Personality Cafe banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I had a huge problem with compliments in highschool, but now I've learned to react to them in a civil way. I like it when people say nice things about me and they mean it. Tell me I'm awesome and tell me that right now! :proud: Still, I usually have problems with compliments that I do not believe are true. Usually people tend to overestimate my intelligence and I feel very stupid when they do. I do not know what to say then, because I do not think I deserve the compliment and if I deny it, people will interpret it as a sleazy instance of false modesty and fishing for more.
You're AWESOME!!!

·
Banned
8 Posts
OMG! I SO do this. People sometimes compliment me, and I never stop bugging them to tell me WHY they think that, WHY they said it in that context, etc. I'll also say something about me others have complimented to my friend like this-
"I heard I'm smart. Do you think I'm smart?"
(INFP friend) "Of course I think you're smart."
(Me) "Why?"
"I don't know... You're just smart..."
"That's not good enough. Why?"
"You act smart."
"How so??"
"I don't know!"
"Why?"
"I TOLD YOU ALREADY!"
"WHY?!"
"AARGH I TOLD YOU!!"
"WHYYYY?! THERE HAS TO BE A REASON!!"
XD It drives all of my friends insane. I'll also question them incessantly about everything else.
(ENFP friend) "I think he likes me"
"Why do you think that?"
"He acts like it..."
"How? What does he do to act like it?"
"I don't know... He just... Acts like it..."
"HOW?!"
"I DON'T KNOW!"
"THEN WHY DO YOU THINK THAT!"
"I DON'T KNOW!"
"Why?"
"WHAT ARE YOU, MY FREAKING THERAPIST?!"

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Yea, I like to question things like that. But i have found, when I do people just get irritated so a lot of the time I just don't bother.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
my reaction to compliments:

O_O "uh...ok"

*shuffles away*

·
Registered
69 Posts
Growing up, I never liked receiving compliments, unless it was regarding some intellectual achievement or contribution. I often felt like I didn't deserve to receive a compliment. I attribute it to my parents and relatives pounding my self esteem into the ground for their pleasure.

Now, I realize that a lot compliments people give are a form of social lubricant. It gives us an excuse to talk to each other and get to know one another. Nowadays, I take compliments gladly, and I usually give one in return :happy:

·
Registered
5 Posts
YES. When I used to get compliments on stuff when I was younger I always thought that they were making fun of me or I was really humble and didn't wanna talk about it. I used to be really nerdy with glasses and did not care about my personal appearance but as I got older and got contacts and matured I began hearing people refer to me as cute. I had never been referred to as that before in my life and at first believed that the girl was just saying that for no reason. I also workout a lot and am in very good shape but when people compliment or ask me about my body I am always very "nahh I'm just in alright shape" or something along those lines.

I believe that through experience I have gotten better at taking in compliments and that it was much more difficult for me as a child to understand.

And no, I am not conceited and think that I am good-looking/fit. When this many people confirm it, it is basically fact and hence I KNOW these things. HAHA Damn my inner dark/arrogant INTP

21 - 26 of 26 Posts