Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm by heritage Chinese (well, more precisely, Cantonese), but I love all things Russian. It used to be Germans and Austrians, but lately I noticed that most of my favorite composers are Russian, and my favorite novelists are also Russian. Russian history also fascinates me, and one of my most immediate goals is to visit St. Petersburg and take lots of courses in Russian lit. I don't know where it comes from.

Reactions: userslon

·
Banned
5,815 Posts
Foreign cultures fascinate me, always have, but I wouldn't say there's just one overriding culture I'm most interested in. At various points I've been more into some than others. For instance, during early high school I listened to extreme metal a bit, so Northern European countries were definitely there. A few years ago I joined a forum designed for Asian-Americans, and learned a bit of Hmong, Loatian, Thai, and Chinese culture. And right now, I'm learning more about ancient Rome, Persia, and India than I ever have. Before that, it was the Islamic Golden Age, since it ties into my study of Arabic.

Medieval Europe, especially England and France, has always been constant. Right now I read things that make me think, "Gross. They did that?" but when I was younger you could not get me to stop thinking of knights or castles. A shame more Americans don't take toward learning about the world outside their bubble; I think it makes you more well-rounded and prepared to communicate with foreigners, or the other billions who share this planet. I've made many friends online just inquiring on a specific practice, or greeting them in a phrase from their language.

Reactions: Persephone

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I've always been fond of Ancient Egypt.
I'm part Cuban/ Catalunyian and I am the only member of the family who has bothered to study the culture.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've always loved studying and experiencing other cultures. (I'm even majoring in International Studies :) )
A lot of it started when I was kid. During the summer, I would check out books about other countries from the library and read them all summer. Since then, I've always had my sight set on living/going abroad. I'm kind of obsessed with Switzerland because my ancestors were Swiss.
I'll be studying abroad in England next year and I can't wait. I just love talking with foreigners and learning more about their cultures.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Well, I am a Filipino and I am interested with European stuff especially English, Irish, Spanish and Greek culture. I'm pretty much obsessed with their histories.

·
Registered
Introverted intuitive type
5,561 Posts
I like Japanese stuff. Except, technically, most of the stuff out of Japan that I like isn't really Japanese, like... well, anime, manga, samurais and ninjas, kanji, zen-Buddhism...

I like the French a lot, and England, and the Roman Empire, and the ancient Greeks a lot.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My family and I all immigrated from Italy when I was a baby and I have always been very interested in Italian culture and language. Even though I have no recollection of the country at all, I have always felt more drawn to it than to American culture, and actually even prefer speaking Italian over English. I love European cultures in general and find them really interesting, especially Italy and Greece.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Of coarse. I can't really narrow it down since about every culture has something unique and interesting about it, but If I had to choose it would probably be Japanese .

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Although I was born and raised in China, my parents were constantly not home and I was educated in an American school. But as much as I try, I cannot build an identity around either Chinese or American culture, which is why I think I'm so attached to a foreign culture that I probably idealize because it superficially suits my personality, not to mention I find, especially now that I'm in America, I find a cultural vacuum here. Maybe it's because America is a melting, and it's such a new country that a distinct national identity just doesn't really develop. As a third culture kid, however, I don't think I will ever feel comfortable in any culture.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Nope. XD

For me it's hard to define what's 'foreign' because my ethnicity is, by the various definitions I can think of, all over the place.

·
Registered
281 Posts
@Persephone I agree about America, I feel like there isn't really a definitive culture here. Whenever I go back to Italy I feel so immersed in culture, but here in America there's...nothing. I feel like just the "culture" itself is to become immersed in another country's culture and find other people who think similarly, and sub-cultures form.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts