Personality Cafe banner

Do the MBTI dramatizations make you feel better/think more about yourself?

• SJ - Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SJ - No

• SP - Yes

• SP - No

• NT - Yes

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • NT - No

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • NF - Yes

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • NF - No

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Unsure/Split - Yes

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Unsure/Split - No

• Don't understand/Not Sure/Other

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(This is a bit of an experiment, please vote at the poll for good results.)

It's clear that not only is the Myers Briggs Theory used to help type and understand ourselves and others, but is also enjoyed as a personal dramatization. Would this because it helps us, fairly aimless, understand ourselves better and feel better instead of contemplating heavy thoughts like "Why am I here? Am I sure about who I am?" Speaking for myself-it does, but I'd like to hear from you about it.

Do the prime subjects and heroic dramatizations of your MBTI make you feel/think better of yourself?

I do not mean this in a condescending way, I am just curious whether or not you feel the same.

·
Registered
719 Posts
My answer is to the title, and sometimes, Yes. I do not believe it is in the way you are thinking though.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My answer is to the title, and sometimes, Yes. I do not believe it is in the way you are thinking though.
I realize the tone of this thread really comes off as condescending. Not that I said anything wrong, but it's just like "So that is why you think x of yourself." Kind of a stuck-up sounding question, but I'm really just wondering about all of your feelings on this.

Do you mean hero like the kind who stands up to great adversity?

·
Banned
2,877 Posts
No. Most descriptions were written with stereotypes/other people in mind. Reading fluffy caricatures alone won't help you understand yourself; introspection is a huge huge huge part of it, and skipping it in favor of the easy way out (convincing yourself that you're speshful/a badass/cooler than all the other types) is unproductive, to say the least.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. Most descriptions were written with stereotypes/other people in mind. Reading fluffy caricatures alone won't help you understand yourself; introspection is a huge huge huge part of it, and skipping it in favor of the easy way out (convincing yourself that you're speshful/a badass/cooler than all the other types) is unproductive, to say the least.
I don't understand how this is about type bias. It's about the feeling when you read that (for example) INTP's are professors in math, science, and technology, or that an INFP is an emotionally advanced humanitarian.

Not that one is superior to the other, just that the person finding out their type can put themselves in the same category as the great people who share their type. I imagine that you feel at least some boost of confidence and self-understanding by knowing how and why your type works like that.

·
Banned
2,877 Posts
I don't understand how this is about type bias. It's about the feeling when you read that (for example) INTP's are professors in math, science, and technology, or that an INFP is an emotionally advanced humanitarian.

Not that one is superior to the other, just that the person finding out their type can put themselves in the same category as the great people who share their type. I imagine that you feel at least some boost of confidence and self-understanding by knowing how and why your type works like that.
Honestly, I feel no "connection" or sense of pride knowing that there are famous people of my type. I guess they can be good examples of how a type can achieve fame, success or whatever, but I can't relate to or put myself on vaguely the same level as them just because we share similar thinking styles.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly, I feel no "connection" or sense of pride knowing that there are famous people of my type. I guess they can be good examples of how a type can achieve fame, success or whatever, but I can't relate to or put myself on vaguely the same level as them just because we share similar thinking styles.
There is a similarity between you and successful people of your type, no connection I guess. I wasn't talking about fame at all, just success. Isn't it true that we should achieve success in a way that best suits our type? Seems to be a recurring theme on all sites like this.

Is it not easy to see yourself becoming the type of person who would make a great example of INTJ?

·
Registered
559 Posts
It's nice to know the famous people who also share my type but I don't believe it influences me. I feel separate from them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts