Personality Cafe banner

Do you personally know someone who has been killed?

• Homicide, Murder, Via Gun, Knife, or other weapon

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • Terrorist Attack -of any kind

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Mass Attack -on crowds, such as school shooting, concerts, movie theaters, etc...

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Accidental, Unintentional, Manslaughter, Self-defense

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Suicide

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • Other -Please explain

Votes: 3 7.5%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you have a relative, friend, or an acquaintance that has been killed?

Whether in a homicide/murder, accident (such as drunk driver), terrorist attack, suicide, or any other unexpected death?

(I'm not referring to illness, old age, or a death related to natural causes)

****READERS PLEASE BE AWARE BEFORE LOOKING OVER ANY POSTS****
**IF YOU HAVE TRIGGERS SOME STORIES MIGHT BE GRAPHIC OR EXPLICIT**

·
Banned
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I have had a few people I knew personally that have been killed, so I was wondering if others have as well.

My uncle was burned alive in his car with his hands tied to the steering wheel. He was dating a girl from a different race in the early 80's. Crime was never solved.

My cousin was hit by a car when getting off her school bus.

My dad's boss was shot, dismembered, & stuffed in a freezer by his ex-mistress. She was convicted, & is serving jail time. A real life, "Fatal Attraction" case. :crazy: Everyone was really disturbed when we found out what happened.

A family friend was shot & killed in Mexico, but his case is unsolved. It was thought to be either a theft, or cartel related.

My sister-in-law died of an over-dose, a prescription narcotic, mixed with wine, her 3 kids were still little when it happened, it was really sad.

Of course there's been more, but those are either a friend of a friend, or a friend of a relative, so I didn't know them personally.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
My cousin died of an overdose at the age of 25. His mother, my aunt, found him (and she has never been the same again). I don't know if it was a suicide or an accident, it's something that we never discussed.

I don't know if this counts, but my friend died in a car accident. She had to swerve to avoid a child running onto the road and the result was her crashing fatally instead.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
It was an acquaintance to somebody that was punched, hit their head on the curb, and died. It happened in the bar district of a major American city with a ton of witnesses.

It was clearly manslaughter, but it took I believe 8 years for the person that threw the punch to have charges brought because of the clout and political ties this individual had.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
A classmate was drafted and died in combat in Vietnam. He was Prince Charming in the school play and got the fair maiden. A promising young man, life did not work out favorably. He did receive the CMH, however (coffin w/metal handles). He was eighteen or nineteen when he died.

I worked as a LRRP when in the military. LRRP’s are a five man team sneaking around collecting information about the enemy. My platoon leader, a young Second Lieutenant, was the best Officer I had ever worked for. A West Point grad, normally a rather aloof bunch, my L.T. was down to earth and very good with his men. He was ordered to Vietnam. He had been warned not to try and rescue his men when they were in contact with the enemy. A team got in trouble, he went out in a rescue helicopter to get a wounded man. The helicopter crashed and all involved died. I still feel that loss.

When I was fourteen or fifteen, my best friend’s youngest sister was killed by a drunk driver. She was the front seat passenger in a car that was struck head on. She went into the windshield and sustained brain damage from which she never recovered. The gravity of the accident didn’t sink in until we were called to the police station. We were spoken to by detectives, who were treating the accident as a murder even though the girl still lived. When I saw her body at the funeral home I noticed she was turning green at the top of her right jaw line, and behind and below her right ear. She was a beautiful blonde, all of thirteen or fourteen years old.

I had two employees who blew their brains out with .357 magnum revolvers. One was playing a local version of Russian roulette, the other slipped on a ladder and fell only a foot or two to the ground. It was the straw that broke the camels back. He went into the office, locked the door and shot himself. We were operating in a high stress environment and people have a limit to what they can endure.

A co-worker had a mortar round drop almost directly on top of him. He was wrapped in a towel as he walked to a shower point. The mortar was fired by terrorists in the Middle East. He had one assignment left before retirement. He got his name inscribed on a wall instead.

Another co-worker was shot by his son on a hunting trip. Initially thought an accident, it later appeared to be a murder.

Still another co-worker died from faulty medical care. He had a tissue sample taken from his lung for a biopsy after an x-ray indicated possible cancer. The bandage sealing his chest penetration failed and he was unable to breathe. His brand new wife was not an English speaker and was unable to call for help. He suffocated in a hotel room.

My brother’s death is the one that sticks with me. He was 19 when he was killed in Korea in July 1950. I believe it was the third week of the war. I had turned three a month before. I recall the telegram arriving, my mother’s scream, her calling for my father and then pandemonium. My father became a madman. After that life became very hard. I can still hear and see my mother screaming.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
There was another death I want to mention. This sticks in my memory and speaks to the ways of the world.

A male co-worker had 5 or 6 sons. The youngest, around 13 or 14, got up very early early in the morning to deliver newspapers. The boy did not return from working his paper route. His father and brothers searched along the route and found the brother dead. He had been killed by a man he delivered a paper to.

The boy had been strangled with an electrical cord, and the body had been hidden in the attic under insulation.

I didn’t know the boy but I worked with the father daily. I saw a family destroyed after life, love, hope and future had been stolen from it.

I suspect the boy had been sexually assaulted.

There is the world for you.

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
Can only think of three people at the moment.

A kid I went to high school with was shot and died when some guys tried to rob his house. We had English together in 6th grade.

My brothers ex girlfriend's brother committed suicide in his parent's basement. He sat next to me and we chatted in gym class occasionally.

A friend in my friend group was murdered by a guy I dated briefly when I was 18. I dated him for maybe 2 months and broke up with him (because I'm gay). He tried to sleep with this girl when they were drunk alone one night and she didn't want to. He raped her, strangled her, then stabbed her in the neck. Dumped her body in the woods near where we all used to drink and hang out. He confessed and led police to her body a week later.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Several suicides in the family.

One was accidental: he was driving in the rain and in order to not hit a cat in the street and at the last minute he swerved and drove into a wall; I'm not sure if he knew in the last moment it would cost his life.

·
Sharp Cutting Thing
9,675 Posts
One of my high school acquaintances was killed by some hooligans after a baseball game. The thing that always got me was the senselessness of it ... the dude was like 22 or 23 when he died.

Reactions: Mmmm

·
Registered
617 Posts
My mother's second husband overdosed on amphetamines. A few years later, my mother's boyfriend was stabbed to death while he slept. The perpetrator was a lodger.

My best friend shot himself after finding his girlfriend in bed with a neighbour. He was 25. In the same year, a workmate shot himself after his ex-wife refused him visitation rights for their daughter. He was also 25.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I can go through my facebook page and there are plenty "friends" that are now dead.
Someone I went to school with has been missing since 2014.
2 guys I went to school with hung themselves this year from mental health issues - both 26.
An ex of mine died in a motorcycle accident.
My childhood's best friends sister was in a car accident due to a drunk driver.

As for actual murder - my cousins friend was stabbed and died for drug money.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Suicide is sadly a quite common phenomenon, especially in my field. I knew two people personally.

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
Idk if it counts but my dad killed himself via life long alcoholism. We tried to get him to quit but near the end he said he didn't want to live anymore (after divorcing his second wife and losing their house) he lived alone in a small apartment and never saw anyone except his mentally handicapped twin brother and a few of his loser friends. Id wanna kms too tbh.

Also if overdoses count then a girl I grew up with who lived next door to me as a kid died of a heroin overdose this past year. My cousin also overdosed and died two years ago from heroin and alcohol. Aaand a friend of mine that I hung out with when I was homeless overdosed from crack and heroin in 2015. And also another guy I knew /would hangout with him and his wife, he overdosed from pills and crack and they dumped his body behind a building. She went to jail for that. Improper disposal of a human body and something else was the charge. A girl I went to jail with/was bunkies with overdosed from meth 2 years ago. Lastly my brother's friend from high school died from an overdose a few years ago. 2012 might have been.

I think that's it

Edit: an older black gentleman I befriended a couple years ago died during hurricane Irma. He was an alcoholic and couldn't get to a store for liquor during the storm and had a seizure. Couldn't get medical care and he died. I met him at a pawn shop where I bought a guitar. I would go in and shoot the shit with him and the owner. We'd stand around this shitty old plaza and drink beer and chat with all the bums and crazies who came from the nearby jail and mental hospital. Just one of those random people you kind of get along with even though it doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
A school friend who was good friends with some classmates, was stabbed in Bruges by two people a few years ago. He died. One was released soon from prison, the other one fled to Chechnya. It became national headline news for a while, and my school was like for weeks on television.

Hunt for Bruges stabbing suspects continues

“Bruges stabbing suspect in Chechnya”

Judge frees Bruges killing suspect

People murdered him and they were never decently punished it. Our justice system summed in a nutshell. That's why i'm for a tough on crime approach (that cause victims).

This was also during the period i did a suicide attempt as well and was in hospital. I still know what his favourite song was:

I remember three other cases of weird deaths, like once:
- Someone was missed (of my age). The body was found in the river at +- 30 metres of my best friend's house. This was also national headline news. He was drunk and just felt into the river and drowned. A few months later while going out, we (my best friend and I) found in the same river someone else who was drunk, felt in the river and couldn't get out. We were able to call fire brigade, as we weren't able to pull him out. There were some other dudes there too. Missing student's body found in Heulebeek
- A girl died on a different school when i was still in a different school because of a bicycle accident. She was hit by a truck and died while cycling to school. This also became headline news, and was another time that my school (a different one) came in the news. On the same school, a girl also commited a suicide in the 6 months i was on that school.
- Someone i knew through other connections was also murdered in a love affair, and it also was headline news. She was of Russian descent, and was in the class of the daughter of a good friend of me. Murders actually don't happen that often, but the world is a very small one. Love triangle at basis of Kortrijk slayings

- One girl died on Father's Day while being in the car with her father who was also on my school (in the same year as me), on my first year in middle school. My mom always still go to the graveyard of her's on All Saints Day

___

No very close ones though.

·
Banned
15,562 Posts
My aunt and her three-year-old daughter were murdered. Aunt got stabbed multiple times (after they robbed her house and raped her), cousin got strangled.

I've had a few classmates who committed suicide.

·
Registered
629 Posts
A very good friend of my sister had a fight with his girlfriend on the way home from a party.
He threatened to kill himself by jumping off a bridge, then changed his mind but he slipped somehow and fell to his death anyways.
I wasnt very close to this guy, but I think about this a lot. What a pointless death.

Also sad to see how many people here knew people, who killed themselves...

·
Banned
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
My heart goes out to all of you, thank you for sharing your stories here. I didn't realize how many of us had such heartbreaking losses. :hug: I hope sharing our stories will bring comfort to those who are still in mourning, because they know they aren't alone. I found this scripture to be comforting: "And he (God) will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.” -Revelation 21:4

1 - 20 of 32 Posts