Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a bit of a rant / question, but this was always something on my mind.

With thinking at the forefront, I tend to see the world in terms of statistics - what are my chances for this and that. I really don't like going out on a lam, especially if I don't have a good chance at "making it big" in that field.

That being said, I do envy those who can just look at the odds, dump it in the garbage can, and try for their personal dreams anyways without a care in the world for probability. This can translate to those who become the first in their family for a different career (history professor vs a family of medical personnel) or those who achieve the highest at something that can potentially result in nothing (entrepreneurs and athletes).

My question is this to you guys: Do you guys live life authentically...or do you play to probability?

Reactions: Froody Blue Gem

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I generally have always lived my life, period. 7 billion people on this planet and I'm the only fucking one I have to live with and I do a very 'authentic' job of it. I've never run for congress or president so I've never given a damn about anyones vote.

​<<<<<<------------------take it frum a koon!

Short of committing the act of murder for those times in my life when I've actually considered it........I've been about as Authentic as I think I can be.

Reactions: Froody Blue Gem

·
Registered
830 Posts
Is both an answer? I feel that describes me best. I like to think I have a grand plan (and sometimes like one was assigned to me) but I also randomly deviate and go with it. There is usually a lot of planning in there but to outsiders and sometimes myself, it wouldn't seem so.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
As I hit my 20's, that's when my personality had solidified enough to really allow me to live authentic.
After that, I see no other way for me.

As for "making it big" in any field; it's not what drives me. Much more, overcoming the obstacles; "The road there is the goal".
Lower probability = Bigger obstacle = More fun.

It's what drove me to become a Jack-of-All-Trades/generalist. One trade alone didn't offer enough (enduring) challenge.
This is also the reason I have (to?) many hobbies and side projects.:bored:

·
Registered
INTJ | 5w4 | sp/sx
2,806 Posts
I'd be further ahead career-wise if I were the type of person to disregard the odds, but I wouldn't be me if I'd done so. Doing that would go against my idea of authenticity.

I rarely make a move without assessing the why, the risk, how does this benefit me, does it make sense and where do I plan to go next... and checking in to make sure that whatever I do fits into the idea of 'me' is second nature.

So maybe the answer is both? I moved cross country for something I wanted with $12 in my bank account and with hope that things would work out fine. However, the practical side of my couldn't make that move without contingency plans in place. And once enough calculated risks work in your favor, you get a feel for when to make them.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Not in the sense of "not being deceptive and secretive" == authentic; I'm not sure that parses right, but I usually think of authenticity as openness and honesty, which I value as personal qualities. However, I think probabilistic estimations, back-of-envelope thinking are a help, not a hindrance, to most daily efforts, and for me, it doesn't require any additional energy. It's automatic, rapid, and very often within the ballpark of being correct.

Even in the OP's special senses of the terms, I agree with Liove. They are two halves of one side of a coin.

I act according to different methods for different situations. For everyday transactions, "business," and so forth, I prefer to have a series of more-or-less definite acts in my repertoire of behavior, which are applied as I see fit and which are indeed based on a rough computation of likely outcomes, although mostly unconsciously.

However, not everything requires that -- improvisation, play, and an adventurous spontanaeity based on feelings and intuition are important, without losing the ability to observe one's own mental and physical acts for future analysis.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,481 Posts
I am not sure of what is meant between authenticity - (i.e., "self-honesty) - and living by 'statistics/probabilies' ... unless it is meant that, (false hopes/false integrity via evident statistical analysis - lose/lose probabilities), is inauthentic (i.e sub-optimal) to ones well-being in the making to engage in spite this fact, to which I would have to agree.

Although "well-being" (i.e., self-care) and "ambition/happiness/debt/power" (i.e., self-promotion), are two distinct areas.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Can't it be both? I think that trying to live without always thinking about probability/possibility/consequences wouldn't be authentic, that would be me trying to be someone else. Maybe your dichotomy could be something along comfort zone and stepping out of the comfort zone, or risk taking etc. Sometimes I feel like I'm playing things too safe, I wouldn't call that inauthentic living but I'm aware of the fact that sometimes taking the riskier route will teach me more.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Although "well-being" (i.e., self-care) and "ambition/happiness/debt/power" (i.e., self-promotion), are two distinct areas.
Hm.

No comment, just a reminder to myself that this is an interesting discrimination that I should think about more.

I don't ask the Cat to expand, but until I've considered this, it's not discouraged.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The idea of living authentically (i.e. following what I want to do) appeals to me on some level, but it seems absurdly reckless to me to not constantly be watching probabilities. Pretty much every action I take is carefully considered to minimize risk to myself. I have to look out for my own well-being, or who will?

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 xII-Ne
2,621 Posts
I think I live my life authentically enough. I try my best to be true to myself, be productive, and stay positive. I am not a dishonest person persay but I don't open up to just anyone. I have to know I can trust a person. I have worried about not being authentic on a subconscious level and I wouldn't want to go down a path that wasn't me or be forces into it. It is not an easy thing when there are so many voices shouting at you. I do love statistics and take them into account, but I live in the "what if" and see things from my experiences, what I connect it to, etc. Sometimes, my thought process is not realistic but I am able to separate fantasy from reality. I can be a bit on the neurotic side, maybe a lot on the neurotic side. I follow my dreams but work goes into dreams or at least, if you want to be realistic. There is more that is possible than some may think.

I can go off into ni-fe land and go into all sorts of places but life isn't about sitting around and expecting people to do things for you. I have a plan and I have been working towards it, parts of it may not be clear but I know what I want and I don't give up once I have a goal in mind. Some things don't have to go 100% according to plan, as long as I get to my end goal in one piece and I didn't slack off along the way.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
I don't want to repeat above's statement, but I think I finally understand what people like you, or even just you, are saying.

No, not a joke. In a few paragraphs you made it legible to me what a thought that isn't my own is like.

You really said it.

If you put those two paragraphs in a pamphlet, people should read it.

Wow. I'm always surprised when I want to thank someone for anything. You really brought it, FBG.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I primarily play to probability. The so-called 'authentic' lifestyle, as you called it, I have found to be, through observation of sensing dominants, actually not authentic at all, but rather their desperate attempt to avoid acknowledging the probailistic lifestyle's advantages, because they are incapable of engaging in probabilistic thinking.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,040 Posts
Living life authentically for me is just existing. I don't know any other way to live. For me, falsehoods, misleading, and manipulation clouds the mind the way drugs/alcohol might. I don't have the luxury of living a "foggy" life; I want the full deal, and that means standing up for what is true and right, though I go about it much more quietly than one might imagine.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,481 Posts
Hm.

No comment, just a reminder to myself that this is an interesting discrimination that I should think about more.

I don't ask the Cat to expand, but until I've considered this, it's not discouraged.
It is my knowledge - that being ambition free - debt free - child free - god free - power free - husband free - absence of "happiness" fetishes (ex; magical-thinking/false hopes/false fears) - increases intellectual (ex; philosophizing), reduces stupidities and increases moral intergity, - minimizing said distraction(s), as well as make life better lived philosophically. Thus, makes a specimen one step closer to increasing ones well-being/agency.

I am conflicted on whether I wish to expand my well-being; or the latters more. The former(s) demonstrably conflict with my proper self-care.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My sister is an INTJ and she lives pretty authentically, I would say, but she also lives according to her Te observations she makes even when it might be uncomfortable for her. I can definitely see the Fe-Fi contrast between us.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
It is my knowledge - that being ambition free - debt free - child free - god free - power free - husband free - absence of "happiness" fetishes (ex; magical-thinking/false hopes/false fears) - increases intellectual (ex; philosophizing), reduces stupidities and increases moral intergity, - minimizing said distraction(s), as well as make life better lived philosophically. Thus, makes a specimen one step closer to increasing ones well-being/agency.

I am conflicted on whether I wish to expand my well-being; or the latters more. The former(s) demonstrably conflict with my proper self-care.
Thank you. I hadn't considered things in that way as a possibility.

I'd consider your list of freedoms to be remarkably close to certain aspects of some forms of classical Stoicism; for me, that philosophy, say, inspired for me mostly by Seneca and supplemented by a rough Aristotelian mish-mash from A.'s work on Ethics and in his De Anima, about exhausts my practical interest in the topic.

Of course that's deliberately restricted and simple-minded, a bit, but hey, I can't think about everything, nor even put much effort into creating an internal consistency for a pragmatism of a certain kind.

I'm going to remain silent on the rest of your content, but it was worth reading.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts