Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to gain an understanding of the Fe function and how it can manifest as a weak function in INTPs.

Do you notice that you care a lot about an animal you come across more than what is normal?

I noticed that I have a strange empathy for them, like Fe is showing.
In a typical Jungian fashion, I realized I project my self onto the animal, and view it as having emotions and thoughts similar to my own. Like I don't view the animal as its own entity, but I project myself onto it.

It would seem I am literally extroverting my feelings onto another object. Is this the elusive and hard to figure out Fe function?

Do you do this?

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
I only have a show of sympathy towards animals due to the fact that they have no choice in being used for the advantages of being used through out history. In modern times of used as a house pet, it is a gain towards the human for an act of companionship, and not necessarily the animal, because the animal did not choose it.

The relationship may be mutually beneficial, but the first interaction between a kitten / pup involves taking the animal from the first thing it has ever known (it's mother / group). Of course, there are different factors such as actively saving an animal from a life or death situation, or bad environmental one, but outside of that...

Otherwise, other animals such as mules / oxen / horses have been used as work animals / entertainment / food. Good thing they do not have the same type of brain that we do allowing understanding of human speech and a physical ability to speak or else... I doubt the words would be nice to hear.

So it's quite a situation of duality. While I feel sympathy towards animals, I accept Darwinism making us one of the top controllers of the world by using our brains and physical abilities, and that animals need to be controlled for population purposes and survival, including humans for the greater for livability of the planet.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm an animal nut. I love all of them. All of them with the exception of insects. Partly because in terms of numbers, this planet is theirs, and partly because they give me for lack of a better term, "the Heebee geebies." That said reptiles, mammals, birds, fish, I love `em all. I can connect and interact with them more easily than most people, and they make me calm. I don't know, I just like them.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
They're mostly despicable, but interesting to observe and study.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So do you think that projecting your emotions onto another living being is the description of Fe?

And the way the 4th function manifests as a weakness for INTPs is they don't realize they are doing it? Maybe INTPs think that is how everyone thinks? And not realize their outlook is different from people who don't have Fe in their top order?
And maybe in their quest for objective truth, Fe causes a bias that they aren't even aware is there?

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
I like animals. I don't interact with them, but I like them.

...except cats. Cats suck!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm an animal nut. I love all of them. All of them with the exception of insects. Partly because in terms of numbers, this planet is theirs, and partly because they give me for lack of a better term, "the Heebee geebies." That said reptiles, mammals, birds, fish, I love `em all. I can connect and interact with them more easily than most people, and they make me calm. I don't know, I just like them.
Same.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I find that I have a knee-jerk reaction of aggression toward animals.

Some kind of flaw in my character, I'm sure most would say.

I prefer to think of it as some sort of evolutionary relic, or throw-back, to our more predatory past. It makes me feel better about myself, and provides me with an explanation as to why animals don't like me.

·
Banned
802 Posts
Not overly excited but I feel for animals- poor sods. After watching this video I generally feel like wiping out all humanity is not enough (you can watch from 0:20)
Yeah I like animals but I am definitely not fond of cats- don't trust them.:tongue: Although I had cat once and loved that little fellow (sadly taken away in the death of the night bc my sisters are allergic- great parenting...)
I have a dog but he is just too demanding I tell U... My sister's pet but when it comes to taking care how can I be such a monster to refuse? Sigh...
Generally dislike my dog bc my family treats him better then me:dry:. I tried to train him but in the house filled with sentinels? I am horrible human being for even trying :p
I guess I have to know the pet or it has to be really cute to draw my attention:kitteh:

Reactions: Narcissus

·
MOTM July 2015
6,265 Posts
I actually tend to view them as independent entities and I rarely project my own states of mind onto them but it does happen sometimes.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Meh. I am a bit more empathetic towards them than towards humans, but the level of empathy I feel is still low.
They are capable of wrong doings, too, but nothing compared to what humans are capable of(even though we SHOULD have bigger brain, higher reason and empathy).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts