Personality Cafe banner

Well?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I listen to music all the time when I am studying. But many people I know don't like it at all. What about you?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I don't listen to music while I study because it distracts me. Mainly because whatever music I tend to listen is too inspiring for a boring assignment or the like. It'll just make me think about interesting things and make me daydream. Which is probably not something I should be doing while studying. :(

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I listen to music and it affects my abilities positively. If I study in silence, my mind wonders on hundred places simultaneously, if I listen to something, it concentrates only on music, so it's actually helping. But it should not be new music, because then I would scan it all the times; if I know it, I know what will happen next and thus don't think about it. Also, easy listening over something really crazy.

·
Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
3,253 Posts
Music without vocals ftw!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I always have two stages in my studying. The first is where I'll be reading through textbooks and notes figuring out the methods, ideas, etc..., and the second is where I actually begin applying what I figured out to solve problems, write papers, or do things.

In stage one, I need it really quiet so I can focus all of my attention on the text, to teach myself, and in stage two, I need some music to keep me motivated while cranking out the problems, since I now know what to do, just need to do it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I agree with @Spades . Something without vocals is the way to go. I also find it helps me at work too. I can focus on production and blank out the world around me.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Yes - it helps me by focusing me and kind of tethering my mind for a bit so it can stay still long enough to take in the information.

It doesn't have to be without vocals, but a lot of the songs on my "studying for real and getting shit done" playlist are pure instrumental.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I chose Other because it depends what sort of studying I'm doing and whether I particularly feel like listening to music.

Music is usually far too distracting for me to study to. Most of my favourite stuff to listen to is loud and has a lot going on, and it gets me moving and interested; far more interested in it than in what I'm studying! Silence and an environment with just me and the work is usually the best way to go.

It's not exclusively the case though. I have some electronic music that works really well to revise to, so long as I keep the volume low so I can ignore it. A couple of days it was The Glitch Mob I had on for revising to. :happy:

·
Registered
ENFP, 7w6
2,123 Posts
I've GOT to have some music on! I go nuts in a room that's too quiet (I typically come home from work to a silent house, two kids on the computer, and say "For Pete's sake! Turn some music on or something!").

In all seriousness... it's as if soft music in the background gives the distracting/distractable part of my ENFP brain something to gnaw on while what thinking part I possess gets work done, uninterrupted.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I get distracted, if I don't listen music when I study. I usually choose something that blends into background, like a soundtrack or classical.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This! I need some kind of background music to keep my mind from wandering while I study, but music with vocals can distract me more than help me. Which is why I have a playlist of soundtracks and other instrumental music. :)
I agree with VertigoH
Soft instrumentals and soundtracks all the way <3 ^_^

For example if I were to do an essay, saying the words in my head how I want to write it. Whilst I'm listening to music with vocals, I find it collides my thought process and I loose track of it more easily in comparison to instrumentals.
If there's no music I feel uneasy sometimes and end up day dreaming for while.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have never studied in my entire life.

Not sure if I could even if I wanted to.

·
Registered
198 Posts
A lot of the time I listen to electronic music while studying and it helps keep my brain alert and motivates my mental processes to be quicker.

·
Registered
461 Posts
It's psychologically proven that it does affect the learning ability and focus, regardless of it having vocals or not

·
Registered
29 Posts
I listen to music and it affects me. If I study for economics or anything like it, I prefer to have less music at times. If I do something creative (draw, cad, layout, write instructions, whatever) I prefer to have music as it helps my creativity.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts