Votes: 9 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 21.4%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask because I read on some INFP description page ages ago that apparently INFP's have a unique sense of fashion, but I've never known it to be true for myself. For Luna Lovegood of course but for me I just slap on whatever looks most comfortable and my sense of "what looks best" is usually a pretty arbitrary thing that I'll decide after a few seconds if given any specific time in my mind at all. As for a specific style to "express my individuality" which sounds really stereotypical, like INFP's need to express themselves however they can I also don't quite click with that idea. I can't really imagine dressing the same way every day and have no idea what clothes that reveal my personality would even look like. So, what are your preferences or thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
INFP
7,090 Posts
No, I don't really have a sense of fasion at all I think. I am affected by it, like most people, though a bit late, like after having seen so much people in some style all spring and summer I might start to get used to it and like it, just in time for it to be unfasionable again.

I sometimes dress a bit oddly, but I would not call it fasionable, not even uniquely fasionable, it is just a mix of trying to hide the flaws of my body, choosing things after what catches my eye, like a colour of pretty pattern, without considering if it will look good on, or if it fits with any of my other clothes, and various "rules" I have made up for myself(like when I was a teenager I could not wear most colours, not anything even slightly shinethrough, nothing with text or lable showing, nothing with picture that I didn't know the meaning of or which had some message or could be misinterpreted as having some message or be associated with some group to which I didn't belong, etc.etc.etc. which left me pretty much with old ladies-clothes, which I didn't even like the look of myself. I don't have as many rules now, but some).

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and various "rules" I have made up for myself(like when I was a teenager I could not wear most colours, not anything even slightly shinethrough, nothing with text or lable showing, nothing with picture that I didn't know the meaning of or which had some message or could be misinterpreted as having some message or be associated with some group to which I didn't belong, etc.etc.etc. which left me pretty much with old ladies-clothes, which I didn't even like the look of myself. I don't have as many rules now, but some).
Oh yeah that is actually one thing, I do hate wearing labels or brands or something that I don't relate to like I'm an advertisement or just wearing some thing that has nothing to do with me.

·
Registered
INFP(?) 9w1 sp/sx ♀
1,229 Posts
Comfort above fashion for me. I honestly just wear jeans, sneakers, t-shirts with my favorite musician on them, and the same hoodie every day (even when it's blistering hot outside and people think I'm weird for that, so does that count?). Maybe I'll wear a dress if it's a really special occasion. The only thing I wear for the sake of "individuality" is a bracelet of a key that says "Strength" because that is a very important quality to me (and it is a testament to everything I've overcome throughout my personal journey, especially since it was given to me as a gift by my therapist).

So I'll say no.

Reactions: attic and Adonnus

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I like fashion and makeup and do see it as an extension of my personality. It's also fun and creative. I like to take a mundane activity such as getting dressed and inject some imagination into it <---- that's my stock answer every time this topic arises.
I am a "mood dresser" and will almost create a look to embody a particular emotional state. I definitely do feel like I am in-character at times, but the character is always a piece of myself. I definitely respond to items as "me" or "not me" and feel uncomfortable if it is "not me".
So I don't consider myself unique as in "original" or looking absolutely like no one else ever, but I think I do have a personal sense of style. I like stuff that is a little quirky or funky. I take some risks and like for things to feel special. I pay attention a lot to harmony in color, texture, shape, proportion, etc. I may not wear something very special, but I also have a way of wearing things, so that I get a lot of positive feedback. People regard me as unique more than I really am.
I like novelty and variety a lot and may adopt some new trends if they suit me, but I am not driven by status.
I don't do any sub/counter-culture look either. I am not looking for social identity in my appearance. I don't have the consistency to abide by an aesthetic defined externally anyhow.
I very much craft a look as I go, or that's my preferred way. I don't like to put forethought into it. I want to do what feels right in the moment. My own internal response is generally what shapes my appearance then, not external expectations, which can sometimes cause me to be "inappropriate".
As I get older, I am more casual and simple than when I was younger, perhaps a little more boho (less cosmetics, less hair styling) because it's easy, haha. However, my emotional comfort is more important than physical comfort; I must at least feel like "me".
I also luxury and elegance and easily detect quality, both in material and design. Any snobbishness is not about status, but more about aesthetics for its own sake.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Kinda. The vast majority of my clothes are just kinda basic but there are a few clothes that I really like and I think they reflect my style. I just go based off of what I like so they might not match the trend, which can make my style seem unique.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Yes I definitely do. It's not really that I dress that weird but that I like to dress in more of a "fashion" way than most people I encounter. I enjoy finding pieces with character and then put them together in a way that feels uniquely me. Even if it's simple, it has to evoke something. I have bits from all kinds of styles; boho, rocker, girly, tomboy, western, glam, Victorian, seventies. What I put on each day depends on which "me" I want to represent. I try to find the right balance between costume-y and too normal; it does feel artistic. Though honestly, even normal clothes feel like a costume when you really think about it, like "2010's suburban young person" or whatever will probably one day be an archival "look". I try to remind myself of that when I start second guessing my instinct.

I probably dress kinda basic more often than not though just because I don't have anywhere to go really. Looking similar to others in the sense of, say we're all wearing jeans and a t-shirt, that doesn't bother me. But if everyone is wearing the same jeans then yeah, I will want to stand out. And once something I do not care for has become a trend then I will actually go out of my way to not resemble said look. But I am not so snobby as to reject all trends. If something I like is trendy, then I try to enjoy seeing it frequently.

I theorize that the "weird fashion" stereotype is more of an e4 thing. My mom is an INFP 9 and dresses in what she calls a "uniform" of dark plain-ish clothes. We say she's health goth. It's in part because of her uhh, voluptuous body, but I also think she doesn't like standing out much at all. While I do get uncomfortable with too much attention, it bothers me more to feel unlike myself in my clothing than to be starred at.

·
Registered
16,842 Posts
No. I like soft clothes. Oh crap, maybe just a little. I wear Hawaiian shirts a lot, flowered leggings and my last pair of shoes were Doc Martens flowered high top sneakers. I'm 57 years old and a bit like Frankie from the show Grace and Frankie. I relate to her more than Grace. I cut my own hair, have no idea how to cut hair and honestly, I just don't "care" any friggin more.

·
Registered
INFP
2,623 Posts
I'm usually slinging my jacket as a cape. :cool: I button it up near the neck so it doesn't fly away in the wind.
But it is so cool when the wind goes through my jacket! I believe I'm the only one in university to do so... and I stand out like a sore thumb. :laughing:

I also have gloves that I wear that are finger-less. Sometimes I double stack gloves so I can form gauntlets.

And when my hair gets long... I let my bed do my hair. :kitteh:
Sometimes it is makes me look anime, or it gives me a bad case of bed hair. :laughing: I used to have hair so long that it touched my shoulders, and I also sported full-on straight bangs. Like very straight. :shocked:

That is my knightly attire besides the hair do. :kitteh:

And rarely, when I want to scare people a little... I wear a fancy and long black coat that has a neck collar, and I replace my gloves with black leather ones, and the final piece is a black toque. It makes me look like a bank robber, and when I pull it over my face... I look like an assassin or hit man. I can see the shocked looks on their faces through my toque.. :laughing:

Otherwise I just wear basic stuff like a solid color shirt and jeans, or whatever fancy stuff my mother wants me to wear.

heh heh heh :kitteh:

·
Registered
319 Posts
I definitely see fashion as a form of self-expression. I have a very strong sense of when a piece of clothing feels like "me" and when it doesn't. In fact, it can often take me a very long time to buy clothes because I feel that everything I buy needs to match my inner radar of what feels "me." I don't care about trends and find them pointless. I will wear what I myself like. However, I don't think this leads to my style being that outlandish, though it may appear to be slightly unusual to some. For instance, there was a time when I wore something that was very vintage-like and was teased. My sense of style has evolved since. I still do like the vintage vibe but it has to be in a more muted, modernish form.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,403 Posts
I definitely do. My attire has always been a place for me to express my personal ideals and creativity. I have a great need to feel like I look like 'me' - like my outside matches my inner world as much as possible. While I'll never have gossamer wings and flowers blooming in my footsteps, I Can have long flowing hair and wear long twirly skirts and leather bodices, etc.

I think this may be related to enneagram - INFP 4s seem more likely to have a unique style valuing aesthetics over comfort - even the discomfort of too much attention may be outweighed by the need for personal expression, INFP 9s seem more interested in comfort and not drawing attention.

I like fashion and makeup and do see it as an extension of my personality.. . .

I definitely respond to items as "me" or "not me" and feel uncomfortable if it is "not me".

So I don't consider myself unique as in "original" or looking absolutely like no one else ever, but I think I do have a personal sense of style. . . . I pay attention a lot to harmony in color, texture, shape, proportion, etc. I may not wear something very special, but I also have a way of wearing things, so that I get a lot of positive feedback. People regard me as unique more than I really am. . . .

but I am not driven by status.. . . I am not looking for social identity in my appearance. I don't have the consistency to abide by an aesthetic defined externally anyhow.. . . . My own internal response is generally what shapes my appearance then, not external expectations, which can sometimes cause me to be "inappropriate".

. . . Any snobbishness is not about status, but more about aesthetics for its own sake.
I relate so much to what you said :)

·
MOTM January 2013
10,683 Posts
I think this may be related to enneagram - INFP 4s seem more likely to have a unique style valuing aesthetics over comfort - even the discomfort of too much attention may be outweighed by the need for personal expression, INFP 9s seem more interested in comfort and not drawing attention.
This is very interesting. Haven't really taken much stock in how the Enneagram affects how we wish to present ourselves or our attitudes to image. I often found more responses with how jungian type affects our style. But the 9 thing about not wanting to draw too much attention to oneself definitely fits those 9's i've known who wanted to keep a somewhat low profile, they were liked, were popular but did not necessarily stand out like a sore thumb but blended in a more low key, understated way rather than anything garish.

You'd have to get a full range sample of people and their types to get some real distinctions and patterns from type to type. That would be very interesting.

The 6 in me says that I want to go full on crazy, against the grain of what fashion rules are, only to get dressed up and feel like an idiot, so you end up later taking off a few accessories and keep an overall minimalist look with a few very eye catching things, these things stand out more when there is less elsewhere to distract from. Things have to look good together in all, the wrong earings can ruin a look or do injustice to the picture you were trying to create.

·
Registered
INFP 9w1
790 Posts
Not really. I always try to dress in a unique, expressive way... but to be honet what I'm really trying is to actually buy unique, expressive clothes as a first task. Usually I just wear whatever. But I do own nice clothes in general, so "whatever" tends to look good most of the time. And the uniqueness and expressiveness is an ongoing task, so maybe in 10 years I'll actually have enough clothes to regularily dress expressive. We will see!

But I also always go on a shopping spree for new basic shirts and stuff, so yea. :LOL:

·
Registered
16,842 Posts
...a bit like Frankie...
Let me elaborate, if I may do so --

...not only do I not have a sense of fashion,

but I have an anti-fashion sense.

And this is purely by my own design and doing.

I was kidding myself in the first post I made, in this thread.

Frankie (from Grace & Frankie) has a lot more fashion sense than I do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I like to wear clothes that evoke underground/indie rock culture like band shirts or vans shoes because that's where I'm from, but I always add something that evokes mainstream culture like a baseball cap or tracksuit bottoms. It's probably not unique but I'm yet to meet a guy from my cultural background that doesn't dress like a rocker. Also, what I wear is mostly black, white or grey clothes but I always have something that contrasts, like a shirt with a flashy colour or a motif that catches people's attention.

·
Registered
464 Posts
sure, i always try to send a message, tell a story.
being comfortable is very important (i never wear high heels) but the vision is even more.

i like matching the seemingly unmatchable, call it bitter-sweet. if i'm all sporty, or edgy and tough i'll definitely break it off with some feminine details. and if i'm all cute...well that rarely happens XD

currently i'm struggling hard with the fact that my culture is quite conservative, and in my age i should dress like a young adult woman, all serious and mature. this comes real hard, man. i look younger as it is, and though i'm not a rebel for the sake of it i just refuse to dress according to stupid norms of my small society, where all women look and act the same, mostly because the lack of imagination and some personal style.

i do like many looks and play with classics and various standard "stories", but some unexpecting detail just must stand out in any outfit, no matter how hard i try i can't fight it off lol.

p.s. kind reminder that femininity comes from your stance, and not the dress only :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts