Personality Cafe banner

Do you like horror movies

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few recent conversations, I have a curious itch I need to scratch.

Reactions: stathamspeacoat

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
A good horror movie is hard to make because once you get passed the climax you remember how bad the story was. Every once in a while there are exceptions and they are great. For the most part the genre is held down by the influx of mediocre music, so "yes" but only if its a good movie. Or "no" unless its good

·
Registered
INTJ
2,172 Posts
I love them. So much.... as long as they follow certain criteria:

• Good production values - otherwise my awareness of it being a movie distracts me. I like to get lost in them.
  • Don't take themselves tooooo seriously - I like a little dark humor mixed in.
  • Aren't gore-based like the Saw movies (although I like the first one) because gore is just gross, not frightening.
  • Legitimately suspenseful - not just people running around/away and screaming. Might as well go to a daycare if that's what entertains you.

Scary dolls are a plus due to memories from my childhood. Also creepy houses, for a similar reason.

If I could find a good one every day, I would watch them every single day.

·
Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
5,692 Posts
For clarification I enjoy a good horror story. It has to be a well thought out plot line or unique to scare me. If it is not I just will end up finding it silly and most horror flicks have me in doubled over laughing.

Horror flicks that I start giggling in would be: The Exorcist, Friday the 13th, or the Grudge.

I do like my classic cult following films but again I can still chuckle in them. My favorite horror would probably include ones that spin horror into humor. Zombieland or Tucker & Dale vs. Evil

I know I'm not your target audience poster but I felt compelled to give my two cents.

FYI, I also don't like gross ones.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yes, I like them. I do prefer the scary and suspenseful ones and tend to watch them alone (OK, I watch every movie alone anyway). I don't watch the gore-for-the-sake-of-gore ones. I also like goofy ones that don't take themselves too seriously (black humor). I hate "The Blair Witch Project" kind of movies though, which pretend to be real. The only thing scary about those tends to be the poor acting. :dry: (having said that, I actually stopped after "The Blair Witch Project" and never bothered with stuff like "Paranormal Activities" in the first place)

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I especially love B-grade horror from the '70s, '80s, and early '90s, including but not limited to: Lucio Fulci's 'Zombie', The Deadly Spawn, The Kindred, Evil Dead 2, Phantasm, Night of the Creeps, Ticks, Slugs, Mosquito, Galaxy of Terror, Tourist Trap, Body Melt, The Stuff, Street Trash, and Killer Klowns from Outer Space.
:crazy:

Scary dolls are a plus due to memories from my childhood.
Ever see Dolly Dearest?
:confused:

Reactions: stathamspeacoat

·
Registered
INTJ
2,172 Posts
Ever see Dolly Dearest?
:confused:
I HAVE. Recently actually, I think it was on Prime Video. It was entertaining for what it was.

I watched "Annabelle: Creation" the other day and that was fairly good.

Other horror movies I saw this week:

Wish Upon - was basically the Wishmaster meets Final Destination. Solid "B" (as for entertainment value)
Happy Death Day - Groundhogs Day meets Scream. Had some really good moments but the ending was sadly obvious. Also a "B"

I would say my fave horror movie is "Drag Me To Hell" (not a scary doll/house movie) but I would consider it more dark comedy than horror.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I hate horror movies. I'm a coward to the core.

Reactions: NeonMidget

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I "like them" as in "sure, why not", which makes it a Yes considering every No in my experience are very explicit on the matter. Not exactly my favorite genre, and there are very few horror movies that are actually good, but I like getting that adrenaline kick or that "ooohh spooky!" sensation on rare occasions.

Doesn't even have to be good; I sleep well when watching bad horror movies, but the best horror movies are the ones that generally have a calm - maybe even soothing - atmosphere and at the same time lets you experience a certain hopelessness for some of the characters to keep your next dose of adrenaline at the ready. The Grudge, The Ring and It Follows does this pretty well. I guess I prefer the supernatural when it comes to horrors. I don't hate jumpscares, but there shouldn't be more than one or two.

I dislike gore a lot, except for Saw because, duh, it's Saw. Mutilation (especially on oneself) and dismemberment makes me feel uneasy beyond the movie experience, so it's really just feeding my already good imagination, which can be a double-edged sword at times. Saw's whole "game" gets a bit ridiculous eventually, and you kinda start enjoying the whole creativity of it all, despite all the cringy gore, so it just becomes entertaining.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Eh, they're ok. I like the sort of horror that makes you feel empty inside, y'know?
Scary monsters don't really do anything for me...

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I usually find most horror movies boring, the times I do like horror movies is when they've got some sci fi or action or story I find interesting... bit those elements make them less of a horror movie

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
I like screaming at the movie theater and

Lol i like it when I'm watching horror movies with my friends and then i will close all the lights, that's the rule.. And then lololol xD sometimes i will suddenly scream then my friend will really get scared not because of the scene but because of my screamm

Lolololol xD

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I LOVE horror movies!

I started collecting movies after I moved out, and so far I have 91 horror movies. Fifty of them are classics from the 1920s to the 1960s. A bunch of them are Italian zombie movies from the early 1980s, absolutely wonderful movies.

My favorites are, of course, the really gory ones. The more blood and gore, the better. Any horror movie that can make me laugh are also super great. I don't mind jump scares in horror movies either.

The only ones I slightly dislike are those that are just about some family moving into a house and then there's ghosts there or something like that. Or the kid gets possessed (?) and starts doing weird stuff. I mean, they're just not scary, nor very interesting. But I'll still watch them, I still like them, I just wish there were either a more interesting (or fun) story or more blood/gore.

·
Registered
224 Posts
When I was young I liked horrors as a genre. But I didn't like most horrors at all. I didn't like those primitive gore-based, those with cheap "rapid boo", most American horrors, especially that genre of "retarded teenagers getting killed by supernatural creepy man", also I was bored by horrors based on Steven Kings' books , I didn't get The Shining at all (I mean it was nauseatingly stupid) . I liked those with deep and logically consistent story...probably I liked only few. My favorite were The Ring and Le locataire.
Currently I don't watch TV or Movies almost at all, because - I don't like them. So I voted NO.

·
Banned
767 Posts
The storytelling of horror movies are generally very uncomfortable experiences. Hate them. Hated IT. Didn't like Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I either fall asleep or move onto something else. Maybe if I had someone to make fun of it with me, I'd find some enjoyment from watching them. They seem like social movies the more I observe them.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
They all play off the fear of the unknown aka emotion of worry.

·
Delphic Seer
18,076 Posts
I’m an INTJ and I LOVE supernatural horror films. Some of my favourites:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts