Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm INFP but I'm just the same. I don't mind if it's a close-fought evenly matched competition and I just edge ahead, but I hate to be winning at something by miles! I sometimes even sabotage a game so that I'm not winning any more.

Unless it's a quiz...I love winning quizzes :eek:)

·
Banned
255 Posts
I'm notoriously uncompetitive. I'm indifferent to winning for its own sake. I don't really attach value to winning or losing.

"Winning" and "losing" only matter to me when there's some kind of tangible loss or reward involved; in which case it's still not really about winning or losing so much as its about the consequences.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I always pull for the underdog. There's a reason they don't make movies where everything happens the way it's supposed to. It boring. It's much more fun when the thing nobody thought could happen starts seem to possible, or even probable.

Unless they're playing a Pittsburgh team. Go Pirates, Pens and Steelers! :cool:

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm INFP but I'm just the same. I don't mind if it's a close-fought evenly matched competition and I just edge ahead, but I hate to be winning at something by miles! I sometimes even sabotage a game so that I'm not winning any more.

Unless it's a quiz...I love winning quizzes :eek:)
I've done that before, played a bit worse so my opponent can catch up sometimes over take me. Then its annoying cos they now think they did it themselves when in reality I helped them. The irony of it all. But its good to see my opponent un-humiliated. I don't mind losing as much as some people. Only thing that gets on my nerves is when they decide to gloat. Also get annoyed when people withhold their happiness like they expected to win or it wasn't difficult.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I enjoy winning very much so and I am very competitive, however if I am winning a lot at something, I may stop trying a bit to let the other person catch up, that way they won't stop trying since they're so far behind. Not claiming I'm a god at sports or something, I just remember playing my step brother a few years ago at Scrabble where I did that.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL. Yeah it could be the reason I slack off, so they don't completely die, lose hope and spoil the game.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yep. Same here. My friends obsses about it, how I'm so uncompetitive and won't try beating them at anything. I hate the attention I get at winning and those who think winning is more important than the challenge itself annoy me... a lot! Well, that's at multiplayer games. At singleplayer games where you compare scores, I love winning. :p I guess I'm just very unsocial. >_>

·
Registered
815 Posts
I don't care about winning or losing most of the time. I rarely play to win... I play for amusement and improvement or nothing.

If I am clobbering my opponent I don't let them catch up, I just keep on going until I win. I've been told that I can be surprisingly merciless sometimes :laughing:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am also uncompetitive, usually. It depends, though, on whether I think my intelligence will be threatened if I lose. I don't usually play chess against humans, but I think I would try hard to win if I did.
At basically anything else, I don't care about winning and am often quite amused if someone gets angry or very excited about the game.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I only feel uncomfortable when I am winning and it's so one sided. I will often handicap myself in order to make things fair. Now I must say I do hate losing, the only way I want to lose is on my own terms. When every possible thing I could of done is exhausted.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In anything from boardgames to physical sports. I always find myself rooting for the underdog, and I tend to feel uncomfortable when I'm winning at something. Is this an INTP thing or am I just a destined loser?
Nah, I just think it's a human thing - we all like to win.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't give a fuck about winning or losing. I like what I like, regardless of whether other people would call it good or bad, win or lose, day or night, black or white, whatever.

I like quality, but I also I like equality. I like profit but I also like generosity. Different ethics, values and desires apply in different situations.

I'm comfortable with winning, as long as I've earnt it, but there very few things i would actually bother to get competetive about in the first place.

Reactions: The Phantom

·
Registered
817 Posts
I played hockey as a kid and would never celebrate a win, or a goal for that matter. And I couldn't stand the childlike mobbing that ensued when it occurred. I understood my teammates were emotionally revved for those instances and never questioned them but having eyebrows raised when I remained straight-faced irked me. Process > result for INTP's. :tongue:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I like to win - quite a bit. I'm notorious for being competitive, even among people I barely talk to but I guess that stems from everyone going, 'You're so argumentative.' But I like to win. Always.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am only competitive for activities I care for and enjoy. Otherwise, the only other reason I have for being competitive is if I have a moderately good chance of winning or being among the top winners. If I don't have any of those motivations, I tend to be completely uncompetitive without a care as my peers had told me before. Also, if I have a huge advantage over a majority of the people I'm going against, I would most likely slow down so everyone's at the same pace.

As for winners... I rarely have any reason to appreciate them, but I don't mind. Unless the winning side had consecutive wins -- then I'd be cheering for the losing side.

·
Registered
100 Posts
So, to all ya'll that say that you don't care about winning:

Let's say that sit down to play a nice game of Scrabble with a worthy opponent. The game is going good, it's challenging, and you're both maintaining a pretty similar score. The bag of tiles empties, and all that you are left with is the tiles in front of you.

How are you feeling at this point? Endorphins? A little adrenaline rush? Perhaps a little anxiety, that you might lose?

Or are you 100% indifferent. That you don't care whatsoever of the outcome?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts