Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, how do you cope with it? I'm not speaking of treatments, but ways in which you handle any given situation where your anxiety peaks. Whether it be PTSD or SAD, in what ways do you react to anxiety? For me, I completely withdraw inside myself, don't talk, and temporarily, "lose" my emotions. I feel safe when my emotions vanish; I feel like less of a target. I don't generally have any known nervous habits associated with my GAD/SAD, but there's probably something unconscious I do.

Reactions: dvnj22 and Halcyon

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
At times yes, especially during periods of uncertainty, when I overthink as a catastrophizer and experiencing transitional anxieties.

·
Referral Princess
1,386 Posts
Yep, unfortunately. It's hard to deal with at times, especially when you think it's going to be a normal day and then BAM anxiety surfaces for reasons you have to analyze about. I have been diagnosed this year: PTSD with displaying symptoms of OCD.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I do have severe S.A.D.. I've been working for over a year to handle it, but when i get anxious, i get super sweaty and nervous over the little things, which then leads to a insecurity-like feeling, which then sends me thinking that by getting nervous im making it worse... It gets to be a mess and will pop up in some situations but not in others and it usually involves things like dances, or talking to someone of the opposite sex that i regard as good looking. but it always ends where i get gunshy about interacting with anyone and just withdraw which ive noticed those outside my tiny social circle perceive as odd or a sign that im hiding something or something is wrong...

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
GAD would be the disorder I have.

Coping varies depending on what issue I'm having at the time. For example, in the midst of a panic attack, I'll surrender into the moment as I don't know of any other way to work around the issue. At other times, it may be easier to focus on something else as a distraction. At other times, responding with a "So what!" to a "What if?" thought can be a good strategy. Other times it can be useful to reflect and try to look back to shift my emotional state at that moment. Sometimes movement works better than thought.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I suppose i have SAD. (social, right?)

For years we thought i was just "Quirky."

Dont get me wrong... i'm quirky... but there were other things there too.

That being said... everyone i know has different reactions to when their anxiety gets really bad.

A girl i know starts projectile vomiting.

Not me.

First... i go ghost white and completely blank out. Once it gets to this point... i need to either:

Get away from Everyone. Being an extremely empathic INFJ... this is difficult as i have gotten "feelings" from people i knew in other countries before.

Find someone who can talk me down. So far... 2 people in my life have been able to do this. One doesnt talk to me anymore. (she got married and i suppose out of respect for the husband, has little to do with me)

if it keeps going...

Memory Loss.

It sucks. Supremely.

I sometimes have a nightmare where i am forced to do something, that i know will cause me to lose my memory to the point where i will lose everything i am, and never be myself again.

That sucks even more.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
Yes, I do, but I don't really want to talk about it, sorry :/

Reactions: Halcyon

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have OCD, and I am also a Highly Sensitive Person, which can produce anxiety under overstimulation.

Depending on what the situation calls for and what is available, I have a few coping mechanisms I've learned over the years...

- Closing my eyes and breathing deeply to shut out visual stimulation
- Doing the above, plus plugging my ears if the sound needs to be less stimulating too
- Drinking a lot of water
- Writing my feelings out on paper without trying to edit them- just writing whatever comes to mind, however I think of it first
- Writing lists of what I'm stressed or anxious about
- Writing very detailed lists for my day (i.e. 1:05 Walk to front door, 1:07 Get to car 1:09 Drive to store...etc) and checking off each one
- Shutting off artificial light and opening windows to let natural light in
- Sitting in a quiet, dark room to let myself "reset"
- Reading encouraging things that speak to whatever I am anxious about (I read Bible verses that I really love)
- Cleaning
- Going somewhere to get my mind off of things, preferably for a drive, on a walk or to a store where I won't have much interaction with others
- Taking a shower

When I keep my stimulation down, my OCD isn't as prominent. I think it actually stems from being a HSP. So doing things to reduce my stimulation actually helps my OCD significantly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I try writing down what is getting me anxious.

Breathing and closing my eyes.

Crying (not much, just let a few tears stream and then stop it. This applies even when I'm just plain mad or stressed, not only sad)

Auto-massages.

Shut myself down.

Nap (if I'm home)

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
As a child I had severe anxiety attacks - at night. My legs felt big as tree trunks and I felt as ifI were blowing up like a baloon, then suddenly go the other way - I could hardly breathe. This continued with decreasing frequency until I was about 15.
In extreme crises situation where I am not able/permitted to resolve, I have a trapped feeling - I know the origins, and can cope to a degree. It hasn't happened in about 20 years.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
I think I have bad anxiety, but I've never gone to be diagnosed or anything. Makes sense, perhaps, since I am always worried about anything being able to happen. I must have asked my ex if he would or wouldn't do this or that a billion times when we were dating just to make sure he wouldn't - "Would you ever sleep around on me?" "Would you ever not tell me how you were feeling?" And it's really hard for me NOT to do that because I know he and I don't have the same mind, ergo maybe he would do these things because that's who he is. I think what is wrong or right depends on the person. I could always have had faith that things wouldn't be led astray in accordance with my beliefs, but I didn't.

·
Banned
379 Posts
that "losing of emotions" is called detachment. there's a list of personality disorders for each type and detachment was listed for INFJ's. i definitely use detachment to deal with my emotions...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Detachment for me i dont recall being something i choose to do. It happens automatically when i absolutely need it and have no other options for survival.

If not... i can get into a wounded animal sort of phase where if people keep hurting me on an emotional level... i tend to verbally lash out... and it's never pretty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts