Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite it probably not being common among us INFJ's, I've always enjoyed competition. I like to try and test my skills prove that my skills are what I believe them to be or to prove myself wrong.

Whether it is mental or physical I very much enjoy competition, you learn so much about a person through competition. including yourself.

What are your views on Competition, positive or negative?
What does competition mean to you?

·
Registered
676 Posts
If it's just a friendly game of pokemon or something just because, I don't mind. But I avoid put-downs and stuff I don't think I have a good chance of winning like the plague.

Reactions: Killbain

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I have never been particularly competitive. Exceptions include my pool-playing days (early to late twenties) and my language tests in the military. With regards to pool, it is always a friendly competition, and never mean-spirited. I always want everyone involved to feel at ease, that they have done their best, and not rub anything in anyone's face. As far as the language tests, it was always more a competition with myself, and wanting to max out the test (I put a lot of effort into studying).

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I am only competitive with my friends and even then it's just friendly in a sense that it doesn't terribly matter to me if I win or lose, but I do like to beat them only I get cocky when I am winning and end up losing, damn.

I really do like to brag to my friends though if I do win lol.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Competition? It depends, if all are winners.
If someone wants to prove himself good at what he's doing by competing against a well established pro, I'm ok with that, but rivalry is something I've never been good with, as it usually promotes fighting for who is better than the other, I'd say that's better suited for Fi users, really.

If I compete, it's usually for the sake of others, and I like competing when I know that it will have a positive effect on those around me, it could be like... standing up for the victimized, making your parents proud, being a reliable person that is there for your team.

So, do I like competition? Not really. But I do feel attracted to the thought of competing with other Fe users.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,471 Posts
Not at all. I avoid it at all costs. The only competition that exists is the competition with myself. I grew up with a very insecure type 3 ENTJ dad. We'd always play board games and he acts so childish about everything, it's enough to make you throw up. And seeing how seriously people take stupid games, it's like what's the point? So people can stroke their stupid ego? No thanks. It makes me feel sick. That's not to say I'm against playing games, just with combative, annoying people I am.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I love competition. Helps me push myself harder and become better. I love challenges and i do become very competitive if it's for something that matters to me.

Reactions: Ntuitive

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
I'm a ruthless competitor. I'll go to sad levels to win, or to ensure the success of the people I'm rooting for. Life without competition is bereft of zest and excitement to me.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
no, i really dislike competition...

there's nothing innately wrong with competition in games, since the purpose of playing games is to win, but it seems imbalanced when the desire to win overrides the ability of all those involved to have fun in the process...winning isn't more important than other people's feelings, enjoyment, or health.

but when competition is not solely in reference to games, but is extended into every aspect of life...? pushing someone else down in order to elevate oneself seems selfish - allowing others to pay an exorbitant price in order to purchase one's own pleasure. you lose out on superficial things by being unselfish, but you lose out on the important things by being selfish. competition superficializes life, as if: relationships don't matter, just the appearance of popularity; who you date doesn't matter, just the fact that it's someone everyone else wishes they could date; excellence doesn't matter, just doing it better than anyone else; authentic reality doesn't matter, just image.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
I prefer co-operation over competition. Co-op mutliplayer games like Mass Effect 3 appeal to me far more than competitive games like Call of Duty. I'd never play PvP servers for MMOs either (assuming I'd ever play the MMO). Stand together, not apart, I say. :eek:)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I like being the best, and that tends to involve competing, so by extension yes, I suppose I do enjoy competition.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
If i'm playing some sort of game and constantly lose, I'll compete to prove myself I guess. In general I feel like if I win all the time that I'm making the other person feel bad, in which case if they win I'll feel good. Kind of a paradox I guess.

·
Registered
131 Posts
oh ya, forgot to mention. don't know what it is, but if i know i'm particularly better than the person, i play worse on purpose. the first excuse that comes to mind... i'm trying to make it harder on myself, or create a pickle for myself that i may solve.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts