Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see this going on here, in various threads. I think people forget that we are individuals, and these are theories, not literal. It reminds me of astrological profiling. This forum isn't as bad as the INTJ forum.

Do you guys judge people based on their personality profile/type?
Do you think that is a form of prejudice? Why or Why not?

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
I think it can cross over into that, but I think that, on the whole, it makes it easier to see where someone is coming from. I've noticed that it's easier to reconcile a differing position that someone else takes if there's a marker that tells you "so and so has a different way of looking at the world than you do", so there's less judgement and unnecessarily harsh criticism that goes on as a result (of the person, not of the idea; no idea should be above criticism).

On the other hand, this understanding can certainly take on a negative, typist slant.

·
Registered
456 Posts
It's way more fun to try to predict how people will react based on their type than to judge them.

Bu honestly, 7 billion persons, 16 types.
You are going to see a shitload of variation between members of the same type. So, to judge them based on that label, that's ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I look at personality types after the fact to avoid any bias.

·
Nerf Herder
7,072 Posts
That would be almost as dumb as judging somebody based on their avatar

·
Banned
5,780 Posts
No

Depends on whether or not judgment is prejudicial. I would say that regardless of prejudice it's a flawed method of judging others.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I see this going on here, in various threads. I think people forget that we are individuals, and these are theories, not literal. It reminds me of astrological profiling. This forum isn't as bad as the INTJ forum.

Nah, it's all about people's actions.

Speculation seems to be an appropriate term for what I like to do. Even if I do know somebody's personality type, is it really my place to judge their traits, both conscious and unconscious, as anything but inherent?

Personally, I don't ever think it's okay to have a preconceived idea about somebody. IMO, everybody gets their own clean slate to screw up or make pretty.

It's fun to generalize and make jokes about types, but those aren't even close to official opinions for me.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I don't think I can type someone on the fly, but I find it useful to categorize behaviors because it allows me to help or explain things better to those I want to.

If I get the feeling "sensor" from someone, I usually will try to avoid certain jokes like plays on words, and instead go with more physical comedy, for example. If I'm with a feeler, I will often adjust phrasing to bring out the empathic bits of a discussion (or remove them entirely, if I think they're overloaded).

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
That would be almost as dumb as judging somebody based on their avatar
Yeah well, you hooded gun slingers would say that just to look cool.
;)

Reactions: liza_200 and Owfin

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
If they're idiots to begin with, finding out what their type is is just another thing to add to the list of "Oh, so that's why you're retarded".

"Oh, you're an ENFP? Not surprising considering how stupid you are"

·
Registered
899 Posts
If they're idiots to begin with, finding out what their type is is just another thing to add to the list of "Oh, so that's why you're retarded".

*is speechless by the chosen example*
:laughing:

*quietly thumbs up*

Reactions: Transcendence

·
Registered
386 Posts
I look at personality types after the fact to avoid any bias.
Similarly, I read this data after the post as well, and it can often times completely change the tone of the post for me. The following is an example:

So, on my initial reading of the post, I get the impression that it's hostile. But then I glance over and see that the poster is listed as an ENFJ, and I laugh out loud. The post suddenly becomes humorous to me instead of hostile. When an ENFJ says "idiots", "retarded", and "stupid", I attribute a lot less malicious intent than I would with some other types.

I'm merely demonstrating the impact someone's data over on the left might have on my reading of a post. There's no predictability to my system for applying this information, it's often spontaneous. I very much enjoy having this data there to shed a light from a new angle, or in a different hue. I would not use it to pass judgement, more of the reverse. The data over there is what I use to, well, I'm not sure what the term is for the opposite of "passing judgement"... but it's sort of like "exploring alternative viewpoints/intentions".

·
Registered
729 Posts
No. Because their type only gives you their personality functions, not their personality traits or their back-story and hobbies.

Reactions: Owfin

·
Registered
594 Posts
Personality types by themselves are not exactly a good thing to base your opinion on someone else (Ie, judging them).

There are "mature" ENFJs, and "manipulative" ENFJs, for example.

I myself have been suggested to be an ENFJ here on the forums more than once. Though I guarantee I'm an ENTJ.

The first person I've ever truly trusted was an ENFJ. When I met another one, I instantly gave her credibility. It was NOT a good idea. So personality types are interesting to get a GENERAL idea of what the person is like, but not definite opinions.

Everyone's different. You never really know what goes on behind someone's actions, what they TRUE motivations are, unless you are that very person (in some situations, not even the doer knows the reason s/he's doing something).

So: I don't judge people solely on personality types. They DO help, but in the end, they are just 4 letters.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Human nature, ignorance, disinterest, and intolerance lead to many types of judgments, discrimination, and prejudices and as long as people are selfishly spoiled with a lack of enforcement to defeat the inconsistencies of such beliefs, they will continue to discriminate & judge others.

Welcome to the selfish, intolerant world we call earth.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
For me, it's definitely a big no. Stereotypes exist in all the types. It depends on the individual and on the circumstances, and on that's person's mentality and the whole birth chart on why that person behaves like that, not only on the type. MBTI is just partly responsible.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts