Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ambience being out of bounds or other worldly. I may be off base on this, but that's what ISFP strikes me as.

·
Registered
265 Posts
No. If anything, I would imagine ISFP to be one of the more grounded types of the sixteen. I see things how they are, and although I may idealize things a bit, I am certainly not in an other-wordly state.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Otherworldly, different? Yes. I have yet to meet anyone like me so that leads me to believe that my perspectives aren´t all that common. I can superficially get along with most people but, with the rare exception, there is nothing deeper, nothing worthy of maintaining. It´s a constant source of loneliness for me. Hopefully I´ve just been looking in the wrong places.

How I tend to view the world can be compared by combining the thoughts of Henry Thoreau and Carl Sagan. Both had a very realistic view of reality but it isn´t commonly seen with most people. Both individuals had a great deal of respect towards nature, individualism, creativity, and understanding our place in the world - also things I highly respect in myself and in other people.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sorry, but I don't really understand the question. I'm not a native English speaking person. Have never heard the word "ambience" before.

I looked it up!: ambiance (plural ambiances)

1.A particular mood or atmosphere of an environment or surrounding influence.

Definition of AMBIENCE
: a feeling or mood associated with a particular place, person, or thing : atmosphere

Definition of OTHERWORLDLY
1a : of, relating to, or resembling that of a world other than the actual world

My question is: what is the ACTUAL world? It's subjective for everyone.
But yes, the environment or surrounding influence does effect my mood. (Who doesn't it effect though?)
I associate certain feelings to certain music. But every song isn't associated with a certain feeling. That would be draining.
And certain places to certain incidents and feelings. Same with smells.

But I don't know if I've answered the question correctly. I thought this was how everyone works.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Otherworldly, different? Yes. I have yet to meet anyone like me so that leads me to believe that my perspectives aren´t all that common. I can superficially get along with most people but, with the rare exception, there is nothing deeper, nothing worthy of maintaining. It´s a constant source of loneliness for me. Hopefully I´ve just been looking in the wrong places.
Yes, in a sense, I am indeed unique. Even regarding the other ISFP I know, I don't feel they know the Real me at all. This is all I can say that is otherworldly. I myself have a hard time with superficial relations and really finding friends that I care about.

Sagan is such a bastion of clear thought, eh?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I can really relate to this.
Thank you for saying :happy:

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm not sure if I understand the question, but I'll give it a go.

I don't relate to the "other worldy" part. This seems like it would be more of an N tendency, but I'm not sure? I see myself as realistic and grounded, but this is subjective. I'm quick to spot whatever good there is in a situation, but I'm still very aware of the bad and know it will have to be dealt with.

Someone else posted a definition for ambience. . .

" feeling or mood associated with a particular place, person, or thing : atmosphere".

This I can relate to. I'm very aware of my surroundings, whether it's the mood of others, or the sterile white walls when I walk into a hospital. My surroundings do rub off on my mood and behavior. It happens in the moment, though. If someone was mad at me the last time I saw them, I would feel bad about it at the time. Next time I see them, though, I've moved past whatever disagreement we had and start fresh.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes, in a sense, I am indeed unique. Even regarding the other ISFP I know, I don't feel they know the Real me at all. This is all I can say that is otherworldly. I myself have a hard time with superficial relations and really finding friends that I care about.

Sagan is such a bastion of clear thought, eh?
Ahh... a fellow Sagan fan, cool.

Thank you for saying :happy:
Thanks. On one hand it kind of sucks to like that but then again when we meet someone who we really click with then we experience a friendship that runs deeper and is more fulfilling than many friendships experienced by other people. Fortunately I can say that though experience so it isn´t all bad.

" feeling or mood associated with a particular place, person, or thing : atmosphere".

This I can relate to. I'm very aware of my surroundings, whether it's the mood of others, or the sterile white walls when I walk into a hospital. My surroundings do rub off on my mood and behavior. It happens in the moment, though. If someone was mad at me the last time I saw them, I would feel bad about it at the time. Next time I see them, though, I've moved past whatever disagreement we had and start fresh.
Well, I guess that can certainly explain a lot of my bad moods - working at a place where I tune the same circuits all day, where talking and any kind of self-expression is looked down upon, where I can´t even listen to music on headphones because it doesn´t look ¨professional¨, where new arbitrary rules are created every day. It is ISFP hell, I swear. I bet a lot of my depression and anxiety will lift once I leave there.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Well, I guess that can certainly explain a lot of my bad moods - working at a place where I tune the same circuits all day, where talking and any kind of self-expression is looked down upon, where I can´t even listen to music on headphones because it doesn´t look ¨professional¨, where new arbitrary rules are created every day. It is ISFP hell, I swear. I bet a lot of my depression and anxiety will lift once I leave there.
This is how I felt everyday when I walked into the building at my previous job. Complete silence, everyone is serious, most co-workers keep their office doors closed all day long. I'd pick up on everyone else's mood, and the dark dusty atmosphere of the building, and it would completely suppress my otherwise bubbly mood. It was hell. When I tried to explain to others that I just didn't like the "atmosphere" at my job, though, most people couldn't understand this.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyrjw
Thank you for saying

Thanks. On one hand it kind of sucks to like that but then again when we meet someone who we really click with then we experience a friendship that runs deeper and is more fulfilling than many friendships experienced by other people. Fortunately I can say that though experience so it isn´t all bad.
You're welcome. It's the truth.:happy:
I agree with that too. The few people who I'm friends with, and this took a loooong time:laughing:, I'm really good friends with.
I'm glad that you speak from experience(no I'm not being facitious(sp?)):happy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride

This is very familiar too.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
This is how I felt everyday when I walked into the building at my previous job. Complete silence, everyone is serious, most co-workers keep their office doors closed all day long. I'd pick up on everyone else's mood, and the dark dusty atmosphere of the building, and it would completely suppress my otherwise bubbly mood. It was hell. When I tried to explain to others that I just didn't like the "atmosphere" at my job, though, most people couldn't understand this.
I strongly, strongly relate to this.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Ambience being out of bounds or other worldly. I may be off base on this, but that's what ISFP strikes me as.
It sounds like you are getting us confused with INFPs. Or maybe you are thinking this because ISFPs are one of the types commonly associated with the hippies and Flower Children (because of how much we love animals and the environment and much other stuffs.)

ISFPs are typically very down to earth. We may be a little spontaneous and sometimes risk taking but we know what we are getting into.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts