Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm genuinely curious about this one.

I often find myself having a discussion with someone in my head. It could be with myself, a person that doesn't exist, someone I have a relationship with, etc. Usually these discussions are about issues and I end up getting mad at the person (or myself) even though they didn't even do anything, because it's all in my head.

Does anyone else do this? I've only become recently aware of how often this happens.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
Never.

Reactions: Pressed Flowers

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
I can feel upset after I wake up from emotional events in dreams, but that's about it.

·
🎀
11,795 Posts
Well I can get mad at a person if I suddenly realize something bad about them but not because of the imaginary argument,it's more like I'm thinking about some situation and it reminds me of a person I don't like or have weird relationship with and then it can remind me of why I hate them because I think "I bet that asshole would do X in such situation,that's totally him" and it makes me upset,kinda.But I'm not sure if that's what you mean.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

I often find myself having a discussion with someone in my head. It could be with myself, a person that doesn't exist, someone I have a relationship with, etc. Usually these discussions are about issues and I end up getting mad at the person (or myself) even though they didn't even do anything, because it's all in my head.

Does anyone else do this? I've only become recently aware of how often this happens.
I've had debates and discussions with myself lots of times. Sometimes it's in the context of a fictional adventure I've dreamed up. Other times it may be over current events. Don't recall ever actually getting angry with the character I'm debating.

Something to be wary of is discussing or debating with the same imagined character over an extended period, like weeks. The character can develop into something like a real person who pops up unbiden to make comments about whatever. Had that happen once and, even though I liked the character, I poofed it.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

I know what you're talking about. It doesn't happen much when I'm generally occupied, but I do find myself sometimes getting angry at someone despite it being all in my had, and I have to remind myself that they never actually said any of that. Although as long as I remember telling that to myself, I find it to be a good way of revealing how I really feel about a certain topic.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I can feel upset after I wake up from emotional events in dreams, but that's about it.
dreams, but that's about it.[/QUOTE]

This. I remember dreaming my partner cheating and woke up being still mad about this... But it was kind of funny,when I told wtf is going on )))

·
Banned
17,781 Posts

#HeadCenterProblems

Reactions: Ik3

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have this really weird tendency to agree with myself. Like. All the time.

Reactions: imaphoenix

·
Registered
ENFP 6w7 694 I guess
1,540 Posts
I have had debates in my head where I imagined what my opponent would say, and I'd get annoyed because I disagreed with it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Even after all the discussions, confrontations and "tell-all"'s in my head. none of them ever upset me. They are more relieving than burdening.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Often, I'll find myself carrying on a simulated conversation with someone that goes bad and makes me really anxious and angry at that person; unless I catch myself doing it and do some contemplation on what might be making it do that.

As I get older, I recognize more and more that it never happens exactly how I fear it might- so I try hard to force myself to imagine the best possible outcomes instead-- sure, it won't happen exactly that way, either; but at least I feel better about that person.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I experience this often, it's mostly about people who I know. We do this to play situations through in our head to be better at the real confrontation. I don't think this is anything anxiety related, it is more about having a huge imagination and it may be a way of processing data. But I'm a gut type and not a head type, it's also not always there but sometimes. It may be Ti. I'm Ne-dominant.

·
Banned
7,396 Posts
Yes, when I reach a conclusion I'm not comfortable with that I (or the "other side" I guess) can't override with reason or even any actionable plan.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I do have internal conversations and discussions all the time. I call myself out on my logical fallacies, and it is neat, because then I won't make the same mistakes in real conversation. There are a few things that I really burn for, and I want to get people on board, but it is hard because it is a matter of uprooting comfort, convenience, deep habitual roots and just plain forcing people to grow new neuronal pathways. I practice conversations about this particulate topic in my head quite often, and not being able to convince the "brain dummie" can do my mood in.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts