Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I played Tomb Raider in high school and beat it. I have thought video games were a waste of my precious time ever since... Am I alone on this?

·
Registered
113 Posts
If video games are a waste of precious time, then I've lost a king's ransom to them. I've spent the past month or so building up a city on a Minecraft server, but Minecraft's just the latest addiction. Garry's Mod, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Starcraft, older titles like Star Control II and XCOM, Super Smash Bros. Melee with my girlfriend...

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I used to when I was younger now I prefer just the Wii.

I really like Dance Dance Revolution as well xD

Reactions: PseudoSenator

·
Registered
146 Posts
Age of Empires III: Asian Dynasties & War Chiefs (online), DDR and KOTOR II

I also feel that videogames are a waste of time, yet fail to reduce my time playing them. I need strategy, so play AOE-III when I can't find opponents for go or Axis & Allies. Also when I'm really worn out.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If video games are a waste of precious time, then I've lost a king's ransom to them. I've spent the past month or so building up a city on a Minecraft server, but Minecraft's just the latest addiction. Garry's Mod, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Starcraft, older titles like Star Control II and XCOM, Super Smash Bros. Melee with my girlfriend...

I guess it's just me 0: I feel like it's a waste of time. I could be reading a really good book ...

Well! To each his own! :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I usually make programs that play the game for me.
So I am indirectly playing the game 24/7, and move on to the next game.

I've also began to regard life as a game,
so I'm now working on artificial intelligence that will play it for me.
I going to copy/paste the AI,
so my multiple "selves" are indirectly playing the game 24/7, and I can move on to the next game.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Play them all the time. Kind of a waste of time but at least it's an entertaining waste of time.

Reactions: akkadian

·
Registered
72 Posts
Waste of time you enjoy, is not wasted.

I mostly play Sims, World of Warcraft and occasionally Age of Empires. I don't have that many games, but I go nuts whenever I get a hold of my brothers' computers, because they've got all the games I used to play as a kid. Dungeon Keeper is a personal favourite.

Reactions: Jomama

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I like to game. The thing is, my job is essentially playing video games (I'm an options trader), so I prefer doing it for money rather than for free.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Fallout 3, Battlefield, Supcom. It is essentially a waste of time because nothing is really accomplished.
But, you don't have to be useful all the time.

Reactions: geGamedev

·
Banned
605 Posts
It all depends on what games you play, really. A lot of games actually help you improve yourself. They can help keep your mind active, your reflexes sharp, and for introverts they can be an additional social outlet. Education, self-expression, etc...

My career goal involves creating game worlds and the tools needed to aid that. I also read books. :tongue:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Agrees that the time's not wasted if you're enjoying yourself. "All work and no play makes this INTJ a VERY dull girl". ;-) Whether it's board games, cards, hanging with a friend, or playing video games, etc; any recreational activity could be construed as a fundamental "waste of time" because what is considered a constructive activity is subjective. I still immensely enjoy burying myself in varying esoteric topics to research.

I've been playing video games since the "good ol' days" of Atari. I tend to be more "monogamous" (LOL), however, and stick to one or two games for years on end. Over the past decade, I've enjoyed Deer Avenger (rofl), and Diablo 1 & 2. Over the past 5 years, it's been World of Warcraft, one or two Facebook apps and Eve Online.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Cool study about video games show that gamers make quicker and more accurate decisions.

Playing video games trains people to make faster decisions and gives them a heightened sense of their surroundings [...] Rochester researchers attribute the action gamers' faster decision making to a process called probabilistic inference. The brain continuously accumulates small pieces of visual or auditory information as a person surveys a scene, eventually gathering enough for the person to make what they perceive to be an accurate decision
Can't post a link to source because I have less than 10 posts, but google "video game decision study".

btw, I pwn noobs at tetris :D

·
Banned
1,105 Posts
I play them, and don't consider them a waste of time. Then again, I earned my degree at a school that specialized in game creation so perhaps I enjoy them a bit more knowing just how much work actually goes into their creation.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I do not see playing video games as leisure to be a waste of time at all, in fact quite the contrary.

Video games help stimulate your fine motor skills, reaction timing, and help you to optimize your strategic planning. Many people have even gone so far to say that playing video games has helped them survive in real life events ie avoiding accidents and escaping other potentially threatening situations.

Video gaming also helps many people unwind and release a lot of nervous tension. Say you have had a terrible day at work, I personally think that getting on your computer and unleashing fury onto some pixelated characters is much more healthy approach than unleashing it onto the public.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts