Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know intjs insights can be very difficult to describe,aynd rand,friedrich nietzsche,hariclitus all used metaphors in alot of there philosophies to convery there insights?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I try to speak "like a normal person" when explaining things, but if I straight up can't be understood, using metaphors and analogies is my go-to strategy. The thing with metaphors is that not a lot of people understand them, but if they did, it would be my first vessel of communication.

I feel like metaphors make things simple to understand, in general.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
I often have to translate my Ni "insights" to language. In my mind they exist as symbols with their own internal language. I have to translate that into English and then I have to find a way to convey that translation to someone else. Many times metaphors make this possible and easier for me. However, it's not like I go around using "like" and "as" all the time.

The problem with relating these INTJs to the average INTJ is that not all INTJs are philosophers, so the temperament of these people are going to be marked with their very inward and personal systems of logic regarding philosophical matters.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Personally, I tend to use metaphors only when the implied point cannot be conveyed by ordinary means. My mind can tend to think in images or associations between items.

When used, no qualms will be present and a certain sense of familiarity is perceived - metaphorically speaking has (personally) been an effective instrument to understanding implications on a deep level.

It is my belief that using metaphors on such a scale is one of the plethora of reasons why we are seen as insightful, and (if applied to mbti) intuitive. In other words, it's a natural mechanism.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Always the metaphors. Always. Mine typically take the form of old and obscure pop culture references. Always relevant to the topic at hand, but typically "dated" (I prefer to think of them as "seasoned").

Reactions: naren

·
Registered
11,426 Posts
So we all agree that is the easier way to translate our mind when we are having troubles to explain our ideas to the world .
i't say it's the . . . second-tier way of representing my mind. the first-tier would be just a straight statement, most times. then metaphor comes along as my second pass too, and i think this is something i do even when the only person i'm talknig to is myself. the metaphor is the consolidator, is what i would say. i't sthe thing that anchors and set the original thought.

as for whether it's the right way to translate my mind . . . i'm not sure as i've had mixed results. some people get it, others get it but need a processing lag. others get so distracted by the 'cleverness' of the metaphor that they miss the message itself, so that's one where it backfires on me. there's only so much you can do from your own side to facilitate communication iyam.

·
Registered
645 Posts
i't say it's the . . . second-tier way of representing my mind. the first-tier would be just a straight statement, most times. then metaphor comes along as my second pass too, and i think this is something i do even when the only person i'm talknig to is myself. the metaphor is the consolidator, is what i would say. i't sthe thing that anchors and set the original thought.

as for whether it's the right way to translate my mind . . . i'm not sure as i've had mixed results. some people get it, others get it but need a processing lag. others get so distracted by the 'cleverness' of the metaphor that they miss the message itself, so that's one where it backfires on me. there's only so much you can do from your own side to facilitate communication iyam.
Miss i undertand you so much , It's just a powefull tool that we are gonna to use it with context. I guess i'm just a stupid intj that use it for fun :(

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I prefer the straightforward approach. The metaphors come out if I feel like my thoughts aren't reaching whomever I'm speaking to. This is usually when I'm explaining a concept that I didn't come up with or dumbing down a complicated subject to make it more relatable.

Metaphors for feelings are reserved for close friends or really serious conversations.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I tend to make comparisons when trying to understand something, so that is also how I tend to explain something, especially when I can see that a straightforward description is not doing the job. Comparisons, symbols, metaphors.

"It's like" comes at the beginning of many of my sentences.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I use metaphors and comparisons a lot when trying to explain more challenging concepts to other people. But usually I try the direct approach first. I've also gotten better at judging who prefers metaphors/comparisons when I'm explaining things to them, so depending on who it is, I might just skip straight to that.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I will use metaphors if I have no other means of expressing myself clearly and effectively. Otherwise I prefer to use more direct examples to illustrate my point.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't want to use metaphors and similes as much as possible. However, I use them if the other party doesn't get what I'm saying. I do think INTJs prefer simplicity and will get frustrated if other people comes up with a scenario different from what the INTJ intended.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts