimes, my writing (in prose) can be confusing (I blame Ne), so I am usually trying to write shorter and more succinct sentences. I also use parentheses often in casual writing (obviously), and I use quotations to denote irony.

I don't use many emoticons at all, or explanation points unless they're needed. It drives me nuts when people use both obsessively. They lose their effect. Are you really shouting and smiling during everything you say?

When I write creatively, it is often avant-garde poetry. The style captures my thought-process well. And I use a lot of imagery.
As far as your concern with ending sentences in prepositions, it is sometimes correct to do so! It all depends on whether or not the preposition adds anything to the sentence. For example, the sentence, "This is where I'm going to" is improper because "This is where I'm going" does the same job without the preposition "to." However, "This is who I'm going with" is proper because "This is who I'm going" has no actual meaning, making "with" necessary.

I understand what you mean by people pointing out your "properness" over IM. A lot of people found it odd that I typed in full sentences with generally correct grammar (I'm one of those "gonna/gotta" people. :tongue:), but the people I talk to regularly have become used to it.

Unlike a lot of people, it seems, I have no problem separating my "academic" voice with my spoken voice. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that I tend to slur words together and be fairly lazy in general when I speak, and I cannot get away with that when I write papers because it must be polished and correct.

My academic papers can be confusing. None of the "pre-writing exercises" I was taught during high school and Comp I/II have ever improved my writing. They just make me feel limited and constrained in the structure of my paper, which I absolutely hate, but that has the disadvantage of leaving my rough draft extremely scatterbrained, and that requires a lot of time for revising, editing, and proofreading of my paper--not to mention finding willing, competent people to revise my paper. I find the trade-off worth it because, in the long run, I save time by having every point I want to talk about down on paper in roughly the way I want to discuss it.

As for creative writing, I don't do a whole lot, but I usually like prose. Poems are fun, but that's only because I make them satirical or whimsical or silly. They do have a point, but I find the more "serious" poems to be too weighty and depressing, and that's what I reserve existentialist readings for!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
As far as your concern with ending sentences in prepositions, it is sometimes correct to do so! It all depends on whether or not the preposition adds anything to the sentence. For example, the sentence, "This is where I'm going to" is improper because "This is where I'm going" does the same job without the preposition "to." However, "This is who I'm going with" is proper because "This is who I'm going" has no actual meaning, making "with" necessary.
I believe the proper alternatives are "This is the place to which I am going." and "This is the person with whom I am going." respectively. I am fairly certain that there are no technically correct instances of use with the prepositions hanging off the sentence despite its popular use in vernacular. There's a reason that before we translate to other languages we have to 'fix' our own English sometimes.

Reactions: StandingTiger
1 - 20 of 27 Posts