Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Do you like being needed?" felt too cheesy.

I assume most of you wouldn't like to be needed to the point of dealing with people who can't do anything for themselves or being depended on for things that don't make sense to you. Extremes like that aside, do you get any satisfaction from being needed or is it just kinda "meh"?

Reactions: QueenofEagles

·
Registered
50 Posts
Definitely, I like to feel needed and wanted. I get satisfaction from feeling important, feeling appreciated and when I help someone.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
People depending on me to do something for them? Yeah, sure, whatever.

People depending on me to do emotional crap? Yeah, no thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
"Do you like being needed?" felt too cheesy.

I assume most of you wouldn't like to be needed to the point of dealing with people who can't do anything for themselves or being depended on for things that don't make sense to you. Extremes like that aside, do you get any satisfaction from being needed or is it just kinda "meh"?
No I don't like it at all. Very much so "meh"-ish.
It just annoys me when people ask me to do stop what I'm doing and do something for them instead. I'm really lazy :/

·
Registered
266 Posts
So long as it doesn't interfere with my current action plan. I will go out of my way to work things in, even sacrifice some of my time, to fix problems or make things easier for the people I love. When it becomes a constant pull in the opposite direction, because people want me around or don't agree with what I'm doing, I become angry (it's time to regulate).

If I feel like someone "needs" me in the way that they would like to utilize my strengths and knowledge, or capacity for intensity - fuck yeah! Who doesn't want that? Mutual usury is important. I believe that people need to be properly used in order to feel satisfied and valuable.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
You know what... I've been asking myself this for a very long time. Finally, I realized what the answer is. I don't like to feel needed, however because I know I can fix people's problems very easily, I make myself available for them and even interfere in their life, to help them (my family that is), because I want them to be happy. That way, if they're happy, I can actually enjoy their company and I don't have to hear them complain non stop. So I guess in a way it's selfish, because I"m doing it for my benefit, BUT also I want them to be happy so it's a win win situation. However... it doesn't work because I can't fix people's personalities, even if I fix their problems temporarily so I gave up on that. But ya, I rather not feel needed, definitely.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I don't like feeling needed. I like feeling respected and appreciated to the point where someone knows that I can, and will help them out if required.

Feeling needed is when someone requires you around, and that's a miserable situation for me. Because then appreciation turns to obligation.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I like feeling needed by my wife. From everyone else, it's enough to feel appreciated and respected.
And as has been said, I hate clingy neediness, where people ask me to stop what I'm doing to help them do trivial stuff that they'd be better off learning how to cope with by themselves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts