Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you here feel like you look (or are perceived by others as looking) significantly older or younger than you actually are...and how do you feel about this? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Looking a lot younger runs in my family...my father is almost 50 but looks like he's in his mid-thirties (and often is presumed to be my husband!), while I'm in my mid-twenties but can already look up to ten years younger. At first glance nobody thinks I'm over twenty, and in sporty clothes and sans make-up I can even get pegged at fifteen or so :crazy: One disadvantage of this is that I often feel I have to dress up to the nines in order to be taken seriously!

Of course, there are also many advantages...like being one of the few among my peers with no visible signs of aging :happy:

Do you have any interesting experiences when it comes to appearing a lot younger/older than you actually are? :happy:

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
I get told I look younger than I am. People think I am 4 years younger .

I don't think there is anything wrong with looking younger than your age, because isn't that what people strive for when they get older? My mum is 52, but you wouldn't guess it at all. People are usually shocked and think she is in her early 40's. I hope to keep these good genes. xD

·
Registered
102 Posts
I look younger, but I behave more maturely than my peers. It's GOOOD! I guess ... Oh, one of the benefits of a girl looking younger is that you get lots of affection and protection. Haha... People also tend to think I'm young and innocent LOL until I open my mouth and talk. So much fun!! Just surprising everyone.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I look 2 to 7 years younger, depending on the day. I'm 25 and I still get the "are you above 18?" Especially when I'm not wearing make up.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Usually 2-4 years younger. I'm usually confused for being 14. I get passed kids menus in restaurants and funny looks when I buy lottery tickets.

·
Registered
361 Posts
In my teens I was said to be younger 'No way you're 16, you look 13-14'
'You're 19?! I thought you were 28!' wat. :dry:
Lol, I have a similar situation here. I think it often depends on the person's perception of what is 'older-looking' and what is 'younger-looking'. Sometimes I'm estimated to be a few years younger, other times a few years older. But never my exact age :tongue:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Since I'm currently pretty young, this might be useless information, but.

When I was younger, people would always assume I was older. Now people guess around my actual age, or slightly younger sometimes. My parents both look WAY younger than they are, so hopefully I get blessed with that luck too :wink:

·
Maid of Time
14,753 Posts
shakti said:
How many of you here feel like you look (or are perceived by others as looking) significantly older or younger than you actually are...and how do you feel about this? What are the advantages/disadvantages?
Yes, I am perceived as being in the 28-32 range, based on both appearance + attitude, versus being in my mid-40's (my actual age).

Looking a lot younger runs in my family...my father is almost 50 but looks like he's in his mid-thirties (and often is presumed to be my husband!), while I'm in my mid-twenties but can already look up to ten years younger. At first glance nobody thinks I'm over twenty, and in sporty clothes and sans make-up I can even get pegged at fifteen or so
Yup, some of this is good genes, although I think part of it is life attitude as well -- it determines how we dress and how we present ourselves publicly, both in terms of attitude as well as actual appearance. My parents are both "old" in spirit and they both look their age and always did, for example. My ex, too... but I seemed to be 30 when I was 12, and now that I'm past 30, I'm still around 30. ;)

One disadvantage of this is that I often feel I have to dress up to the nines in order to be taken seriously!
That definitely can be a disadvantage in a professional situation (for example), where age = apparent experience and the amount of attention people give to your words.

Of course, there are also many advantages...like being one of the few among my peers with no visible signs of aging
That part is fun.

Do you have any interesting experiences when it comes to appearing a lot younger/older than you actually are?

Well, nothing REALLY crazy. I mean, I've been carded a few times in the last five years, which is kind of flattering. I also had the airflight attendants examine my driver's license more carefully because they thought it was "fake" -- although what thirty-year-old woman would want to lie to make herself seem really old on her license? *doh*

There's also a lot of people at work who are shocked when they find out I have teenagers; since I'm separated, some people don't realize I've even been married, let alone have kids at all.

It's actually caused me some issues when dating / posting my profile on dating sites. For example, I get hit on by 25-30 year olds but that feels a little young for me based on my life experience; many of them have never been married nor had kids, so there's a culture gap. Meanwhile, I get hit on by a LOT of guys in the 45-60 range who see my picture and immediately target me because I'm their age but look very very young -- yet they tend to be guys who LOOK their age or older, and who have very different (and often "stodgy") attitudes about life than I do, so there's nothing in common there.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I've always looked younger than my age. Since I was 12 or so, it seems I've stopped physically aging. People still think I'm 12 even though I'm almost 22. I think it's got a lot to do with my height, though. I'm 4'11".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ugh, I don't know what to think! I think I look older, but I think its because my eyes look old. Most people guess me to be a year or so younger, and most people look more "mature" compared to me, and thus older. Yet when I look in the mirror I see such a worn out person, old in the sense of the life is being sucked dry out of my body. Yet I think my mannerisms, how I act, make me seem young. Yet even then a lot of what I say and do gets pegged by those older than me as being exceedingly mature for me. On the other hand, I am sometimes the most ridiculous, silly, and informal person in situations, a certain childishness that others lack.

I think look is misleading, I guess if you walked by me, maybe a year younger, but I think if I was working quietly next to someone, they would get the feeling I am old and near death. Though really, I don't know. I just sense in myself when I look at myself a certain older, lifelessness, a worn out look, and my personality/behavior/mannerisms, paint a picture of someone older at times, or younger, I guess my appearance meets in the middle?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm 22 and get told I look 16 or younger a lot. I find this a bit odd since I think that I look like I'm in my late twenties to early thirties. This is especially annoying at work because people tend to not take me as seriously. Patrons call me "sweetie" a lot and one of my patrons even went so far as to say "I'm surprised they hire high school kids. Must be a tough first day on the job" I've been with this company for seven years...

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm 23 years old but I'm always mistaken for a 14-15 year old. No stranger would even believe me when I tell them that I'm 23 years old. In College, I've been mistaken as a High School student. :frustrating:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I look younger. At my last job, my co-workers all thought I was 16. I'm 23. It's cool, I guess, but I've noticed a downside in relation to dating. I only ever seem to get hit on by dudes younger than myself. I think the ones my age and older are afraid I'm jailbait. I'm notoriously bad at guessing the ages of guys...I once hit on a 17 year old who I would swear looked 25. So I'm honestly not sure what to do about the whole business.

I rambled a bit, but yeah.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I look younger. Someone thought I was 19 yesterday (I'm 24).

When I was getting ready to go away to college, we were at Bed Bath & Beyond buying odds and ends, and at check-out the lady at the cash register asked if I was going to be sad when my older sister left for school. She thought there was no way I looked old enough to be going to college.

I eat very healthily, don't smoke, don't drink excessively, and both meditate and excercise daily. My parents also are aging quite well, so I'm hopeful for my future. ;)

It's whatever. I don't mind. If getting carded constantly is the price I have to pay for not looking like I'm seventy when I'm fifty, I will gladly take it.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts