Personality Cafe banner

What goals do you consider most important for your country in the long run?

• Maintaining the order of nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Giving the people more say in important government decisions

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Fighting rising process

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protecting freedom of speech

Votes: 8 44.4%
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Virtually all of the 4 choices are important in their own respects, but also incredibly dangerous as well and always make you think "... but at what expense?"

When I originally voted for this awhile back, I went with giving people more say in decisions, but I assumed too much in terms of people having a competent mind which takes into account their own feelings, but also others. In the end, it may result in a number of value clashes which is a problem in itself that compromises the "order of the nation" as you can never please everyone. Severe disagreements on serious issues can even lead to violent acts and quite possibly a civil war.

With that, and other things in mind, I think primary importance is to maintain a state of order. Naturally you can say that cruel dictators rule through that same general premise, but sometimes it's not about having the best plan, just that everyone is on board with it. Alternatively, you can have half-assed laws which basically please everyone to some extent, but often leads to important things being forgotten or ignored. In the end, there will always be victims, but it's about catering to the mass (depressing statement).

Anyways, my order.......
1st - Maintaining the order of nation;
2nd - Fighting rising process; (relates to above). Almost no one likes their gov, but if you can afford to eat, sleep, and get the odd luxury, then you'll still generally suffice.
3rd - Protecting freedom of speech." -- Sure you can say it, 9.99/10 it won't make a difference unless you can rally a significantly large group of people behind you (unlikelyyyyyyy). Regardless, it still gives people comfort to complain.
4th - Giving the people more say in important government decisions - From my own perspective I'd say "Sure, give me the whip and I'll fix a few things into shape," but I don't know if I trust Jack the Ripper down the street though. In the end, most people want to shed responsibility though, that's why we vote for people to do the work for us.

---
Hopefully that was within the range of what you were looking for. I think people can argue anything, so i'm sure there are holes in every argument.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.