Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking at different colleges to attend, and I have to admit, I'm going a little crazy. It's like I know that I need to make a decision, but it's almost like I'm scared to. What if I make a decision, and then I suddenly want to change my mind? Or what if I make a decision and regret it later on?

This isn't just with colleges...It's with pretty much everything. I always wait until the last minute to make my choices. It may not be ideal, but it definitely works. I'm trying to change this about myself, but honestly, I don't know how. How am I supposed to suppress my natural tendency to keep my options open? Closure and hard, fast decisions are a little frightening for me. I feel like if I make my choice, that's it. There's no going back. Once I'm locked into something, I'm stuck there forever. o_O I don't wanna be stuck, but I find myself putting off decision-making until I am forced into making one.

So what about you? Do you find yourself hesitant to make decisions out of fear or even just because of pure laziness?

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
No, not really. Well, my motivation is internalized so if I don't know what I want to achieve it's hard to decide as I feel that I don't have enough to make a decision with. But when I do feel that I have enough to make a decision I don't have much problem in making it as I know that I can change my decision/opinion down the road if it doesn't work out.

I don't really see how ISFPs generally are indecisive, unlike Ne-doms that have a conflicting Si as inferior, I'm fairly sure most ISFPs don't have problems making decisions as I only can see inferior Te as the only real opponent to Fi's decision making, but to me at least Te can give advice, but that doesn't mean that I will follow it.

This is how I imagine the Ne-dominant - Si-inferior internal conversation versus Fi-dominant - Te-inferior.
Ne: "I want to do everything!"
Si: "You can't."
Ne: "I can! I will be a lawyer, a veterinary, a ..."
Si: "Lawyer is 5 years. Veterinary is also 5 years, be realistic. We need to plan our future in detail."
Ne: "Uuh..... D:"

---

Fi: "I'm gonna be a famous artist!"
Te: "The odds of that happening isn't in your favor. You need a job with a monthly paycheck. Become a dentist, it's good pay."
Fi: "Fuck you Te, fuck you."
Te: "..."
Ni: "Excuse me Fi, how about graphic designer? It's a reliable job and you can have your artistry on the side! You do have to get a job sooner or later!"
Fi: "Now you're speaking my language. And a non-boring job to boot! I'm gonna be an artist!"

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Well... I'm not indecisive per say... But there are times where I make a decision and then later end up changing my mind. I have a hard time sticking with a major because I get so into a subject I think that's what I want to do, and then I get bored with it... So I move onto another subject that is so awesome, and then I get bored with it. :( I think I've figured out that if it's a career path that require me to be at a desk, it's just not going to work for me. Kind of limits me, but I've got an interest in something that's going to give me the freedom and creativity I want. :)

I will say making big decisions does scare the hell out of me sometimes, but it doesn't stop me from doing it! :)

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
No. Yes.... no. Yes? No?

I tried to make a funny. It depends on the subject I have to decide on.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
So what about you? Do you find yourself hesitant to make decisions out of fear or even just because of pure laziness?
This is a very good self observation. In practice, one probably would never be 100 percent sure what the exact cause of their indecisiveness was, as both are often in play.

I tend to counteract it in myself by remembering the 50-50-90 rule. All things are fifty-fifty. Either a thing will work out well or it won't. This is true even though the universe sets all likliehoods at ninety percent against you. Basically, in a given set of choices you'll be just fine in the long run if you go through with what you've started

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
That means that I'm doomed. :laughing:
Heh.

Oh, and on the conversation between Ne and Si, my experience is that Si never talks to Ne. It's the second function that has the arguments, like Ti generally tells my Ne that X is a crazy idea. Ne wins if it can tell Ti "better a bad plan followed well, than a good plan followed badly".

Si for me pops up as uncomfortable imagery about regrets concerning decisions a ways down the road. Occasionally, it acts as a form of a conscience too, but then it's arguing more with Fe than anything else.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am incredibly indecisive and flakey. I hate that about myself and I tend to annoy my friends and family quite a bit with my beat-around-the-bush behavior. I've been trying to work on this issue lately.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm so indecisive, it gets on some of my friend's nerves. I downloaded a magic 8-ball app on my phone XD I don't use it too much though, hah.

I didn't pick out my college until the middle of summer right before college was about to start. Things have turned out alright so far at my time here.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hmmmm, I'm terrible at making decisions, I'm HIGHLY indecisive, it's not even funny. Even big life decisions I may go back and forth with choices and just scream cause I'm so confused. I've pissed friends and family off with how indecisive I am LOL. I can make decisions, but it takes me a long time. i'm not lazy, I just overthink my options to the point of frustration and confusion LOL.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Having trouble making decisions? Story of my life. :bored: Take me forever to do the shopping. I tend to overanalyze things, however trivial they are. Guess I just wanna make sure I won't regret anything (and fortunately I often don't). I'm unsure whether it's the Jungian personality type or Libra-oriented. :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts